User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think the idea is not to keep people from drinking as much soda as they want but stopping them from drinking more of it than they would want to if the sizes on offer weren't so huge. Europeans are usually impressed by the supersizes available in American supermarkets. It's an age old diet trick to use a smaller dish because psychologically your food will look like more, supermarkets have big shopping carts because that way your shopping looks like it is little and you could use some more. Big portions tempt people to eat or drink more than they usually would. Sure, nobody is forcing them but it tempts them and manipulates them into doing something stupid that is harmful to them, their families and those supporting their health care.

This is not about stopping you to drink all the soda you want it is about getting you to think for a moment before you mindlessly consume more than you normally would and more than you would have wanted to a few years ago before portions became so large.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I just think it's silly to pass laws that are so easy to circumvent. On the plus side, it'll be more profit for the businesses when people start buying more than one soda!
    Yup.

You know what I would support though? Codifying the labelling of serving sizes for beverages (small, medium, large, xlarge). The size inflation effect has already happened. I was just thinking at lunch today that when I bought my medium soda (because I didn't want a lot) how HUGE it was. I mean this is a medium and they sell up to X-large and this thing is monstrous. I don't think it's right because I believe that it's misleading and distorting what we think of as a normal portion size. I know better, but for my nieces and nephews, this is the new normal.

I just take issue with local government telling you that you can't have that extra-large if you want it because "you don't know any better." I prefer informing to directing, generally.

Jon Stewart Criticizes Soda Ban lol
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I think the idea is not to keep people from drinking as much soda as they want but stopping them from drinking more of it than they would want to if the sizes on offer weren't so huge. Europeans are usually impressed by the supersizes available in American supermarkets. It's an age old diet trick to use a smaller dish because psychologically your food will look like more, supermarkets have big shopping carts because that way your shopping looks like it is little and you could use some more. Big portions tempt people to eat or drink more than they usually would. Sure, nobody is forcing them but it tempts them and manipulates them into doing something stupid that is harmful to them, their families and those supporting their health care.

This is not about stopping you to drink all the soda you want it is about getting you to think for a moment before you mindlessly consume more than you normally would and more than you would have wanted to a few years ago before portions became so large.
    youre totally right you've just changed my mind.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

God, why don't they just make obesity illegal instead?

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm generally not in favor of government controlling people's eating habits, but if we expect the government to provide free healthcare, it seem rational that the government would encourage a healthy lifestyle.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm generally not in favor of government controlling people's eating habits, but if we expect the government to provide tax revenue funded healthcare, it seem rational that the government would encourage a healthy lifestyle.
    Fixed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I'm generally not in favor of government controlling people's eating habits, but if we expect the government to provide free healthcare, it seem rational that the government would encourage a healthy lifestyle.
    We all pay for health care, one way or another. We can pay for the indigent through higher insurance premiums for those who pay them, or through general taxes, but we still all pay. We have a collective (gasp!) interest in encouraging everyone to be healthy, especially children. Since this is encouragement and not enforcement, not everyone will get on board, and some people will persist in unhealthy lifestyles. It will be far better than doing nothing, though, since many people - the majority, perhaps - just go with the flow. If we provide a better "flow", it will influence many.

I agree that the government should not be making people's health decisions for them. People cannot be expected to make rational choices for themselves, however, if they do not have accurate information about the options. Moreover, they can exercise only those options that are actually available to them, and will tend to bypass options that are difficult or costly. If healthy food choices are either very limited or very expensive in the neighborhood grocery store, for instance, people with financial or transportation constraints are less likely to choose healthy foods. This is where government intervention can help: not in making people's choices for them, but ensuring the choices are available.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I have a family member who works for him. Even he doesn't agree with this one.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTP

Hey, I know! Let's limit the size of TV screens and computer monitors to encourage people to exercise rather than sit on their fat ass for several hours a day! Let's mandate that car seats not have cushions to encourage bicycling and walking!

Or we could, you know, generally not try to force people to live the way we think they should live....especially if we expect the same from others.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think it was part of Giuliani's plan to 'class up' NYC. I think the compromise was instead of getting rid of the iconic food vendors altogether, they limited the number of licenses and areas the peeps could sell.

I guess Bloomberg would say the compromise of getting rid of soda entirely in NYC is to just limit it to smaller sizes. I'm surprised no one is saying this is an attack on poor people, because if you want a lot of soda now you'll have to spend more money for two smaller sizes and also contribute more waste.
    no, limiting hot dog vending sales and peep shows is an attack on poor people, not as consumers but as workers

class up new York? Maybe they should start with their homeless problem

anyway the soda thing is no big deal because there is such a thing as free refills if you dine in, but does this mean that even mcdonalds is limited? No dollar sweet tea? Yeah i can see how cutting an item of a dollar menu could hurt poor people as consumers, because for all we know they're actually drinking unsweet tea or diet (which is what I drink) which is another reason the ban lacks common sense...essentially you're restricting people who drink calorie free or low calorie or unsweetened beverages as well, stupid stupid

as I say if they want to make a difference with soda they should pull all soda (and snack) machines out of public school and start selling more Mexican Coca Cola, which has sugar instead of corn syrup, and yes, Princeton did a study and HFCS really made rats gain weight four times the amount in the same time period as rats drinking sugar water

so help me god morons are running this country, they don't even address the real core underlying issues...if you want room restrict things at least do it where it makes practical sense and isn't some underthought platitude of a symbolic gesture instead