User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Quebec Student Strikes

So... personally I don't engage in public protest but there is something pretty serious going on in my city.

I know enough about it that I can discuss it and it's interesting enough.

Mainly because while it started as a protest of a simple tuition hike, it's developed into a general show of discontentment with corruption in "democracy".

This is a really vague target for a protest and the tactics have been just as unclear.
    The main example of this is "les casseroles" which is just people sitting on their stoop or gathering at intersections and banging on pots and pans. It's Montreal so of course this usually develops into some tribal-esque musical situation.

Anyway...

I'm curious how much you guys are hearing about it in other countries and also what you think about public education, police violence or wtv related topic.

[YOUTUBE="wgnJHKtuUVE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wgnJHKtuUVE[/YOUTUBE]

pretty good video if you're lucky enough to understand quebec french.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh wait I should post something inflammatory to get this going...

uhhhhh...
    wails from the crypt.

Ok, first off of what I've been reading.

The student protest wasn't particularly the reason why the protest skyrocketed. It skyrocketed because the Quebec government(?) made it harder to protest (after so many days where the students have been in the streets anyhow.) The government basically assumed you HAVE to tell them that you protest otherwise you are going against the law. They basically made a rules and regulations on where, how, and when you can protest. The fact that they decided to pass that law making it harder to protest pretty much ballooned to every other aspect of the government. Once you notice corruption, it is hard to ignore.

Since I'm sort of criss-crossing on what I am reading between Montreal(or Red Squares)-OWS-Yo Soy 132. Those 3 have something in common, they all started as student protests (give or take if you wanted to go a few years back for OWS.)

What do I think about the Protests in Montreal? I wholeheartedly support it. Likewise, I wholeheartedly support the Yo Soy 132 protests also. Although... you might not like the people standing on the streets for 100 days straight and banging on pots and pans.

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    I'm curious how much you guys are hearing about it in other countries and also what you think about public education, police violence or wtv related topic.
    I usually learn about it by word of mouth or media(online, streaming) that actually talk about it. Like I said, MSM don't usually talk about these things.

Public Education: The college campus around here has faced about a 200% increase in tax in the last decade while cuts to education has pretty much been overblown. So... I feel for those students. There was a nationwide student protest in the U.S. that happened sometime around 2010? I believe. Student debt has also risen to 1 trillion+ and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Police violence: Likewise, something similar happened here that got national attention, students who've locked hands gotten pepper-sprayed. There is a lot more, but the only one that I know to be really Militant is in Oakland.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168154...quebec-mexico#

While the Nation is more or less a more liberal media outlet, it does talk more about Occupy a lot more than the other MSMs that choose to ignore these topics.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Police violence: Likewise, something similar happened here that go national attention, students who've locked hands gotten pepper-sprayed.
    The UC Davis incident.

I don't have much sympathy for the students who got sprayed, but that lieutenant screwed up. When people are resisting passively (like those students were) you get a bunch of officers together to implement the habeas grabus (carry them off). You do not use less-lethal force (OC spray, baton, Taser, beanbag shotgun) unless people are actively fighting.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    The UC Davis incident.

I don't have much sympathy for the students who got sprayed, but that lieutenant screwed up. When people are resisting passively (like those students were) you get a bunch of officers together to implement the habeas grabus (carry them off). You do not use less-lethal force (OC spray, baton, Taser, beanbag shotgun) unless people are actively fighting.
    Yeah, I refrained from saying UC Davis

The Campus Police should be allowed to remove them, but not spraying them like that when they are just sitting there.

MBTI
    INTJ

People are getting beaten senseless with batons every night because it's now illegal.

I don't know the numbers for how many people are currently in the streets but even before the new law the protest was huge and had lasted weeks. Most of the people you see at the protests are still students or protest enthusiasts. But yeah ever since the new law came out the involvement of the general public is up, mainly through casseroles though.

So the funny thing about the pot banging is that it's a neighbourhood activity with lots of children and, well... normal old people taking part. Why I say that's funny is because nobody is really bothered by it.

The Primiere called it a threat; and if it weren't in reaction to his passing an anti-protest law I think he'd be fair to say that. But defying the new law is I think what the casserole is justified by instead of reminding the governing body that we run the streets or wtv. It's important that we can resist the act of legislating because we really can't resist military or police action, the most we can even hope for is the luck to escape unhurt.
    wails from the crypt.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Oh wait I should post something inflammatory to get this going...

uhhhhh...
    Its a shame it takes that to get peoples attention.

I've heard nothing about this what so ever, not been reported here at all. Although developments in Syria and the US and UK twisting Europe, in particularly Germany's arm to try and use their taxes to pull of the Keynesian policies that the rest of the world and they need to end this depression are monopolising the headlines.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

People are getting beaten senseless with batons every night because it's now illegal.

I don't know the numbers for how many people are currently in the streets but even before the new law the protest was huge and had lasted weeks. Most of the people you see at the protests are still students or protest enthusiasts. But yeah ever since the new law came out the involvement of the general public is up, mainly through casseroles though.

So the funny thing about the pot banging is that it's a neighbourhood activity with lots of children and, well... normal old people taking part. Why I say that's funny is because nobody is really bothered by it.

The Primiere called it a threat; and if it weren't in reaction to his passing an anti-protest law I think he'd be fair to say that. But defying the new law is I think what the casserole is justified by instead of reminding the governing body that we run the streets or wtv. It's important that we can resist the act of legislating because we really can't resist military or police action, the most we can even hope for is the luck to escape unhurt.
    Bashing pots or bin lids used to be what locals would do here if their areas were being invaded by police or murder squads back at the beginning of the modern troubles in northern ireland. There are a few rebel songs about it or which mention it.

I know that I've read about it being a form of female community response to some sorts of domestic violence in isolated third world communities, kind of an alarm, alarm thing, although when I say third world communities I mean those which are already pretty westernised, not sub-saharan africa or pakistan were they kill their women for singing and dancing or clapping in the company of other men. Assholes. God will not be meriful to them.