Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    You don't get to redefine a word so that it fits your philosophy any more than Spike Lee does. That's not what racism is and redefining it so that white people can't experience it is intellectually dishonest.
    She isn't redefining it, it's a legitmate definition in sociology. I wish they'd simply invented another word instead of using "racism" as this seems to sow confusion in non-academic discussions when it's used without explicit definition.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    You don't get to redefine a word so that it fits your philosophy any more than Spike Lee does. That's not what racism is and redefining it so that white people can't experience it is intellectually dishonest.
    Oh, yeah, I totally just arbitrarily decided to redefine that word so that I could make myself feel better. Or wait, maybe it's the sociological definition! By the way, I'm about as paper-white as they come, so really, where is my motivation?
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    Oh, yeah, I totally just arbitrarily decided to redefine that word so that I could make myself feel better. Or wait, maybe it's the sociological definition! By the way, I'm about as paper-white as they come, so really, where is my motivation?
    You are not in a sociology class, and the poster you so curtly reprimanded was not misusing the word - he was using the word as it is defined both in the dictionary and in general parlance. There was no need for your rebuke, and no standing to issue it. As for your motivation, your race wasn't something I thought about. Why would you have to be black? Haven't you heard of white liberal guilt?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Uh, me and my mom and my sisters and some of my female friends call each other bitch. I have no issue with gay men calling each other fags or African-Americans referring to their bros as "my nigga." Nigga usually isn't as in as bad taste as straight up "nigger" anyway.

My mom also throws around the word "cracker" jokingly, and my uncle asked me once what West Virginians do on Halloween....pumpkin! Get it??? GET IT!!!???

I called my half-Mexican ex a spick once but it was to get him to fucking stop making fun of my mom's accent, and the fact that I sound more Southern when I'm upset. He got it, not until that moment, he's that kind, but he got it. Finally. I wasn't joking though, I was making a point about mocking people for something they can't help, for who their are, where they come from, and what their culture is.

Like all communication, you should code-switch, and consider your audience. I don't call my 50 year old ESFJ friend "bro" for example.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    You don't believe racial divisions will continue to dilute? Seriously? Which comedian said we'll all be Mariah Carey and Tiger Woods eventually, cause they are right? I am biracial and my child will be further genetically diverse. This is our future. It just is.
    Not directly answering the question but related - as wonderful as multicultural mixing is, don't you think it's also kind of sad or disheartening that the only reason racial tensions dilute is because people literally become more and more racially mixed as a population? That doesn't actually speak to the fact that differences are seen as inherently wrong or negatives or that different races are institutionally and socially placed on different levels.

That also reminds me of Paul Mooney who jokes that he can make fun of every race he wants to because he has a member from every racial group in his family and he is essentially making fun of his grandkids, i.e. what he's saying is not coming from a place of hate. I don't necessarily agree with that line of reasoning, but I do think a lot (not all) of his observations on race are on point. (And heck, since we're on the topic of race: I saw him perform live in DC, I was the only non-black person there, and one of the youngest, I was kinda surprised but I think he is a lot more popular now post Chappelle Show)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari