User Tag List

123 Last

Smile The Second Elizabethan Age

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, is the still, quiet centre of fast moving Australia.

The Queen has been our centre for sixty years, sixty good years for Australia. And the whole of Australia, except for one small territory, voted to keep Elizabeth II as our Sovereign.

We keep our Sovereign, as our Sovereign keeps us, as we reach back to the depth of our spoken culture.

Our connection to our deep spoken culture is of course invisible to those who have only known a literate culture. The literate are deaf to our spoken culture. But for 200,000 years we lived in our spoken culture; and it is only in the last 100 years that we have lived in a literate culture.

Why, there are important members of Central who think the illiterate, that is, those of a spoken culture, are stupid.

But it is the spoken culture that has given us poetry, the poetry of the spoken word.

But as I have perservered in introducing poetry to Central over my last almost 10,000 posts, I have met the most spiteful resistance by the literate.

For poetry does not write 'on topic'. Only literate prose writes 'on topic'.

And note: the Literate Police are constantly forcing us to write 'on topic'.

But still, Spring is in the air. We have lived through the Arab Spring, and how we long for the Spring of Typology Central.

Elizabeth II has kept hope alive; and now we have the means, the electronic media, to breathe new life into our spoken culture.

Long live the Queen on Her Diamond Jubilee.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Would making sense be considered too "on topic"?
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

A Passé Straightjacket

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Would making sense be considered too "on topic"?
    This is a good question, for what makes sense in one culture, doesn't make sense in another.

For instance, there are many here who say quite openly that they don't understand poetry because poetry is the child of the spoken culture, and of course it has been shoe horned into the current literate culture, but at the expense of its potency and meaning.

However we are now leaving the literate culture and entering the electronic culture, which is very much like the old spoken culture.

So those of us who have been compelled to go to school by law to learn to read and write are now at a disadvantage. And naturally we resist the new electronic age that is upon us. Who could blame us?

But just look right in front of you now - you are not reading printed text, i.e., literate text, you and I are reading electronic text. And soon the text will be joined by the spoken word and physical gestures, i.e., the proprioceptive sense.

So literacy privileges the eye, while the old spoken culture and the new electronic culture engage all the senses, democratically.

So what is common sense under literacy, makes little sense in electronic or spoken cultures.

So quite soon, those with the literate fetish to write on topic will be seen to be in a passé straightjacket.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a good question, for what makes sense in one culture, doesn't make sense in another.

For instance, there are many here who say quite openly that they don't understand poetry because poetry is the child of the spoken culture, and of course it has been shoe horned into the current literate culture, but at the expense of its potency and meaning.

However we are now leaving the literate culture and entering the electronic culture, which is very much like the old spoken culture.

So those of us who have been compelled to go to school by law to learn to read and write are now at a disadvantage. And naturally we resist the new electronic age that is upon us. Who could blame us?

But just look right in front of you now - you are not reading printed text, i.e., literate text, you and I are reading electronic text. And soon the text will be joined by the spoken word and physical gestures, i.e., the proprioceptive sense.

So literacy privileges the eye, while the old spoken culture and the new electronic culture engage all the senses, democratically.

So what is common sense under literacy, makes little sense in electronic or spoken cultures.

So quite soon, those with the literate fetish to write on topic will be seen as passé.
    I'll take that as a "yes"
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

RDF

[...] But as I have perservered in introducing poetry to Central over my last almost 10,000 posts, I have met the most spiteful resistance by the literate. [...]
    You’re not writing poetry. You’re just using Ne. You’re being whimsical and stringing a lot of disparate crap together.

For example, in the OP: The Queen’s jubilee -- romantic notions about pre-literacy -- poetry arousing the ire of neaderthals on TypoC -- your seniority on the message board vs. the scorn you receive for your efforts.

There is more to poetry than just Ne’ing at random. What you’re doing is just raw whimsy and narcissism. And maybe a little bit of paranoia.

Like any other performer, poets need to know their audience. After “almost 10,000 posts” here, you’re still clueless.

Don’t get me wrong, Victor; I would miss you and your picture of the Prime Minister if you disappeared from the message board. I’m just saying you ought to pay a little more attention to your audience rather than snubbing them.

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    You’re not writing poetry. You’re just using Ne. You’re being whimsical and stringing a lot of disparate crap together.

For example, in the OP: The Queen’s jubilee -- romantic notions about pre-literacy -- poetry arousing the ire of neaderthals on TypoC -- your seniority on the message board vs. the scorn you receive for your efforts.

There is more to poetry than just Ne’ing at random. What you’re doing is just raw whimsy and narcissism. And maybe a little bit of paranoia.

Like any other performer, poets need to know their audience. After “almost 10,000 posts” here, you’re still clueless.

Don’t get me wrong, Victor; I would miss you and your picture of the Prime Minister if you disappeared from the message board. I’m just saying you ought to pay a little more attention to your audience rather than snubbing them.
    My audience are the ocean in which I fish. Each cast gives me new insight into the moods, ideology and the unconscious of the fish. Does a fisherman ask whether the fish like him? Does a fisherman catch their attention with flattery or a sharp hook?

Smile

The Second Elizabeth is the most reported person in the world; and through the nine children of Queen Victoria, Elizabeth II is related to all the crowned heads of Europe and Russia; and on top of that, Elizabeth II is the chosen Sovereign of fifty-three (53) independent countries.

Australia is one of those fifty-three Commonwealth Countries, and today we celebrate the sixty year reign of Elizabeth II. You would see Australian Life Savers rowing down the Thames in their surf boats as part of the flotilla celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.

And we wonder what would Elizabeth I make of the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II?
    Last edited by Mole; 06-06-2012 at 03:07 AM.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

so im not even sure what your opinions are
    1+1=3 OMFG

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I consider myself an Elizabethan, because of the queen.

Plus ER on all the post boxes and stuff.

I was thinking today; Victorian Houses and, Edwardian Houses are great, but the Elizabethan Houses... 'Not my cup of tea.'

RDF

My audience are the ocean in which I fish. Each cast gives me new insight into the moods, ideology and the unconscious of the fish. Does a fisherman ask whether the fish like him? Does a fisherman catch their attention with flattery or a sharp hook?
    In the OP you sounded a little bitter about the paucity of the “catch”: “[...] But as I have perservered in introducing poetry to Central over my last almost 10,000 posts, I have met the most spiteful resistance by the literate.”

But if you’re now saying that you’re catching enough fish to satisfy your needs, then I won’t quibble. You’ve kept it up for 10,000 posts, so I suppose you must be getting some kind of gratification from it.