Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that questioned whether it was true or not.... I just have a hard time believing he would "spell" it that way....
    Yeah, why would you use someone else's phone and twitter account to tweet at yourself?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    I've recently been thinking a lot about the meaning of language, especially 'offensive' language, and would really like to hear your opinion of 'reclaiming slurs'. I do absolutely agree with you that the issue of one marginalized group using a slur about themselves in a self-referential way gives no right to a privileged person to use the word(s) in question, but that still leaves the original issue murky.
    The groups don't even agree.

I had a spirited conversation with some LGB's the other week here at work over the terms "queer" and "tranny" -- same topic. The consensus here was more just to avoid them rather than trying to reclaim them, because they seem tainted beyond all repair. In-group, members will use them; but don't publicize them or try to reclaim them. Once a label gets tainted, it's like nuclear fall-out; it takes a long time for the half-life to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that questioned whether it was true or not.... I just have a hard time believing he would "spell" it that way....
    Yeah, that's kind of a smoking gun, to me. I suspect dat nigga he was trying to run interference for her, to cut her some slack. [comment removed cuz I'm not black]

I gotta say, it's kinda frustrating though because I have black friends who use the term around me all the time, and one "talks the talk" but I'm too white-bred to do it well nor do I want to step in a pit.

In a weird corollary, my white South American roomie started saying, "Peace, niggah," to me when she leaves the apartment.... I guess because it's so absurd for us to be using it. Now I'm waiting for the grey, white, and red parrot to pick it up.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The groups don't even agree.

I had a spirited conversation with some LGB's the other week here at work over the terms "queer" and "tranny" -- same topic. The consensus here was more just to avoid them rather than trying to reclaim them, because they seem tainted beyond all repair. In-group, members will use them; but don't publicize them or try to reclaim them. Once a label gets tainted, it's like nuclear fall-out; it takes a long time for the half-life to settle.
    Wow, the circles I move in have successfully reclaimed "queer" and I myself identify as such. In fact, as far as I'm aware it's relatively "mainstream" in LGBT and/or social justice circles - genderqueer is a term commonly used for those which do not fall into the gender binary. Tranny, on the other hand, is seen as offensive and dehumanizing.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wow, the circles I move in have successfully reclaimed "queer" and I myself identify as such. In fact, as far as I'm aware it's relatively "mainstream" in LGBT and/or social justice circles - genderqueer is a term commonly used for those which do not fall into the gender binary. Tranny, on the other hand, is seen as offensive and dehumanizing.
    Yeah -- basic consensus on the tranny word is that anyone using it outside of the community is a target for shoutdown; but some people in the community will use it for a joke. However, other members of the community will freak out over its use; the movine "Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives" drew a lot of reprisal from community members overall, even if the movie itself wasn't quite as horrible as the response.

I've also seen queens use the term pretty regularly. (RuPaul's drag race, anyone?)

I stayed with an older gay man for half a year at one point, and he started using it on me, and I finally told him to knock it off because I didn't like how he was using it... but I'll make the joke in private with a few of my similarly situationed friends who I know think it's rather humorous, just because we're not supposed to be using the word.

The gays here (east coast, Balt/Wash DC metro area) felt like "queer" had negative connotations in this day and age, as well as an outdated feel to it, and the community was too diverse for it to accurately describe everyone under its umbrella. I think only one of them out of about seven identified with the term, and they ran in age from 23-60 or so.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STUF

Whoops.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay. I'll laugh at that.
    (But I laugh at a lot of inappropriate stuff, don't take me as a litmus!)

PS. Who the hell is Fred?

MBTI
    STUF

Okay. I'll laugh at that.
    (But I laugh at a lot of inappropriate stuff, don't take me as a litmus!)

PS. Who the hell is Fred?
    I have no idea, that's the slogan for some local repair shop. It's pretty surreal to hear it on the radio.
    Whoops.

garbage

Three halfassed bologna thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yeah, why would you use someone else's phone and twitter account to tweet at yourself?
    I guess as some sort of grassroots thing, to make yourself seem more popular? That's all I can think of.

But that's just about the laziest coverup story I've ever heard anyone come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    We should have an official it's-in-the-lyrics-but-I'm-white word. Any takers?
    My white friend got kicked off the karaoke stage for singing a song that used That Forbidden Word verbatim. Maybe we can replace it with "African-American," no matter how awkward that makes the song:
    I heard payback's a motherfucking African-American
    That's why I'm sick of gettin treated like a goddamn stepchild
    Fuck a punk cause I ain't him
    You gotta deal with the nine-double-M
    The damn scum that you all hate
    Just think if African-Americans decide to retaliate
    Myself, I sang a song that used "fags" and replaced it with "fucks." If someone twisted around my intentions, they may have thought that I was calling gay people "fucks." Oh, well!

3. Another white friend continually pisses off his black girlfriend by using "nigga," even when he's not around her (which makes him look like a huge racist), believing that it's "okay" because he's dating a black chick. My black girl and my.. white.. self.. are absolutely floored by his attitude--not because we're offended, but because we see the obvious consequences.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

For the record, I'm from the bible belt, more specifically the Mid-South, am roughly college-aged, and I am femme genderqueer. I've never really heard the term 'queer' used as a slur or said with hatred (other words are more common here) and like I said, I use the term to self-identify. I'm not really one to play identity politics, though; I'm more likely to err on the side of not offending people. If someone were to ask me not to use the term then I would make an effort not to use offensive language around them.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

For the record, I'm from the bible belt, more specifically the Mid-South, am roughly college-aged, and I am femme genderqueer. I've never really heard the term 'queer' used as a slur or said with hatred (other words are more common here) and like I said, I use the term to self-identify. I'm not really one to play identity politics, though; I'm more likely to err on the side of not offending people. If someone were to ask me not to use the term then I would make an effort not to use offensive language around them.
    It would be interesting to see how other demographic regions pan out (like the mid-west, west coast, Seattle/Oregon area, etc.) Along with the age subgroups (Gen Y, Gen X, Boomer) as well as the gender divide (lesbians vs gays).

As for tranny, down in Alabama I suspect I'd get the "What, missy, you want someone to fix your car?" look, ha!

I should also note that I think the term "genderqueer" is different than "queer."