User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Frankly I don't care. It's innocuous legislation which, while fairly superficial in terms of solving public health issues on a large, sweeping scale, can only really help.
    Pretty much this.

Yes, it's not going to make much of a difference on its own. Yes, there's a hell of a lot of other contributors to the trend of increasing rates of overweight and obesity. But people's choices and perceptions of what normal eating is are influenced by their environment, and that includes portion sizes. As @Red Herring mentioned, larger portions do lead to people consuming more mindlessly. Most people know that soda isn't good for you. But when it's everywhere and being served in absurdly large portions (some of which are called "medium" or "regular"), that makes excessive consumption seem normal. And it becomes easy to shrug and rationalize having too much.

Limiting the sizes available isn't interfering with anyone's rights either - anyone can still decide to have another.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    NYC got rid of peep shows in Times Square and hot dog vendors on corners and mandated nutritional info on menus - which is AWESOME if you are in NYC and you care about health it makes it SO much easier to eat out. I think given its track record if NYC wants to do away with large sodas it will.
    Not wild about the ban against hot dog vendors, but I'd love for the bolded to be the case everywhere. In addition to making it easy for people who are trying to watch what they're eating, the availability of this information should also reduce the mindlessness. A lot of people have no idea what they're taking in when they eat out, and are horrified when they finally come across some nutritional info. I remember the Calorie King website used to have this drag and drop game, where you'd take items from a well-known restaurant and put them on a tray to make a meal. I was pretty shocked at the final calorie content of a few of these "meals" that didn't even seem like that much food.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    Not wild about the ban against hot dog vendors, but I'd love for the bolded to be the case everywhere. In addition to making it easy for people who are trying to watch what they're eating, the availability of this information should also reduce the mindlessness. A lot of people have no idea what they're taking in when they eat out, and are horrified when they finally come across some nutritional info. I remember the Calorie King website used to have this drag and drop game, where you'd take items from a well-known restaurant and put them on a tray to make a meal. I was pretty shocked at the final calorie content of a few of these "meals" that didn't even seem like that much food.
    After just arricing in grand central station in NYC I decided I needed a snack. I saw a lot if people pass by an Auntie Ems pretzel shop and thought it was odd in a busy place but I was lucky for no line. So I ordered their basic snack combo ("lemonade" and pretzel) and as I handed over my money I realized in horror the listed nutritional value (in white lettering tricky bastards) and my snack was over 1000 calories, wtf. I think I only took a few sips of the soda then tossed it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    After just arricing in grand central station in NYC I decided I needed a snack. I saw a lot if people pass by an Auntie Ems pretzel shop and thought it was odd in a busy place but I was lucky for no line. So I ordered their basic snack combo ("lemonade" and pretzel) and as I handed over my money I realized in horror the listed nutritional value (in white lettering tricky bastards) and my snack was over 1000 calories, wtf. I think I only took a few sips of the soda then tossed it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

This debate was very interesting to read. Probably as much as the reactions you read in other social circles. For instance when you open youtube, you have ten negative reactions in a row towards this ban, some calling mr Bloomberg a "fascist" or a "communist", others saying it's ridiculous, and ONE only that is saying it could have positive outcomes.

But the proposal of mr Bloomberg was fairly innocuous per se: he was just stating the obvious. Without campaigns focused on nutritional education, it will be impossible to really fight the obesity epidemic. And the prevalence of obesity is skyrocketing each year just as we speak.

But it's very interesting nonetheless to see how people are detrimentally and consciously manipulated by the agribusiness companies.

We're not so far from "Idiocracy", with Brawndo "full of electrolytes"...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Without campaigns focused on nutritional education, it will be impossible to really fight the obesity epidemic.
    This isn't education, its government coercion.

garbage

Geez. With this and virtually any related issue, educating folks on the subject (if the resources are there) and then letting them make their own decisions is, bar none, the fairest and most long-term-productive solution.

Looks like this has pretty much been said in this thread, though, so interpret it as corroboration

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think they should just remove most of the economic incentives in this sort of thing, usually the small beverage is only two or three pence/cents less than the very, very biggest one, people are more programmed to pursue a bargain than they are actually pursuing their thirst or even appetite.

I was at the cinema recently and know this for a fact, my brother bought a massive popcorn box and left about half or more of it there in the cinema, it was because he pointed out and reasoned that it was only a couple of pence of difference and if he left some he would be doing better than if he'd bought the smaller and ate it all and wanted more.

So its consumerism and economics rather than people being ignorant about health consequences or mugs for temptation.

Maximal rather than optimal consumption again (going to write that Cracked article one of these days).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Geez. With this and virtually any related issue, educating folks on the subject (if the resources are there) and then letting them make their own decisions is, bar none, the fairest and most long-term-productive solution.
    Why not legalize crack, amphetamines and heroine then? And make adds and commercials to sell them? Selling hard drugs is a very profitable business, like any other.
    We'll let "make them their own decision" and see if it's really "the fairest and most long-term-productive solution".

Obesity in the US is more deadly than crack, amphetamine, cocaine and heroine all together... so who cares?

------

When I read this thread and the sheer amount of stupidity that is inside, yes, sometimes I really fear we're not so far from the situation described in Idiocracy.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This isn't education, its government coercion.
    Education is also a form of coercion. Do you agree we should close all universities and send their lecturers in prison?

Excess of sugar is more deadly than tobacco, but who cares?

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    yupp

i can't drink a large soda it takes more than one setting to drink a 20 oz and large sodas i usually end up pouring most out, so this wouldn't effect me. plus didn't this law get repealed?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so