First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Victor, I parse your words. I get what you're saying. But you're proposing a distinction that has no practical difference. You are aware that solicitation is a crime already?

And stop using words like "father" and "brothers." It's creepy.
    But the distinction is important. The "Swedish model" has the benefit of protecting the women at the same time as discouraging the johns. Of course, there is the argument that women should be able to do with their bodies what they want (i.e., make it all legal), but that's another debate altogether. What Victor's saying is not absurd.

In fact, this is along the lines of where one would have thought this thread would have headed, given its relevance to the subject of the OP. But then, of course, it had to turn into the stupidity of "teaching" basic shit to those who were unprepared to enter the discussion but did so anyway (and some whom we can probably safely assume will never be prepared), betraying their lack of good judgment and respect for the subject.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    But the distinction is important. The "Swedish model" has the benefit of protecting the women at the same time as discouraging the johns. Of course, there is the argument that women should be able to do with their bodies what they want (i.e., make it all legal), but that's another debate altogether. What Victor's saying is not absurd.
    How is this distinction anything but in name only? We give women the "choice" to enter the sex trade and effectively render that choice moot when they can't turn a profit? The only difference is that we adopt a paternalistic attitude and "protect" women from jail. Either decriminalize the whole damned thing or not.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How is this distinction anything but in name only? We give women the "choice" to enter the sex trade and effectively render that choice moot when they can't turn a profit? The only difference is that we adopt a paternalistic attitude and "protect" women from jail. Either decriminalize the whole damned thing or not.
    I'm not arguing that it's better than full decriminalization, but I'm fairly certain that it's better than full criminalization. I suppose they're operating under the assumption that it's not usually a choice for the women who find themselves in that line of work (and that it's not a line of work to be desired), so (1) it should be stopped eventually but (2) that's only going to happen if demand is reduced by punishing the johns, and (3) it'd be better if, in the interim, the women were offered more in the way of protection/services/etc., without fear of punishment.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

OP is a troll or there is no God.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    However, this doesn't give men the right to dismiss complaints by women on women's issues, which seems to be a major problem in this thread.
    Women's issues does not only affect women. Men and the people they care about also stand to gain or lose if prevailing gender attitudes are changed.

What do you mean by "dismiss"? Are you saying men are not entitled to disagree with, or ask for clarification on anything women says about the subject?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    OP is a troll or there is no God.
    There is a God but I dont know about the OP.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think that provided they are super hot females that the most feminist atire possible is little bikinis.

Or fig leafs. I've seen that in pictures from the bible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Women's issues does not only affect women. Men and the people they care about also stand to gain or lose if prevailing gender attitudes are changed.
    Yes. As long as the so-called "women's issues" are labelled that way, they will remain issues for everyone. They are really parents' issues, family issues, workplace issues, effectiveness/efficiency issues, and human issues.

You know what? I believe the whole system of conscription is troubling. But if we have it, women should also be conscripted. Women who want all of the privileges of equality with none of the negatives do a tremendous disservice to feminism.
    I agree 100%. Gender-biased conscription absolves women from their share of the responsibility, deprives them of the related experience, and deprives the nation of their services. A lose-lose situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think the problem goes both ways though. for instance, I think that the social structure (not necessarily the legal system) of the United States is becoming increasingly matriarchal and that this is a problem as well (most school teachers are female, the number of children being raised by single mothers). matriarchal structures, in my opinion, tend to undermine traits like competition, ambition and high productivity, that are also necessary for a prosperous, free society. things tend to go to shit when there is an imbalance of influence of one gender over the other in any institution.
    Women have long been the front-line conveyors of policies made by men. Consider bank tellers, flight attendants, clerks in government offices, even nurses. They are supposed to present a friendly, non-threatening face to the public, while serving as a buffer between that public and the people really in charge. (How often have we all heard from such people, with great politeness: "I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, that's just the way it is.") This state of affairs is hardly a matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So it is not so much that women oppress men, rather it is that women sleep with the enemy.
    Men are lucky that women rarely let this perspective inspire their actions.

There is a certain illogic to the idea of feminism somehow. Many groups have been oppressed over the millenia other than women: blacks, Jews, gays, the disabled, etc. We haven't had black-ism, Jewish-ism, gay-ism, or disabled-ism, though. (Or have we - just by other names??) We have been content to oppose the bigotry of these groups instead. Why can't we do this where women are concerned, or even lump it all together to eliminate all artificial limitations on what people can be and do?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There is a God but I dont know about the OP.
    OMG! We actually agreed on a point. We're making progress you and I.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    OMG! We actually agreed on a point. We're making progress you and I.
    Nice, and now I'm the troll. ¬¬

I really didn't mean it to turn this way and regret have made this thread. I thought people would discuss it more nicely, and I see I was wrong. Don't worry, it was a mistake, I learned my lesson and won't do it again.