User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    This is why I'm so thankful to be a feminist and a woman because I am excused from paying bills. It's really quite amazing. It doesn't matter if it is rent, the mortgage, groceries, medical bills. I just bring in the bill to the office and they facepalm and gasp, "Can you ever forgive me for sending this out to you!", and then I give them a flirty little wink and say, how 'bout you buy me dinner and I'll think about it? I even got a free house and car this way, plus all my student loans paid off. And I get equal pay for equal work.
    You don't even need to show your Feminism certificate? I still haven't passed Dworkin 2030 so I don't have mine yet
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Feminism is the discovery of the power relation between women and men.

To reduce this power relation to pants or skirts is to trivialise it.

And trivialisation is the weapon of the sexist enemy.
    Ding ding ding!

Perhaps I gave too much credit to the OP, but I thought the pants/skirts/what to wear thing was supposed to stand for different theoretical approaches to feminism? Not literally what to wear?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Yes. It worked so well that not only you women have the same rights men have, but we men still have to pay the bills.

I'll have the white wine.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Yes. It worked so well that not only you women have the same rights men have, but we men still have to pay the bills.
    Rather than just joke about this, it is worth addressing because this is a completely subjective statement that reveals a personal bias against women which is not supported by statistical data. I can also look up what is current in Brazil, because the following refers to the U.S., but the latter is a country that prides itself on "equality" and yet...

1. This article is in many ways defending "dead-beat" dads, but it is worth noting that "62% of custodial mothers do not receive child support. However, of that number, three-fourths of them simply do not want child support, have not asked for it, have accepted other financial arrangements instead of child support, or the father does not have the money. " http://deltabravo.net/cms/plugins/co...hp?content.282

2. This article states that "Men perpetrate the majority of violent acts against women (DeLahunta 1997)." http://www.feminist.com/antiviolence/facts.html

3. This article states that "The workplace pay gap between men and women, once thought to be narrowing, has only been getting worse, according to an analysis of recently released census data conducted by the Institute for Women’s Policy Research. Women make only 75.5 cents for every dollar that men earn, according to a new release by the U.S. Census Bureau." http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/census...aygapgrows.htm

And if what you say refers to Brazil in particular, then preface your statement to indicate this.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How long untl someone busts out the custody/alimony stats from MRA sites? Anyone?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ding ding ding!

Perhaps I gave too much credit to the OP, but I thought the pants/skirts/what to wear thing was supposed to stand for different theoretical approaches to feminism? Not literally what to wear?
    I would like to think that 'pants or skirts' was a metaphor for theoretical approaches to feminism. But I have been here long enough to know that most are literal minded.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why are they fighting in the first place? there is no law and little if any social stigma discouraging from wearing either. they're stupid to fight over it
    Well, actually there are places where is at least a little of social stigma. The Slutwalk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk) is a protest along the world which protests against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance. But it isn't only about raping... Some people did state that those women who were raped or didn't want to be raped should stop dressing like sluts. As if dressing a certain way meant she was a slut or whatever (and therefore made raping "justified").

Still, in São Paulo, I know there were some cases that a self-proclaimed feminist group that painted over less-dressed women on advertisement posters.

So I guess there is some stigma, at least in some places.

I may not have made myself so clear, but in the OP I wasn't only referring to clothing, but to approaches to women and feminism...
    Last edited by Elfa; 06-09-2012 at 11:52 AM.

An interesting problem for feminism is that the power relation between women and men has two sides - and both sides are sexist.

It is easy to see that men who have the power are sexist, but it is very hard to see that women who are relatively powerless are also sexist.

Just as slaves develop a slave morality, so women develop the morality of the powerless.

And just as the slave owner and the slave are immoral, so women and men are also immoral and sexist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Ding ding ding!

I presume this was ironical, so... Yeah, you got the idea.

Edit: Whatever you discuss, I'm fine with it.
    Last edited by Elfa; 06-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Mini skirts WITH pants. Is there any conceivably bigger FU possible?
    That's an idea! And google images says someone already thought about it: