User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Perhaps, although industries have been tapping to the minute innovative psychological researh on habit forming behaviour from the first emergence of marketing and ad men, books like The Hidden Persuaders appear naive in the warnings they made and predictions they made but we're away beyond that now.

Mind you would have seen a time when people debated the amount of them they spent watching TV, we're away beyond that too.
    They have and they're good at it. But not everyone that gets turned onto things turns out psycho. I played my share of WoW and EQ and whatnot and I don't run around killing folks.

I will say that I think men are more susceptible to this particular form of escapism than women however. How relevant that can be to this guy's situation? I dunno.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    WoW is a symptom, not a cause.
    I think it might be more accurate to say WoW is his symptom. There are a lot of people out there, even people with mental health issues, that use escapism and never become violent.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

They have and they're good at it. But not everyone that gets turned onto things turns out psycho. I played my share of WoW and EQ and whatnot and I don't run around killing folks.

I will say that I think men are more susceptible to this particular form of escapism than women however. How relevant that can be to this guy's situation? I dunno.
    I dont think its likely they'll become psycho or act out, most people hooked on WoW are the opposite of the kind of people who act out, the game is more real than reality.

I think that Brevik was a fantasist and his ideology is a pretty coherent and consistent extention of that but at the same time I dont think that makes him mad, there's a lot of people like that, commerce and advertising encourage it, politics encourages it, celeb culture encourages it and its become normative.

I dont think its likely they'll become psycho or act out, most people hooked on WoW are the opposite of the kind of people who act out, the game is more real than reality.

I think that Brevik was a fantasist and his ideology is a pretty coherent and consistent extention of that but at the same time I dont think that makes him mad, there's a lot of people like that, commerce and advertising encourage it, politics encourages it, celeb culture encourages it and its become normative.
    But you don't think any of it's innate with him? A loose screw?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

But you don't think any of it's innate with him? A loose screw?
    I dont actually, I know that the courts appointed psychologists have already concluded that he is perfectly sane.

I think that sometimes insanity is used to put distance between the average person and perpetrators of this kind, its a sort of "othering" process but could you say that every individual involved in Nazism, Fascism and Communism was therefore mad too? Brevik's peace time massacre is awful but compare it to the shit going on in Syria right now or Rwanda or Bosnia previously, all animated by broadly similar creedos to Brevik's and other things happening in war time and the body count and targets are not incredible.

The guy adopted a monsterous creed, the monsterous deeds were just a logical and natural consequence or eventuality after that, perhaps they'll find stuff out about his life which were contributing factors but I dont know.

Breaking news: Adolf Hitler ate an apple every day. McDonald's and Burger King nutritionists are quoted as saying that the people better stick to their hamburgers if they want to keep their children out of prison and history.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

I think that sometimes insanity is used to put distance between the average person and perpetrators of this kind, its a sort of "othering" process but could you say that every individual involved in Nazism, Fascism and Communism was therefore mad too? Brevik's peace time massacre is awful but compare it to the shit going on in Syria right now or Rwanda or Bosnia previously, all animated by broadly similar creedos to Brevik's and other things happening in war time and the body count and targets are not incredible.
    Agreed. Sometimes people do monstrous things while being completely sane. Claiming that everyone to ever do anything 'evil' or against the mores of the time must be mentally ill is stigmatizing to those that actually are, and are not dangerous.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    Agreed. Sometimes people do monstrous things while being completely sane. Claiming that everyone to ever do anything 'evil' or against the mores of the time must be mentally ill is stigmatizing to those that actually are, and are not dangerous.
    That's a nice point too, well made.