User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Please do, because it seems my understanding of the term is incorrect....though it would seem that most people who routinely use the term are incorrect, as well. I consider the rejection of my understanding of hetero-normativity to lead to idiocy like this: http://nationaljournal.com/thenextam..._search&page=1

As for Swordpath and his motivations, its perfectly reasonable to be annoyed at the anvilicious* nature of this change.

* http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious
    I do think that there are some anvils that aren't all bad to drop, though.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    The thing is that a very small population identifies as homosexual, even a smaller population, in the land of fiction, would be endowed with super hero capabilities. The chance of there being a gay super hero is slim to none using basic, logical reasoning. :P
    By your own logic, at least 10% of superheroes should be gay. Are 10% of superheroes gay? (I have no idea about these things...)

I agree, though, it's pretty unrealistic, and I know that a heavy dose of realism is what I'm looking for in my superhero comic books...
    I think if he REALLY were gay he'd have a better costume.

Funny enough, I've always thought superheroes represented men's "alternative" sexuality fantasies... the double life, the masquerade, the tight pvc costumes, etc.
    Perhaps it's just the fact that this subtext is being made explicit that is making fanboys so uncomfortable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't really see what "he had a wife and kids!!!! OMGZ0RZ!" has to do with anything. You don't think gay people marry members of the opposite sex and start families with them sometimes? If that never happened, I wouldn't be a part of my own current nuclear family.
    Noah Fence is gay?
    This is a bigger scoop.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

What??

Wait, why does she have such tension with Bat Man then?

U saw that.

Yeah, comics are WAY confusing. You literally need an atlas to understand what's going onl. It's even more confusing because a lot of competing story lines exist or are considered "non canonical" so it's like in one comic so and so is a doctor from Albuerqueque and then in another he's a masseuse from NYC and yre like "what's going on??"

It seems comics are meant more for the spirit of the character and petty things like birth, deaths, family, relationships, jobs, etc. are free to change and be erased at any time. It seems like comic publishers spam readers with as many stories as possible at once instead of thinking of one cohesive meta narrative.

This seems totally pulp fiction b-rated to me which is why other than movies I avoid big name comics like the plague. I do enjoy indie comics though as they respect the narrative and can keep their stories straight.

The Green alanterns is an obvious choice to make gay, a female, a minority, etc since it's basically an international army of people and there have been several different Earthling characters to fill that's role, including someone's daughter, right? the Green Lantern was meant to Constwntly introduce new characters so it's not a fixed nrrwtive and was never meant to be.
    @bold, yes..... Dear God, yes.

I have never been into comics but I saw X-Men 2 with my ex and I was super curious as to what happened to Jane Grey. So he decided to tell me................ and 4 hours later I was like, STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP.

Too much weirdness.

Comics are soap operas for men/boys.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    By your own logic, at least 10% of superheroes should be gay. Are 10% of superheroes gay? (I have no idea about these things...)
    Just as a small quibble, even the gay activists essentially corrected their numbers back to the more accurate 2-4% figure, it was never 10%.

But that being said, the rest of the logic holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I have never been into comics but I saw X-Men 2 with my ex and I was super curious as to what happened to Jane Grey.
    Jean. Jean Grey.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think this case is a bit weird, because a lot of people that read those things are people that, in a way, want become the hero. Imagine a heterosexual kid that has a green lantern cosplay. Now, suddenly, green lantern is gay.
    They should've created a gay character from scratch. This is a bit twisted.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think this case is a bit weird, because a lot of people that read these things are people that, in a way, want become the hero. Imagine a heterosexual kid that has a green lantern cosplay. Now, suddenly, green lantern is gay.
    They should've created a gay character from scratch. This is a bit twisted.
    Although now I'm laughing a little... I mean, isn't this exactly how hets feel when a guy who has gotten married as a male, raised kids, etc., finally says, "I can't do this anymore" and comes out as gay or trans? Everyone's like, "OMG, you're NOT gay!! You can't be!! you had kids! You seemed het, like us!" There is incredulity, a sense of being fooled, confusion and annoyance, etc

BTW, they've created gay characters. The point under discussions was exactly why there had never been any of the big profile names that were gay-affiliated. So they think they are just "making a correction." Note they did not pick Supes or Batman or Aquaman, they picked someone more expendable.

