First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    It's simply for keeping a pushed agenda out of where it really has no place being. It's that simple. You're welcome to psychoanalyze this as deeply as you want, and I hope it satisifies you to do so.

You're so obvious that I don't even need to psychoanalyze you.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's simply for keeping a pushed agenda out of where it really has no place being. It's that simple. You're welcome to psychoanalyze this as deeply as you want, and I hope it satisifies you to do so.
    Literature and graphic novels have had "agendas" since their inception. They've tackled topics ranging from drug abuse to parental abandonment to political issues. Why should homosexuality be the one thing that is kept out of the media?
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Literature and graphic novels have had "agendas" since their inception. They've tackled topics ranging from drug abuse to parental abandonment to political issues. Why should homosexuality be the one thing that is kept out of the media?
    Where have I said that homosexuality should be kept out of the media? I've only stated the contrary... I'm all for a gay super hero, if that's what comic book writers want to do. See Black Cat's post for more on the issue with Green Lantern.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Then that's being angry for "it's not canon" reasons, which is separate from "gay social agenda being imposed on me" anger. The OP is the latter, since he doesn't read comics and has no investment in the story.

Besides, fucking comic series take all kinds of liberties with characters and storylines. There have already been a shitload since the original Green Lantern. Who gives a shit? I don't understand rigid people (not that you are, BC...I'm just saying in general.)
    Yeah, they do take tons of liberties. Which I think is great, personally. But if you break the very basis of a character in some way it gets a bit funny.

A lot of the uproar about this I've seen HAS been over the fact that they're making him gay, but I'm trying to play a bit of the devil's advocate and suggest that it could also be for just changing around the story entirely; which seems to be where some of the distress comes from. But really. I think that this could be a good step in the right direction, as a statement, but they really shouldn't have changed the lore this much. But who knows, maybe this fresh new start will be overall better? It just seems like when things like this happen it almost always goes downhill, not to mention the fans being mad lol.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

You're so obvious that I don't even need to psychoanalyze you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I think @Orangey has nailed it in this thread.

There is no legit non-homophobic reason to object to this unless you are a reader/fan of Green Lantern. Those fans can object to anything that alters the character they like, since they are the ones invested.

I don't care if Green Lantern is gay, black, a pregnant woman, a Buddhist, an Islamic terrorist, or even the worst thing imaginable - French-Canadian.

I would object if they made him a pedophile for example, but that's because I will happily admit I am anti-child molester.

If you object to making Green Lantern gay and you're not a fan, you're anti-gay.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have heard there are gay men who have (ex)-wifes and children. But that might just be rumor.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

They could have just did some heavy promoting on this and then had TWO gay super heroes. Idiots...
    The ambiguously gay duo stereotypes gay men too much to be seen as relateable to the gay community

Btw I had no idea steven colbert and steve carell were the voices of ace and gary cool

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I think @Orangey has nailed it in this thread.

There is no legit non-homophobic reason to object to this unless you are a reader/fan of Green Lantern. Those fans can object to anything that alters the character they like, since they are the ones invested.

I don't care if Green Lantern is gay, black, a pregnant woman, a Buddhist, an Islamic terrorist, or even the worst thing imaginable - French-Canadian.

I would object if they made him a pedophile for example, but that's because I will happily admit I am anti-child molester.

If you object to making Green Lantern gay and you're not a fan, you're anti-gay.
    Obliviousness as to how it feels/not relating/not "stepping into the other person's shoes" about sums it up methinks
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm trying to figure out how my embracing the gay community and having no issue with them, yet having an issue with this makes it all anti-gay then. Hrrmmm.

The green lantern was married with children for crying out loud.
    My cousin married a man. They had children 'for crying out loud'. He came out of the closet and told her he was gay. They divorced, but remain friends. That's what happens in the real world.

I have brown eyes and some people have blue eyes. So?
    I'm straight and some people are gay. So?

Someone wants The Green Lantern to come out of the closet. So?
    Oprah gave birth to a martian baby. So?