Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
Who ever died only because of their obesity? Not obesity related illnesses just obesity.

A reduction in soda consumption would benefit just about everyone and should be sold as such, no need to frame it with more scaremongering about the obese.

I'll try another one of my analogies that you love so much;

Let's assume drinking soda causes type 2 diabetes.

Drinking soda, can cause you to gain weight but that is a trivial side effect compared to the actual illness it causes; Diabetes. Soda drinkers of all sizes can get diabetes so we should all avoid soda, it's counter productive and stigmatising to only focus on the obese soda drinkers. Just because diabetes is related to higher weights doesn't mean we should ignore or excuse the soda drinkers at lower weights.

Smoking cigarettes, can cause you to lose weight but that is a trivial side effect compared to the actual illness it causes; Lung cancer. Smokers of all sizes can get lung cancer so we should all avoid smoking, it's counter productive and stigmatising to only focus on the thin smokers. Just because lung cancer is related to lower weights doesn't mean we should ignore or excuse the smokers at higher weights.

Saying "It's ok that I drink a lot of soda because I'm not fat" is exactly as nonsensical as saying "It's ok that I smoke cigarettes because I'm not thin.
Good points. I guess it is tied to obesity in the States because it is such a problem. I think it would be good to frame it like that in Japan where obesity is not so much a problem but diabetes is.