User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

I think this is retarded and it doesn't surprise me one bit that Michelle Obama endorses this legislation.

I drink hardly any sugary drinks, and I realize it can cater to an obesity problem. But this sort of thing lies in the realm of personal responsibility. I don't want the government sticking their fingers in this stuff.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Frankly I don't care. It's innocuous legislation which, while fairly superficial in terms of solving public health issues on a large, sweeping scale, can only really help.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I think the idea is not to keep people from drinking as much soda as they want but stopping them from drinking more of it than they would want to if the sizes on offer weren't so huge. Europeans are usually impressed by the supersizes available in American supermarkets. It's an age old diet trick to use a smaller dish because psychologically your food will look like more, supermarkets have big shopping carts because that way your shopping looks like it is little and you could use some more. Big portions tempt people to eat or drink more than they usually would. Sure, nobody is forcing them but it tempts them and manipulates them into doing something stupid that is harmful to them, their families and those supporting their health care.

This is not about stopping you to drink all the soda you want it is about getting you to think for a moment before you mindlessly consume more than you normally would and more than you would have wanted to a few years ago before portions became so large.
    well a big problem is when the government decided high fructose corn syrup was the fifth food group...corn companies are almost as insidious as oil companies, maybe worse

why do people even deem it normal to drink artificially coloured HFCS water all day every day any the fuck way? That's why it needs to be taken out of schools.

Junk food has its place in society but it shouldn't be sold in high schools, thereby suggesting this is the normal thing to eat. My grandparents wouldnt give me money for school cokes and Id been taught that eating real food was necessary anyway.

This is about marketing, advertising, and our government actually enabling corn growers and junk food companies to push their propaganda on people

let people have their large cokes but teach them not to drink them all day long every day ...yeah right...a corporation or fourteen might lose their monstrous dominance over the food market if we did that

my ENTJ friend told me there were no marshmallows in Russia. I believe he made it to the age of 24 without ever eating HFCS. This is about so much more than portion size, though I agree super sizing is a marketing problem that has evolved in the past thirty years in a big clusterfuck of bullshit.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    well a big problem is when the government decided high fructose corn syrup was the fifth food group...corn companies are almost as insidious as oil companies, maybe worse

why do people even deem it normal to drink artificially coloured HFCS water all day every day any the fuck way? That's why it needs to be taken out of schools.

Junk food has its place in society but it shouldn't be sold in high schools, thereby suggesting this is the normal thing to eat. My grandparents wouldnt give me money for school cokes and Id been taught that eating real food was necessary anyway.

This is about marketing, advertising, and our government actually enabling corn growers and junk food companies to push their propaganda on people

let people have their large cokes but teach them not to drink them all day long every day ...yeah right...a corporation or fourteen might lose their monstrous dominance over the food market if we did that

my ENTJ friend told me there were no marshmallows in Russia. I believe he made it to the age of 24 without ever eating HFCS. This is about so much more than portion size, though I agree super sizing is a marketing problem that has evolved in the past thirty years in a big clusterfuck of bullshit.
    Sure, these are all additional problems and require a lot of education. Have you seen the tv show where Jamie Oliver tried to teach healthy eating to obese school children in America's most overweight town (in WV, IRRC) and was basically booed off the stage by the townfolks? To be sure, Europeans have their own fair share of eating problems* but many here find it jawdropping what kind of food you have on offer and what people consider normal or healthy food.

*Everybody is raving about the Mediterranean diet but I had roommates in Spain who basically lives off fried meat day after day - they were from the interior rather than from the coast though, but even traditional Spanish food can be very greasy and heavy on the meat.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You know I mean people don't even ask these questions like...why are soda machines in government funded places like public schools and the waiting room of the social security office?

Doesn't this make anyone suspicious? Seriously?

You'd think welfare and schools would promote milk, water, juice, nuts, raisins, that kind of thing...but they agree to advertise junk food?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Red Herring yes I know the fattest people in the country live in a town in WV...in some parts of WV there's just post industrialist rot and rust (especially up North toward the rust belt) and there are depressed mining towns.

The reason I HATE corporatism so fuckin much is because places like Wal Mart and Mcdonalds ESPECIALLY DOMINATE in these economically depressed, isolated areas.

There's actually more small business in bigger cities. Corporatism has destroyed middle America and I hate the government, well I hate neo conservatives, for enabling corporatism.

I was fortunate to be born in the Southern part of the state near the capital. My grandfather left the backwoods at 16 and traveled the world before settling back down in WV, in a more affluent area, but an area that still had rural parts so we could be near the country side. My mother actually remembers part of this process, living in Hawaii and NC for parts of her childhood then being shocked to return to the back woods for a couple of years before my grandfather brought the family into a better area while she was in high school.

But yeah, I know all that.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

That sucks....

Ohwell, it's shame sodas are so bad for you and people live off them because they don't like water.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Mayor Bloomberg is proposing to make it illegal to sell large size soft drinks in order to reduce obesity.

Seems like a ridiculous example of the government overcontrolling the activities of the people. If people want to gorge themselves on huge soft drinks and get obese, they have the right to do so. Besides banning soft drinks alone isn't going to stop obesity. There are lots of other foods/beverages that lead to obesity. I would be in favor of placing a high tax on such products but not banning them.
    to me it seems like government trying to control stupid people who doesent realize that drinking too much of sugary drinks is harmful. ofc its not right that regular people cant have super mega large fifty five gallon soft drinks anymore, but dont blame the government who tries to take care of people, blame the fat people who cant control their behavior or are too stupid to do so, and the immoral corporations that started to make cheap crap food to get few bucks, even tho its harmful to people.

those cup sizes in usa mcdonalds are way oversized anyways, in most countries, the large cup is the size of what the mayer wants to have maximum in NY, in usa, thats the size of the small one, large being double that.. who the fuck(not counting the obese mcdonals junkies) even drinks some 32 ounce cup of soda in one meal?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

to me - it's like they're tired of not trusting you to drink healthy, so they're taking away sodas.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You know I mean people don't even ask these questions like...why are soda machines in government funded places like public schools and the waiting room of the social security office?

Doesn't this make anyone suspicious? Seriously?

You'd think welfare and schools would promote milk, water, juice, nuts, raisins, that kind of thing...but they agree to advertise junk food?
    Sodexo owns the public school lunch racket.

http://www.sodexousa.com/

I'd you want good food in schools you need to grow it yourself (this is a class in some public schools) or hire an alternative caterer. I think Michael Moore made a movie on it? I don't like that guy necessarily but he did highlight how easy it is to eat good food.

School lunches from around the world:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/what-...countries-arou

It's almost amazing how almost purposely shitty and totally prepackaged and fried and just untasty and unhealthy us school lunches are. Big gobs of mystery slop. When I avoided this in middle school by ALWAYS getting the bagged lunch with a sandwich that is hard to mess up. But my god, I'm not a picky eater and just the smell and look of the hot lunches made me go *

Did you see what's on the French kids lunch?? A fraking steamed artichoke!! And mother 'effin steamed mussels?!? Kids can only aspire for what their parents eat, so if the American diet overall is crappy then of course kids are gonna get the brunt of it.

*Its certainly cultural too, since I ate almost 100% ethnic Asian at home a lot of poorly made American cuisin looks even less appealing to me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari