User Tag List

View Poll Results: How would you feel about a DNA database for Newborns in USA?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • It would be a helpful thing.

0 0%
  • I can see how it would be good, in a perfect world, but this world isn't perfect.

4 40.00%
  • It would always be a bad idea

4 40.00%
  • I am not sure what I think

0 0%
  • I don't care

2 20.00%
  • Other

0 0%

heart on fire

Default DNA database for Newborns in USA?

President Bush last week signed into law a bill which will see the federal government begin to screen the DNA of all newborn babies in the U.S. within six months, a move some critics have described as the first step towards the establishment of a national DNA database.

1858: Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act of 2007
    Last Action: Apr 24, 2008: Became Public Law No: 110-204.

health care expert and prominent critic of DNA screening Twila Brase says this bill could:

Establish a national list of genetic conditions for which newborns and children are to be tested.

Establish protocols for the linking and sharing of genetic test results nationwide.

Build surveillance systems for tracking the health status and health outcomes of individuals diagnosed at birth with a genetic defect or trait.

Use the newborn screening program as an opportunity for government agencies to identify, list, and study "secondary conditions" of individuals and their families.

Subject citizens to genetic research without their knowledge or consent.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Screening children for genetic indications of shitty things like Parkinson's in hospitals and labs does not necessitate the establishment of a federally controlled database system. This same mentality of fear could be applied to blood withdrawn from bloodmobiles and clinics. Just because the Fed Gov't wants blood banks to screen you for crotch rot before they transfuse your blood into a patient with multiple organ failure doesn't mean there is a government spook somewhere holding a vial of your blood going "MUAHAHAHA I HAVE EET! ALL YOUR LEET BETA STD INFOZ ARE BELONG TO ME"
    Last edited by nozflubber; 05-09-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: needed more cowbell

heart on fire

I love the hyperbolic bombast you felt a need to interject here to supoort your points.

MBTI
    OMNi

Wow, I didn't even get a chance to launch any of my own psuedointellectual attacks and somebody else has already been accused of a hyperbole. Fallacies and equivocation are my department, dammit!

To be honest, the argument is that the bill could lead to a DNA database. I don't see any conclusive evidence that it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

heart on fire

Uh, I believe I used the word "could" myself in the post.

The poll is asking people how they would feel about such a DNA database when, if they make one.

But relax everyone, I am sure all those billions of dollars the insurance companies and employing corporations feed to the political parties would never, ever corrupt their values enough to even suggest such a data base. I sure am glad we live in a world where all the worries about such things are a thing of the past.

In fact, just because someone who is a crazy conspriacy theorist suggested the idea that a data base could be created, makes it totally implausible an idea...forever and ever... just like magic.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Uh, I believe I used the word "could" myself in the post.

The poll is asking people how they would feel about such a DNA database when, if they make one.
    Indeed. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear that this is speculation.

And I wanted to poke fun at myself since the bitch slap thread is now closed.

In fact, just because someone who is a crazy conspriacy theorist suggested the idea that a data base could be created, makes it totally implasable an idea...forever and ever... just like magic.
    How bout we say it's an educated guess. A hypothesis formed from conjecture and speculation. Not a testable or falsifiable one, but a possibility nonetheless.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Indeed. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear that this is speculation.
    I guess I sort of assume people on here can and do read, I am probably being naive there, huh?

MBTI
    OMNi

I guess I sort of assume people on here can and do read, I am probably being naive there, huh?
    The question, "DNA database for Newborns in USA?" could be a bit misleading considering that it is just speculation by "some critics."

But I was just clarifying it for little ol' dumb me.

heart on fire

It has a question mark at the end...geez there isn't really that much room the title section...but I see what you mean.