More basic research would reveal thoughts like this:

“I was sort of putting the team together and I realized one of the only downsides to relaunching the Justice Society as young, vibrant heroes again was that Alan Scott’s son was no longer going to exist in the reboot,” says “Earth 2” series writer James Robinson, who wrote a 1998 storyline about Obsidian that featured the first gay superhero kiss in comics.
    So DC ia rebooting everything and thus changing a bunch of things. And they were writing out an openly gay character who had actually set a landmark (just like Kirk's kissing Uhura back on Star Trek: TOS was monumental at the time, a TV kiss between black and white people), and so this is actually a way of maintaining in general a bit more continuity than DC was planning to do by erasing some continuity.

Also, like I said before, there are at least three other green lanterns, and the one that most people seem to know the most about would be Hal Jordan (the one featured in the movies with Ryan Reynolds), and then you'd have Kyle Radnor (one of the younger green lanterns) who kids would be far more likely to identify with. Alan Scott's kind of a "golden age" hero recast in the Earth 2 continuity. DC sucks at continuities anyway; I remember they let Legion of Superheroes reboot back in the 80's/early 90's and threw out the reboot after a few years. Few of these things ever stick.

Besides, does anyone want to be on the side of One Million Moms' political stances?

From their quoted response:
    “Children mimic superhero actions and even dress up in costumes to resemble these characters as much as possible,” the conservative group said in a statement. “Can you imagine little boys saying, ‘I want a boyfriend or husband like X-men?"
    Actually, I expect straight boys to be turned off by the idea, they're still going to like girls. Meanwhile, gay boys will still like boys. Perhaps there are some people in-between who would experiment, and they'd quickly end up as whatever they were anyway. Some of the hubbub here is from the folks who are afraid you can "catch the geh" whereas that's not really the case.

Northstar, the character they are bitching about, was actually created to be gay (according to John Byrne) and came off as the non-out gay stereotype back when Alpha Flight was created, I was reading them at the time and always wondered if he was. So it's been a long time expected he would marry a man; I think it only speaks to the more typically traditional views in mainstream American comics that it took so long to get here publicly. American mainstream comics have been violent for a long time but in many other areas I think are not the leaders in racial or preference cultural change.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Just as a small quibble, even the gay activists essentially corrected their numbers back to the more accurate 2-4% figure, it was never 10%.

But that being said, the rest of the logic holds.

Jean. Jean Grey.
    What you can tell that what he said really stuck with me. I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL ERRORS>

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Although now I'm laughing a little... I mean, isn't this exactly how hets feel when a guy who has gotten married as a male, raised kids, etc., finally says, "I can't do this anymore" and comes out as gay or trans? Everyone's like, "OMG, you're NOT gay!! You can't be!! you had kids! You seemed het, like us!" There is incredulity, a sense of being fooled, confusion and annoyance, etc
    Heh. Yes, that happens. But most guys would rather see their hero beat the crap out of the villain and score with the hottie. The usual, you know?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Heh. Yes, that happens. But most guys would rather see their hero beat the crap out of the villain and score with the hottie. The usual, you know?
    I added a little more to that post above... basically about how it was a continuity correction in some ways, and how the Green Lantern you are talking about isn't really the Green Lantern most little boys identify with .... they're usually thinking of Hal Jordan (so popular he was the one that got put in the popular movie directed at 13-year-old boys) or Kyle Radnor, or maybe Guy Gardner.

I expect it to be, "I'm not THAT Green Lantern, I'm the cool one in the movie!"