Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    There have been talks that a prominent superhero will come out gay in new issues of said hero's comic books. It has been made public that the homosexual superhero is none other than the Green Lantern. The article is below.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...=SFnewyorkpost

I think it's really stupid, because its absolutely nothing more than a forced method of shoving a social agenda down people's throats. I'm all for gay people doing their thang, but leave your opinions on sexuality out of my comic book especially when its obviously contrived for purposes outside of the focus of comic book entertainment. The green lantern was married with children for crying out loud. Oh yeah, I don't even read comic books.
    I agree, this is an absurd attempt at political correctness
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The thing is that a very small population identifies as homosexual, even a smaller population, in the land of fiction, would be endowed with super hero capabilities. The chance of there being a gay super hero is slim to none using basic, logical reasoning. :P
    Do you see any approbation in having a black superhero, or maybe a deaf or blind one? Did Xavier's wheelchair ever really bother you, because the chance of a superhero being paraplegic was "slim to none using basic, logical reasoning"? Chances are it didn't, unless maybe you're disgusted by paraplegics too.

And the thing about 'just make a new one'- would you be opposed to an established character 'coming out' if he didn't have a wife and family already? The benefit in choosing an established superhero is that there's already an emotional investment for a lot of people in an established character. Some people will get angry, but others will be forced to look at "why do I have such a problem with this anyway?" in a way that they wouldn't normally consider if there were no already existing emotional investment.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Some people will get angry, but others will be forced to look at "why do I have such a problem with this anyway?" in a way that they wouldn't normally consider if there were no already existing emotional investment.
    And some will rationalize their anger as anti-PC righteousness.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yes, so you'd be okay if the gay superheroes were shuffled off into the corner with the other shit that no one reads. You don't like the visibility. Why? Because you don't like the "gay agenda." Why? Because you're anti-gay.
    lol. You're relentless with your delusions... Anything else I need to know about?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Why couldn't they make a new, gay super hero? I'd be fine with that. Why twist a historic comic book hero's story away from a wife and kids to gay if it wasn't simply to shock an agenda into the mix? How is it homophobic or anti-gay to feel that way? It's not the message, it's the method and the platform being used! I guess I'm combating the PC police.
    Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why it's so much worse to have one of the old, high-profile superheroes come out of the closet? How does that fundamentally damage their character, and is that really any more "social engineering" than creating a new, gay superhero?
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that this is stupid too. It's not the fact that they made him gay stupid, it's that they basically totally rewrote who he is from the ground up in a way, since he had a wife and kids. Then they decide to change it to where he's gay, and none of that existed? That's basically making the older comics irrelevant to the fans, I understand why they're angry.

While I understand DC's motives in wanting others to be more accepting of gay people and to "get with the times" (as they put it), they could have done it with any other hero, especially one without a wife and kids, and especially without totally redoing the story. Also this eliminates a character entirely, his son who is also a superhero (and happens to be gay). I mean... what about the other Green Lantern, the black one? Couldn't they have made him gay? That green lantern's wife was murdered, maybe they could have made him go Bi and get attracted to another male Green Lantern? You shouldn't just totally rehash something like that IMO, but adding onto it like that would have made much more sense.

Someone thinking that this TOTAL plot change is stupid doesn't make them homophobic. What if, say, they totally redid Harry Potter to where he never met Ron, or something? People would be mad. It's along the same thing. It doesn't matter if the character happens to be gay or not, it's still along the same principal.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think that this is stupid too. It's not the fact that they made him gay stupid, it's that they basically totally rewrote who he is from the ground up in a way, since he had a wife and kids. Then they decide to change it to where he's gay, and none of that existed? That's basically making the older comics irrelevant to the fans, I understand why they're angry.

While I understand DC's motives in wanting others to be more accepting of gay people and to "get with the times" (as they put it), they could have done it with any other hero, especially one without a wife and kids, and especially without totally redoing the story. Also this eliminates a character entirely, his son who is also a superhero (and happens to be gay). I mean... what about the other Green Lantern, the black one? Couldn't they have made him gay? That green lantern's wife was murdered, maybe they could have made him go Bi and get attracted to another male Green Lantern? You shouldn't just totally rehash something like that IMO, but adding onto it like that would have made much more sense.

Someone thinking that this TOTAL plot change is stupid doesn't make them homophobic. What if, say, they totally redid Harry Potter to where he never met Ron, or something? People would be mad. It's along the same thing. It doesn't matter if the character happens to be gay or not, it's still along the same principal.
    Then that's being angry for "it's not canon" reasons, which is separate from "gay social agenda being imposed on me" anger. The OP is the latter, since he doesn't read comics and has no investment in the story.

Besides, fucking comic series take all kinds of liberties with characters and storylines. There have already been a shitload since the original Green Lantern. Who gives a shit? I don't understand rigid people (not that you are, BC...I'm just saying in general.)

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you explain to me why it's so much worse to have one of the old, high-profile superheroes come out of the closet? How does that fundamentally damage their character, and is that really any more "social engineering" than creating a new, gay superhero?
    In my eyes, it doesn't damage character but in general I'm not a fan of a person's moral convictions being trampled on. While I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality, I know that for many people, in many cultures, they do. If those people aren't infringing on another person's rights, then I believe they are entitled to their moral conviction and for an alternative perspective to be jammed down their throat in the likes of a hero whom many have an emotional investment in, and given no option but to accept it or be looked at as a hateful, homophobe, that is wrong.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

In my eyes, it doesn't damage character but in general I'm not a fan of a person's moral convictions being trampled on. While I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality, I know that for many people, in many cultures, they do. If those people aren't infringing on another person's rights, then I believe they are entitled to their moral conviction and for an alternative perspective to be jammed down their throat and given no option but to accept it or be looked at as a hateful, homophobe, that is wrong.
    And here it comes, slithering out.

It's fer da other cultures, see?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    And here it comes, slithering out.

It's fer da other cultures, see?
    It's simply for keeping a pushed agenda out of where it really has no place being. It's that simple. You're welcome to psychoanalyze this as deeply as you want, and I hope it satisifies you to do so.