User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 121

  1. #31
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    There have been talks that a prominent superhero will come out gay in new issues of said hero's comic books. It has been made public that the homosexual superhero is none other than the Green Lantern. The article is below.

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...=SFnewyorkpost

    I think it's really stupid, because its absolutely nothing more than a forced method of shoving a social agenda down people's throats. I'm all for gay people doing their thang, but leave your opinions on sexuality out of my comic book especially when its obviously contrived for purposes outside of the focus of comic book entertainment. The green lantern was married with children for crying out loud. Oh yeah, I don't even read comic books.
    I agree, this is an absurd attempt at political correctness
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #32
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    The thing is that a very small population identifies as homosexual, even a smaller population, in the land of fiction, would be endowed with super hero capabilities. The chance of there being a gay super hero is slim to none using basic, logical reasoning. :P
    Do you see any approbation in having a black superhero, or maybe a deaf or blind one? Did Xavier's wheelchair ever really bother you, because the chance of a superhero being paraplegic was "slim to none using basic, logical reasoning"? Chances are it didn't, unless maybe you're disgusted by paraplegics too.

    And the thing about 'just make a new one'- would you be opposed to an established character 'coming out' if he didn't have a wife and family already? The benefit in choosing an established superhero is that there's already an emotional investment for a lot of people in an established character. Some people will get angry, but others will be forced to look at "why do I have such a problem with this anyway?" in a way that they wouldn't normally consider if there were no already existing emotional investment.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  3. #33
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Some people will get angry, but others will be forced to look at "why do I have such a problem with this anyway?" in a way that they wouldn't normally consider if there were no already existing emotional investment.
    And some will rationalize their anger as anti-PC righteousness.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  4. #34
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yes, so you'd be okay if the gay superheroes were shuffled off into the corner with the other shit that no one reads. You don't like the visibility. Why? Because you don't like the "gay agenda." Why? Because you're anti-gay.
    lol. You're relentless with your delusions... Anything else I need to know about?

  5. #35
    Intergalactic Badass mujigay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Why couldn't they make a new, gay super hero? I'd be fine with that. Why twist a historic comic book hero's story away from a wife and kids to gay if it wasn't simply to shock an agenda into the mix? How is it homophobic or anti-gay to feel that way? It's not the message, it's the method and the platform being used! I guess I'm combating the PC police.
    Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why it's so much worse to have one of the old, high-profile superheroes come out of the closet? How does that fundamentally damage their character, and is that really any more "social engineering" than creating a new, gay superhero?
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

    All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

  6. #36
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    I think that this is stupid too. It's not the fact that they made him gay stupid, it's that they basically totally rewrote who he is from the ground up in a way, since he had a wife and kids. Then they decide to change it to where he's gay, and none of that existed? That's basically making the older comics irrelevant to the fans, I understand why they're angry.

    While I understand DC's motives in wanting others to be more accepting of gay people and to "get with the times" (as they put it), they could have done it with any other hero, especially one without a wife and kids, and especially without totally redoing the story. Also this eliminates a character entirely, his son who is also a superhero (and happens to be gay). I mean... what about the other Green Lantern, the black one? Couldn't they have made him gay? That green lantern's wife was murdered, maybe they could have made him go Bi and get attracted to another male Green Lantern? You shouldn't just totally rehash something like that IMO, but adding onto it like that would have made much more sense.

    Someone thinking that this TOTAL plot change is stupid doesn't make them homophobic. What if, say, they totally redid Harry Potter to where he never met Ron, or something? People would be mad. It's along the same thing. It doesn't matter if the character happens to be gay or not, it's still along the same principal.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  7. #37
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think that this is stupid too. It's not the fact that they made him gay stupid, it's that they basically totally rewrote who he is from the ground up in a way, since he had a wife and kids. Then they decide to change it to where he's gay, and none of that existed? That's basically making the older comics irrelevant to the fans, I understand why they're angry.

    While I understand DC's motives in wanting others to be more accepting of gay people and to "get with the times" (as they put it), they could have done it with any other hero, especially one without a wife and kids, and especially without totally redoing the story. Also this eliminates a character entirely, his son who is also a superhero (and happens to be gay). I mean... what about the other Green Lantern, the black one? Couldn't they have made him gay? That green lantern's wife was murdered, maybe they could have made him go Bi and get attracted to another male Green Lantern? You shouldn't just totally rehash something like that IMO, but adding onto it like that would have made much more sense.

    Someone thinking that this TOTAL plot change is stupid doesn't make them homophobic. What if, say, they totally redid Harry Potter to where he never met Ron, or something? People would be mad. It's along the same thing. It doesn't matter if the character happens to be gay or not, it's still along the same principal.
    Then that's being angry for "it's not canon" reasons, which is separate from "gay social agenda being imposed on me" anger. The OP is the latter, since he doesn't read comics and has no investment in the story.

    Besides, fucking comic series take all kinds of liberties with characters and storylines. There have already been a shitload since the original Green Lantern. Who gives a shit? I don't understand rigid people (not that you are, BC...I'm just saying in general.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #38
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why it's so much worse to have one of the old, high-profile superheroes come out of the closet? How does that fundamentally damage their character, and is that really any more "social engineering" than creating a new, gay superhero?
    In my eyes, it doesn't damage character but in general I'm not a fan of a person's moral convictions being trampled on. While I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality, I know that for many people, in many cultures, they do. If those people aren't infringing on another person's rights, then I believe they are entitled to their moral conviction and for an alternative perspective to be jammed down their throat in the likes of a hero whom many have an emotional investment in, and given no option but to accept it or be looked at as a hateful, homophobe, that is wrong.

  9. #39
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    In my eyes, it doesn't damage character but in general I'm not a fan of a person's moral convictions being trampled on. While I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality, I know that for many people, in many cultures, they do. If those people aren't infringing on another person's rights, then I believe they are entitled to their moral conviction and for an alternative perspective to be jammed down their throat and given no option but to accept it or be looked at as a hateful, homophobe, that is wrong.
    And here it comes, slithering out.

    It's fer da other cultures, see?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  10. #40
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    And here it comes, slithering out.

    It's fer da other cultures, see?
    It's simply for keeping a pushed agenda out of where it really has no place being. It's that simple. You're welcome to psychoanalyze this as deeply as you want, and I hope it satisifies you to do so.

Similar Threads

  1. How should the media and Hollywood handle the changing superhero scene?
    By kyuuei in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-09-2015, 09:09 AM
  2. The Media's Effect On the Gay Teen Suicide Rate
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
  3. Eliminate the ‘gay panic’ defence from Queensland law
    By Nijntje in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM
  4. The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage
    By teslashock in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM
  5. So what's really the big deal about Gay marriage?
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO