User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Trolls and Trolling.

Perhaps this belongs in the bonfire but I'm posting it here because I'm thinking of it more in terms of culture and norms presently.

What way do you define trolls and trolling? Does it have wholly negative connotations or is it something you've either wanted to do yourself or known others to want to do and why?

My two bits, it is something which is wholly negative, usually involving driving people to breaking point and finding this satisfying. In the real world the same behaviour is exhibited by stalkers, certain sorts of predators and bullies. Its not something I'd ever want to do and I'd take being accused of trolling seriously and examine my behaviour (this happened to me once when I was seventeen).

I'm concerned by it because I think the internet does have a shaping influence on people, online norms fast become off line norms and expectations.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There are two kinds of trolls. Some trolls are funny, they just make jokes and sarcastic remarks, and post funny pictures.

Other trolls are pieces of shit who want to sadistically torture people, and some are more obvious than others. The worst kind of troll never gets banned because they know how to fuck with people without breaking the rules.

I like funny trolls, it's kind of like being a prankster or a smartass in real life. The other kind of troll is an abomination.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Trolling is abusing ones anonimity for any reason or lack thereof.

I could write a very long post about it, but it basicly comes down to that one sentence. I think it sums it up quite well.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I pretty much agree with what Marmie said.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't because by her definition I would call myself a troll, and I find that the satirical funnypants is an integral and essential part of any group or social construct. And therefor it can't be called trollish behaviour, as that behaviour plays a very important role.

I'm not trying to be funny!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Like I said, I pretty much agree. There are different types of trolling, and different people will define it differently. There are the more harmless trolls which will do things like give a one word answer to a long paragraph just to see if it will mess with the poster, and as Marmie said, the sarcastic responder. And there are worse trolls like the ones that do things like relentlessly attack people with the sole intention of trying to upset them. One could argue that they are just different levels of the same thing though.

I admit that I do a little bit of the lighter trolling myself. And personally I think that the deadpan snarker of the group is also the troll of the group. On some level anyways.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think sometimes it can be useful as a way of swatting the hand from being burnt in the fire, however I agree deriving pleasure from giving pain to the other is pretty sick. I think it's often a form of "dominating" or otherwise trying to control the situation/person or the negative feelings that arise in us because they remind us of something painful. Often it is a way of disassociating from the situation because "that is inherently bad/weak/shameful/whatever and I am not like that." This is why trolls often run when confronted with their own interpretation of the situation
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.