User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Good heavens, the literate represent the past, and the Monarchy represent the future of our new, electronic culture. You can see it in the faces of Prince William and Kate.
    Have more faith!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The Monarchy is a circus to distract people from their lives.

Princess Di's death was the biggest non-news story of all-time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

I agree with you about Diana. And I am no fan of monarchy, in most cases it seems like an expensive anachronism maintained purely for the tabloids. However, I think there are circumstances where a royal house fulfils an aditional social role. It stands for continuity and stability. On the one hand you have countries like Japan where they are extremely proud of their long history and 1000 years of continuity on the throne represents that. And then there are countries like Spain that was politically shaken up after the civil war and the Franco regime. In that case the king represented stability and gave people confidence during the transition to democracy. In the end in a democracy the monarch is a national symbol. What pros and cons go with having that symbol depends on the individual countries history and resulting self preception.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Iunno i just don't get what's with the hats lols. Man in uniform, woman in hats. whut? They are definitely at the forefront of hat fashion. I bet rich betches in england wear those fancy hats all the time. I want a hat
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    GONE

Screw the queen, the crown, and other anachronistic send-ups to old world imperialism. I can't believe modern citizens actually get excited about this stuff and want to celebrate. I'm floored when people from parts of the UK colonized world get all excited and it's time for a modern minstrel show.

I mentioned "Jubilee" to my friend who was visiting CA and she summed it up nicely, "Ugh".
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

BTW I read Victor's OP and I still can't understand exactly what he's saying, are you pro-monarchy or anti-monarchy Mr. Spiritual Exercise?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    BTW I read Victor's OP and I still can't understand exactly what he's saying, are you pro-monarchy or anti-monarchy Mr. Spiritual Exercise?
    I'm coming, I'm coming!

"Monarchy is archaic. Pre-enlightenment magical-poetic-intuitive thinking is archaic. Enlightenment and rationality are overrated and already passé. The archaic is having a comeback. Mean people at TypoC are clinging to enlightenment and rationality and don't appreciate the beauty of magical-poetical irrational selfexpression even though it is how humans have thought and communicated for most of their history.

Rationality is merely a fad and mean and cold and boring on top of that."
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I'm coming, I'm coming!

"Monarchy is archaic. Pre-enlightenment magical-poetic-intuitive thinking is archaic. Enlightenment and rationality are overrated and already passé. The archaic is having a comeback. Mean people at TypoC are clinging to enlightenment and rationality and don't appreciate the beauty of magical-poetical irrational selfexpression even though it is how humans have thought and communicated for most of their history.

Danke sehr!

Ummmm, so this post has nothing to do with actual Queens and Jubilee?

BOO! I want my post count reset.

BTW, wow that is a lot of bad things for rationality to be.

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

Of course you don't understand. Television made monarchy immortal.

And now in the electronic age, we all feel as one, and the monarch is now part of our central nervous system.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Germans love our Germanic Queen, and most Germans are anglophiles, and we return the same compliment.

Ah Herring, if only you could see the world through the eyes of Holmes and Watson, what fun we would have.