User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

IT is impolite to disrupt speeches, but usually the stuff coming out of politics mouth is rhetorical bullshit anyways.No biggy
    1+1=3 OMFG

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's a strategy, trying to discredit or put the heckled person in a bad light, I've seen worse in politics.

In my own goverment, there's this one guy that has some charisma and often says a few things a lot of us citizens are thinking, but otherwise he has not brought much substance to the table at all. Meanwhile he regularly puts competitors on the defense by making unrelated analogies ourely meant to disrupt the competitor, which often works because not all of them are witty enough to come up with a proper counter remark, and not saying anything is also widely seen as defeat by that man's followers. And half the country (well not half, but a considerable part) of the people follow that dude like he is their saviour. And I am like, why are you so freaking blind!?

But then again, it just proves how smart and influential that person really is. He knows how to play the masses and he does it well.

Most people are sheep, why should politics not take advantage of that? Even though it is ethically wrong, it is reality.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    American political heckling is so tame compared to most countries, so I wouldn't fret too much.
    I'd prefer it stayed that way.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is this just a sign of the times? Is the office of the President of the U.S. respected less? Or is this specific to Pres. Obama?
    I think it's a sign of the times. I think Obama just happens to be in office when mores are changing. I think it's a direct result of the Not My President sentiment that actually began during GWB's administration. People just don't feel the need to respect the office anymore. They feel free to call a president illegitimate, disavow him, or attempt to remove him from office simply because he wasn't the guy they voted for. That's how we get shameful, transparent tactics like the birther movement - as if they would give a shit whether Obama was born on the Moon as long as he was conservative. It's just another sign that the polarization of American politics has crossed the rubicon of sanity.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I'd prefer it stayed that way.
    But I think too much positivity can be dangerous. Politicians need to be questioned and challenged; they should have to earn respect, not demand it. That said, I don't want everyone to behave like children (which is how the reporter behaved in this case).

Besides I think that America counters all that positivity in other ways: namely atrocious, below the belt, lies and mudslinging between candidates. This scares me more.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

But I think too much positivity can be dangerous. Politicians need to be questioned and challenged; they should have to earn respect, not demand it. That said, I don't want everyone to behave like children (which is how the reporter behaved in this case).

Besides I think that America counters all that positivity in other ways: namely atrocious, below the belt, lies and mudslinging between candidates. This scares me more.
    I'm not sure metaphorical mudslinging is more sinister than literal mudslinging in this context. Mob incitation can happen in many ways. So can disrespect. In a democratic society, I persist in believing bullshit can be called without employing it, but I am an idealist and many would disagree.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I liken it to a kid talking back, or disrespecting, his parents. By the time that happens, things have already been going wrong. It is just a side effect of an ineffective system having been in place. And we know this to be the case in our political system; it's just too large a problem to easily fix. At least that is everyone's perception anyway.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

the 'system' hasn't changed. The perception that the president is not a serious person who demands respect has. You can decide the reasons for yourselves.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

American political heckling is so tame compared to most countries, so I wouldn't fret too much. You should see NZ parliament when a MP makes a speech to the house (or UK or Australian parliament for that matter). Although I must say, I certainly don't think it's at all appropriate for a reporter to interrupt a speech - they're there to listen and get answers, not to stir up trouble.

I remember reading an article about American politics back in the 19th and early 20th centuries where heckling was commonplace; in fact it was considered that the ability to deal with hecklers that was a mark of a quality politician. The writer almost lamented the lack of it in contemporary times, saying it's all too polite now and politicians aren't being challenged enough.

First time I saw a New Zealand Parliament session. (I'm from the USA)

Re the article you read: That's interesting, makes me want to do a bit of reeeeeseaaarrrrrch....
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    P.S. Tucker Carlson defends his reporter, saying "He was doing what reporters are supposed to do -- get their questions answered".
    The cardinal rule of being a reporter is "report the news, don't create the news". Seems to me like some twat with a bumblefuck newspaper (Daily Caller? lol) is trying to make a name for himself. Same thing goes for that peasant Joe Wilson. He should have had his ass thrown out of the Congress for being such a disrespectful oaf. At least they made him apologize.

It seems like it became fashionable to be a partisan fucktard. It's like those debate shows where you see two idiots shout party soundbites over each other under the guise of "discussion". It upsets me to no end.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.