User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default What is more feminist: mini-skirt or pants?

First of all, I don't know much of feminism of it's history, but I was curious of what you people would say.

Thinking of a "feminist" way of dressing, a woman should wear pants, because she thinks showing too much skin would please men, and she doesn't want to take part in a machist world pleasing some random men on the street.

Or she could wear a mini-skirt, because she has the right to show the amount of skin she wants, without asking permission or whatever. Besides, she could get some attention or favours from men.

It does happen that some men spend lots of money with women who do an "easy" task as taking clothes off - one could interpret that men get stupid and powerless (and poor) in front a pretty woman who shows some skin. Or that woman could be humiliating herself just to get some money.

I'm saying "pants" and "mini-skirt" just as examples of clothes that show or not much skin, but other ways of dressing could fit here.

I've seen women fighting for both causes, for "pants" and for "mini-skirts", and both claiming to be feminist. What do you think?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i think the feminist choice would to let each individual woman decide what she'd rather wear.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
    First of all, I don't know much of feminism of it's history, but I was curious of what you people would say.

Thinking of a "feminist" way of dressing, a woman should wear pants, because she thinks showing too much skin would please men, and she doesn't want to take part in a machist world pleasing some random men on the street.

Or she could wear a mini-skirt, because she has the right to show the amount of skin she wants, without asking permission or whatever. Besides, she could get some attention or favours from men.

It does happen that some men spend lots of money with women who do an "easy" task as taking clothes off - one could interpret that men get stupid and powerless (and poor) in front a pretty woman who shows some skin. Or that woman could be humiliating herself just to get some money.

I'm saying "pants" and "mini-skirt" just as examples of clothes that show or not much skin, but other ways of dressing could fit here.

I've seen women fighting for both causes, for "pants" and for "mini-skirts", and both claiming to be feminist. What do you think?

I think your last sentence just about sums it up.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by earthtrekker1775 View Post
    I think your last sentence just about sums it up.
    Ok, but do you have any opinion about it? Do you agree with any of them, or just "let's just be free and whatever"?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
    Ok, but do you have any opinion about it? Do you agree with any of them, or just "let's just be free and whatever"?
    Women should wear whatever they like. I have several opinions on the feminist movement, but I won't share them here.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

From The Second Sex:

The ‘feminine’ woman in making herself prey tries to reduce man, also, to her carnal passivity; she occupies herself in catching him in her trap, in enchaining him by means of the desire she arouses in him in submissively making herself a thing. The emancipated woman, on the contrary, wants to be active, a taker, and refuses the passivity man means to impose on her. The ‘modern’ woman accepts masculine values: she prides herself on thinking, taking action, working, creating, on the same terms as men; instead of seeking to disparage them, she declares herself their equal.

In so far as she expresses herself in definite action, this claim is legitimate, and male insolence must then bear the blame. But in men’s defence it must be said that women are wont to confuse the issue. Many women, in order to show by their successes their equivalence to men, try to secure male support by sexual means; they play on both sides, demanding old-fashioned respect and modern esteem, banking on their old magic and their new rights. It is understandable that a man becomes irritated and puts himself on the defensive; but he is also double-dealing when he requires woman to play the game fairly while he denies her the indispensable trump cards through distrust and hostility. Indeed, the struggle cannot be clearly drawn between them, since woman is opaque in her very being; she stands before man not as a subject but as an object paradoxically endued with subjectivity; she takes herself simultaneously as self and as other, a contradiction that entails baffling consequences. When she makes weapons at once of her weakness and of her strength, it is not a matter of designing calculation: she seeks salvation spontaneously in the way that has been imposed on her, that of passivity, at the same time when she is actively demanding her sovereignty; and no doubt this procedure is unfair tactics, but it is dictated by the ambiguous situation assigned her. Man, however, becomes indignant when he treats her as a free and independent being and then realises that she is still a trap for him; if he gratifies and satisfies her in her posture as prey, he finds her claims to autonomy irritating; whatever he does, he feels tricked and she feels wronged.

The quarrel will go on as long as men and women fail to recognise each other as equals; that is to say, as long as femininity is perpetuated as such.
    I'm of the opinion that the bolded is still extant today (and, really, the whole passage is applicable), and for that reason I cannot necessarily get on board with all of the "sex-pos" or "liberal" feminist theorizing. Sure, quoting de Beauvoir is old and "second-wave" and all that, but frankly I don't give a shit.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

the difference between masculine and feminine energy is one that adornment merely hints at. that is a different topic, and you spoke of feminism, @Elfa.

"i am more powerful than most men." <- that is feminism enough. when you get to that point, the topic of feminism becomes laughable. then relative power becomes laughable. then:

"i am more self-aware than others." <- better

"i am self-possessed." <- best
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by agentfurrina View Post
    the difference between masculine and feminine energy is one that adornment merely hints at. that is a different topic, and you spoke of feminism, @Elfa.

"i am more powerful than most men." <- that is feminism enough. when you get to that point, the topic of feminism becomes laughable. then relative power becomes laughable. then:

"i am more self-aware than others." <- better

"i am self-possessed." <- best
    Hmmm. So if I believe it, then it must be true? Are you one of those prosperity theologians?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

A typical self called feminist will protest against prostitution. A prostitute will call herself a feminist because she does whatever she wants with her body.

The word has lost its meaning. It could basically mean anything. Ergo, I can't answer.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Hmmm. So if I believe it, then it must be true? Are you one of those prosperity theologians?
    heh not at all. i just see most human struggle through the lens of power imbalances.

and i have observed that, when most people eventually get or earn what they have been struggling for (whether it is education, or freedom, or the right to wear certain clothing) something more noble is born from that achievement, and the struggle itself changes. they have changed.

(this may help explain why great leaders, artists, philosophers write about the transformative nature of their struggles.)
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.