User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: 3 guys 1 hammer

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Hmmm I think this is real shit. Most people are too afraid to face it. I think there is something to be said for emotional resilience even with horrible things.

To me, ignoring horror is a kind of negligence
    Most people are too afraid to face the horror of torturing kittens. Should we all go ahead and torture kittens? Watching this kind of video would, for me, be tantamount to some sort of complicity with the violence. If that's courage then no, thanks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Hmmm I think this is real shit. Most people are too afraid to face it. I think there is something to be said for emotional resilience even with horrible things.

I agree with you there.

I do not have to partake in the ongoing victimization of the murdered parties and the families they left behind in order to understand the evil that was perpetrated against them. I do not have to watch the actions of twisted individuals to understand that they exist and such actions can occur at any time or place. I do not feel obliged to contribute to the post/view count on websites that proudly circulate such desensitizing horror around the globe in the name of 'real news'. I do not have to test my mental and emotional mettle by sitting in my comfy chair and watching the horrific suffering of fellow human beings while I drink my beer and eat my snacks, patting myself on the back and telling myself 'you are so brave'. The strength of one's stomach at the sight of gratuitous, visceral gore is not a measure of might or courage, it is a measure of detachment from empathy and compassion toward fellow people.
    You can not measure your courage until you stand eye to eye with horror, the kind you are not protected from, and let your actions speak for you. Will you run, freeze in terror, or stand your ground and fight regardless of the odds because it is the right thing to do?

Emotional resilience even with horrible things? How do you think you will behave emotionally when someone chases you down with a hammer?

Ignoring horror is a kind of negligence? What is more negligent: Understanding horror and refusing to participate in its normalization, or testing your 'courage' comfortable in your imaginary cocoon of safety and separation from that horror, while you become a consumer of horror?

I know the measure of my courage, and as to what you insinuate in this thread my opinion is highlighted above in red.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    are you suggesting people should watch it, instead of looking away? if so, why?

@UniqueMixture
    No, it's not necessarily about that or about exposing yourself to horror needlessly.

To me it's more about developing a mindset of compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Most people are too afraid to face the horror of torturing kittens. Should we all go ahead and torture kittens? Watching this kind of video would, for me, be tantamount to some sort of complicity with the violence. If that's courage then no, thanks.
    How so?

That seems rather odd to me. Are you complicit by posting in this thread?

@earthtrekker: I think there is a big difference between being forcibly exposed and choosing to be exposed. I really think there is a way to mitigate the bad side.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    I agree with you there.

I do not have to partake in the ongoing victimization of the murdered parties and the families they left behind in order to understand the evil that was perpetrated against them. I do not have to watch the actions of twisted individuals to understand that they exist and such actions can occur at any time or place. I do not feel obliged to contribute to the post/view count on websites that proudly circulate such desensitizing horror around the globe in the name of 'real news'. I do not have to test my mental and emotional mettle by sitting in my comfy chair and watching the horrific suffering of fellow human beings while I drink my beer and eat my snacks, patting myself on the back and telling myself 'you are so brave'. The strength of one's stomach at the sight of gratuitous, visceral gore is not a measure of might or courage, it is a measure of detachment from empathy and compassion toward fellow people.
    You can not measure your courage until you stand eye to eye with horror, the kind you are not protected from, and let your actions speak for you. Will you run, freeze in terror, or stand your ground and fight regardless of the odds because it is the right thing to do?

Emotional resilience even with horrible things? How do you think you will behave emotionally when someone chases you down with a hammer?

Ignoring horror is a kind of negligence? What is more negligent: Understanding horror and refusing to participate in its normalization, or testing your 'courage' comfortable in your imaginary cocoon of safety and separation from that horror, while you become a consumer of horror?

I know the measure of my courage, and as to what you insinuate in this thread my opinion is highlighted above in red.
    my thoughts as well.

this sounds like the same spil that gang members try and sell to get the kiddies into gangs and getting them to turn "hardcore" , being this way gains you more respect. the, you want to learn something, come live with me on the streets. you will learn more from me than a book*winks eye* etcetera

stupidity at its finest.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    What does courage have to do with the ability to sit through such vile garbage as that?
    Exactly.

Fuck that noise.

MBTI
    ISTx

In general, man was not meant to be exposed to this sort of thing. You're not missing out. It's not negligence. It's preservation of mind and spirit.

No body can convince me that nurturing this fascination/curiosity can be beneficial.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

To quote Nietzsche:
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    I've watched the entire Saw series, but real torture is off limits to me.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    In general, man was not meant to be exposed to this sort of thing. You're not missing out. It's not negligence. It's preservation of mind and spirit.

No body can convince me that nurturing this fascination/curiosity can be beneficial.
    I was talking about death w AA on vent. I think that helped me clarify my thoughts. I guess, I wonder if you lived for 10,000 years like in the movie The Man From Earth you would have to emotionally integrate some really diverse experiences. Some really traumatic. I think there is a way of integration that leaves the person richer.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Fuck no, I couldn't watch this sick shit. The fact that this post exists at all makes me feel physically ill.

My brother was murdered in 2003, and it remains unsolved. Looking at his 2-weeks post mortem corpse was more than enough hardcore material than anyone would ever need to see. My brain can't even begin to compute the notion of a video circulating the web with footage of how his death unfolded. Thus I can't begin to truly imagine what the families/friends of these victims go through [assuming that's also included/exists along with kitten slaying footage]; this is probably too personal for me to make an unbiased statement on- but even so- anyone with the 'morbid curiosity' to sit through this has some serious fucking psychiatric problems, in my opinion.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

^ +1e10000
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.