123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default New York soda ban

Mayor Bloomberg is proposing to make it illegal to sell large size soft drinks in order to reduce obesity.

Seems like a ridiculous example of the government overcontrolling the activities of the people. If people want to gorge themselves on huge soft drinks and get obese, they have the right to do so. Besides banning soft drinks alone isn't going to stop obesity. There are lots of other foods/beverages that lead to obesity. I would be in favor of placing a high tax on such products but not banning them.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Mayor Bloomberg is proposing to make it illegal to sell large size soft drinks in order to reduce obesity.

Seems like a ridiculous example of the government overcontrolling the activities of the people. If people want to gorge themselves on huge soft drinks and get obese, they have the right to do so. Besides banning soft drinks alone isn't going to stop obesity. There are lots of other foods/beverages that lead to obesity. I would be in favor of placing a high tax on such products but not banning them.
    ........you've got to be kidding me
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Ridiculous. I could see them doing that and then fast food chains increasing the size or the small and medium cups so they were bigger (and charging more!).... It's already happened once. I remember warning my husband that he's going to regret increasing his drink to a large one day... The damn thing wouldn't even fit in our cup holder! Ever since then he's been content with a small or medium...considering they're the size of what a medium and large used to be! Besides... That might be fine for those using the drive-thru or just getting a large drink at a gas station....but what about those dining in... All they'll do is get refills if the large sodas are no longer available!

While I do wish people would eat healthier... I really don't think it's the governments place to try and force it upon people. Leave that to their doctor's to explain the health risks and let the person decide if they care or not.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

That's ridiculous.

I'm not in favor of the govt. parenting us. We're all grown up n shit.

But if they're going to... Then just tell all the manufactures of junk food to find a new product and change their company or they'll be shut down along with all the fast food places. They can start serving healthy foods or go out of business.

Because really it's mostly about lazy people and convenience. Make healthy more convienant and more people will choose it.

Posting in my phone and it's frustrating me so never mind.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Sorry Bloomberg. I'm not on board with this at all.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Just more support for my idea that most people in politics/government are idiots with some sort of god-complex...

MBTI
    GONE

Bloomberg is getting a lot of flak for that. But you know what? NYC got rid of peep shows in Times Square and hot dog vendors on corners and mandated nutritional info on menus - which is AWESOME if you are in NYC and you care about health it makes it SO much easier to eat out. I think given its track record if NYC wants to do away with large sodas it will.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think it's a great idea.

Portion and drink sizes are inflated in the USA. They're not limiting how many units of the drink you can buy.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think this is worth exploring.
    The gov't already requires seatbelts.
    It stipulates building and electrical codes, etc.
    It tells you that you cannot drive on sidewalks!
    Obesity is a drag on the health care system, which means that it costs all of us.

CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND PASSIVE PARENTING

I thought this article made a good point about the real problem here, which is the public failing to parent adequately, so the state is being expected to do it instead.

Bloomberg ain't my Daddy.

To add, this is a post-mortem, reactionary solution to a deeper, complex problem. The root must be addressed. Don't you people know if your boat's taking on water, you fix the hole, you don't keeping pailing out the water?
    Last edited by iwakar; 06-06-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke