User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I think values might just be a poorly chosen word. The people society values the most are loved ones and innocents.

But moneyed people have the most power to control the members of our society directly and illicitly, so there's plenty of examples of "society" doing things that serve those people's interests the most. For example you might do your boss a ridiculous favour in hopes of getting some of his money through a raise or wtv, or start a war.
    wails from the crypt.

I think peoples incomes or status is just a reflection of class struggles and the relative might of their income bracket or status group.

Its not about value and its not about the value society would place on things, I mean if it were garbage men would be driving gold plated limos.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What do we mean by value? Doctors, lawyers, journalists, and actors are rather loathed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What do we mean by value? Doctors, lawyers, journalists, and actors are rather loathed.
    Ask a woman who's just had her son's life saved by a Cardiovascular and Thoracic surgeon how she feels about Doctors.

They earn their pay. Anyone else here who has Doctors in the family knows that they are never off call, and frequently have to run to the office/hospital at 0 dark thirty in the morning because of an emergency.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Ask a woman who's just had her son's life saved by a Cardiovascular and Thoracic surgeon how she feels about Doctors.

They earn their pay. Anyone else here who has Doctors in the family knows that they are never off call, and frequently have to run to the office/hospital at 0 dark thirty in the morning because of an emergency.
    If only this applied to all doctors. I have nothing nice to say about my daughter's first pediatrician. And, I'm not alone. Several people I know that have gone to her agree with me, and have switched pediatricians because she never listened and was impossible to schedule appointments with. On the flip side of that, I will sing the new pediatrician's praises all day long to anyone who listens.

Unfortunately, every profession has people that are truly amazing and people that are absolutely terrible at their jobs. I've had doctors in the family that took plenty of time off and were never called in for an emergency, oddly enough it's usually been the RNs I knew that were almost always on call. I think it really depends on the area you live in and how many doctors are in specific fields. For instance, when I went into labor, it wasn't my OB that delivered my daughter, it was the doctor that was on duty at the hospital that night. Geez, in my city you can throw a rock and hit an OBGYN... I swear.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Most artists (visual, musical, et alia) never made much money. So what is their value?
    Mozart was buried in a paupers' grave. Dozens of symphonies, concerti, chamber works...
    Do we really want to believe that all of that is worth less than a stock broker who makes millions of dollars?
    This is just one example...
    The premise is ludicrous.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Keep in mind that what someone makes is a pretty good proxy for how much society values that person.
    Good question. We can all sense the truth of it. However, we must make the distinction that what society values is only one part of the equation. We must also account for how difficult the profession is and how many practitioners there are.

If society values education and there were roughly 7.2 million teachers in the US in 2009 vs. 304 million total population (2008), then we can come up with a percentage of 2.4% of Americans being teachers and assign a value to this in the marketplace.

If society also values healthcare and there were roughly 661,400 physicians in the US in 2008 vs. 304 million people (2008), then we can come up with a percentage of 0.22% of Americans being physicians and assign a value to this in the marketplace.

There are 11 times more teachers than doctors. But, I would be surprised if physicians made 11 times more than teachers.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't agree with the statement. You'l be able to find some truth in it, but it's not as easy as that.

Supply and demand, political support, money collectors. They are all subject to oppertunity and organisational skills.

There will be cases that one with minimum wager can be valued a lot by society, whereas one with a lot of wages migth not be valued at all.

Examples, teachers are valued more than most top banking positions, ofcourse some will be important and needed, half if not more than half probably would not be.. Anyway, what someone makes is not a good proxy for how much society values that person. Saying it does because in some, or even most, cases it rings true, is pure short-sightedness.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Good question. We can all sense the truth of it. However, we must make the distinction that what society values is only one part of the equation. We must also account for how difficult the profession is and how many practitioners there are.

If society values education and there were roughly 7.2 million teachers in the US in 2009 vs. 304 million total population (2008), then we can come up with a percentage of 2.4% of Americans being teachers and assign a value to this in the marketplace.

If society also values healthcare and there were roughly 661,400 physicians in the US in 2008 vs. 304 million people (2008), then we can come up with a percentage of 0.22% of Americans being physicians and assign a value to this in the marketplace.

There are 11 times more teachers than doctors. But, I would be surprised if physicians made 11 times more than teachers.
    But do we need ANY stockbrokers? Shouldn't this job be done by computers?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But do we need ANY stockbrokers? Shouldn't this job be done by computers?
    With those kind of finance-related jobs, I believe it's more of a political matter than anything related either to market or ethics. They have managed to obtain political protection, and thus can reap "excessive" rents.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp