User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Mayor Bloomberg is proposing to make it illegal to sell large size soft drinks in order to reduce obesity.

Seems like a ridiculous example of the government overcontrolling the activities of the people. If people want to gorge themselves on huge soft drinks and get obese, they have the right to do so. Besides banning soft drinks alone isn't going to stop obesity. There are lots of other foods/beverages that lead to obesity. I would be in favor of placing a high tax on such products but not banning them.
    Rights, rights, rights. All I hear is this.

What about natural consequences? What about when these consequences impact on other people besides the person experiencing them?

Taxes or bans I dont care really, they're both easy to circumvent and not the best way to teach people about natural consequences, not when they dont learn from first hand experience already, I can understand the frustration though, I've seen what passes for supersized drinks and meals in the US, they are ridiculous, like a litre of cola in a single serving. A litre of cola is enough for me for the best part of a week.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@nebbykoo actually I partially take that back... I agree mostly with smoking bans I love the state of California, but frankly smoking should be optional for businesses with bars, like in Vegas. In Vegas I danced in non smoking clubs, and its better than dancing in a smoky dive bar, and sure I can see why a gentleman's club might have both smoking and non smoking areas though, and the same with smaller bars that have no dance floor or restaurant, like I think the smoking ordinances should have allowed for smoking areas in some bars that are just literally bars that serve alcohol, because dude you choose to work in a bar, you could go work in a restaurant instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    These same people bitching about attempts to prevent them from gorging not only themselves but their children to death are the same ones wanting handouts to help with something they could have prevented. They're the same ones bitching about higher premiums and having to pay for an extra seat. He could have said he wanted to ban all sodas, but instead he's suggesting a ban of drinks larger than 16 oz.
    So if you're in disagreement with the ban you must be lazy, fat, and on welfare. Nice.

And it's not like they can't just buy two 16 oz drinks, sheesh.
    Another reason why it's pointless. It's just a moral platitude to appease the outraged. Doesn't matter if it works, so long as it looks like we're doing something about it, right?

Anyone remember the salt-free fare at Taco Bell-San Angeles in Demolition Man? I'll pass.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    @nebbykoo actually I partially take that back... I agree mostly with smoking bans I love the state of California, but frankly smoking should be optional for businesses with bars, like in Vegas. In Vegas I danced in non smoking clubs, and its better than dancing in a smoky dive bar, and sure I can see why a gentleman's club might have both smoking and non smoking areas though, and the same with smaller bars that have no dance floor or restaurant, like I think the smoking ordinances should have allowed for smoking areas in some bars that are just literally bars that serve alcohol, because dude you choose to work in a bar, you could go work in a restaurant instead.
    I agree with this. when I lived in NYC and played music a lot, I smoked a lot of second hand cigs. I mean...a lot.
    When the ban happened, there was an opening band (punk) and the singer said between songs 'It's so nice to not feel like you've smoked a pack of cigarettes between 9 and 10 PM!'
    Lots of places had smoking rooms too. That seems like a good solution to me...

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    So if you're in disagreement with the ban you must be lazy, fat, and on welfare. Nice.
    You should have replied to the person who actually wrote that.

Another reason why it's pointless.
    Not necessarily; paying more for an extra of something often deters people, even if it's only a few cents.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It appears the author of that article is posing as you, regurgitating paraphrased sentiments, and posting under your username here at TypC. Beware!
    The author's article didn't even contain the dribble you responded with.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't understand banning hot dog vendors. It seems like there are much more dire capitalist corporate evils to battle than small time hot dog vendors, which is an American tradition. In fact, I don't see how it helps anything, seems like it would just direct more business toward McDonalds. Which infuriates me and seems like a larger issue, no pun intended.

It would be like banning taco trucks in L.A. County. Fuck that shit, Ill cut somebody.

Anyway banning large size soft drinks does seem pointless, like one person said they'll just make small and medium sizes bigger.
    I think it was part of Giuliani's plan to 'class up' NYC. I think the compromise was instead of getting rid of the iconic food vendors altogether, they limited the number of licenses and areas the peeps could sell.

I guess Bloomberg would say the compromise of getting rid of soda entirely in NYC is to just limit it to smaller sizes. I'm surprised no one is saying this is an attack on poor people, because if you want a lot of soda now you'll have to spend more money for two smaller sizes and also contribute more waste.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

You should have replied to the person who actually wrote that.
    It appears the author of that article is posing as you, regurgitating paraphrased sentiments, and posting under your username here at TypC. Beware!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I guess Bloomberg would say the compromise of getting rid of soda entirely in NYC is to just limit it to smaller sizes. I'm surprised no one is saying this is an attack on poor people, because if you want a lot of soda now you'll have to spend more money for two smaller sizes and also contribute more waste.
    I'm surprised at Bloomberg's thinking. He's a businessman first isn't he? You'd think incentives for healthy food chains would be more his style.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I don't understand why people don't just oppose this kind of crap on principle. It's a dumb idea, and the government is overstepping itself... again...

A wise man once said "A government large enough to give you everything you want is a government large enough to take away everything you have."

Likewise, the more leeway the government has in controlling your life the more it's going to try to control it... And trust me, you may not object to this, but eventually the government is going to try to take away something you do care about...

For the record... I'm 6'4'' and 143 lbs, live nowhere remotely near New York, and rarely get any soda larger than a small... You don't have to be directly affected by this idea to have a problem with it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I just think it's silly to pass laws that are so easy to circumvent. On the plus side, it'll be more profit for the businesses when people start buying more than one soda!