First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    What happened to Hal Jordon? Did he die? Also, which one was the black green lantern on the justice league? He seemed more bad ass then Hal Jordon.
    You can Google this, probably; but I think Hal Jordan had a bone to pick with the Guardians and ended up destroying Oa / the Guardians. At some point in his sojourn into questionable behavior, he was called Parallax. And then at some point he sacrificed himself to reignite the dying sun, becoming somewhat of a hero again.

And then, as typically happens, they brought him back for some reason and now I guess he is Green Lantern again. I haven't really read comics regularly since about 1998-2000, so I'm not sure of anything anymore except what I pick up by accident.

I remember the black guy but don't recall his name nor know what happened to him. I do remember Guy Gardner pretty well, he was in the Justice League when it was pretty fun to read.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And then, as typically happens, they brought him back for some reason and now I guess he is Green Lantern again. I haven't really read comics regularly since about 1998-2000, so I'm not sure of anything anymore except what I pick up by accident.
    I few years ago, I thought about getting back into Marvel comics....then I read about what happened with Spiderman, Jean Grey, all the members of Generation X, and other favorites.....I decided I was better off pretending that Marvel was discontinued after 1997-1998. I still read Punisher once in a long while, though.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't really see what "he had a wife and kids!!!! OMGZ0RZ!" has to do with anything. You don't think gay people marry members of the opposite sex and start families with them sometimes? If that never happened, I wouldn't be a part of my own current nuclear family.
    I guess it just kinda bugs me due to having some "bisexual erasure" potential... Like, "No, he's gay, he was never actually attracted to his wife!". You get my drift?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I few years ago, I thought about getting back into Marvel comics....then I read about what happened with Spiderman, Jean Grey, all the members of Generation X, and other favorites.....I decided I was better off pretending that Marvel was discontinued after 1997-1998. I still read Punisher once in a long while, though.
    That's kind of what happened to me too. Things just keep getting changed. There are chunks of continuity I just pretend never happened either... although I have to admit I did not have problems with Joss Whedon bringing Colossus back or establishing a relationship for a bit with Kitty again; but that seemed almost like righting an old wrong (Colossus' cheap 'death' being one of them).

Anyway, "soap opera for boys" sometimes seems apropos.

I kind of dismiss bad twists, just as I've dismissed bad movie twists as well and discounted later installments (such as Terminator 3, Alien 3-4, etc.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I guess it just kinda bugs me due to having some "bisexual erasure" potential... Like, "No, he's gay, he was never actually attracted to his wife!". You get my drift?
    I generally think it's more complicated than that. It's not that someone doesn't feel some level of interest/attraction, but one comes to realize as it's explored that it's not quite what one thought it was originally. There's also a lot of expectation and pressure to conform to a particular path in life, and there's pressure to just assume that if one tries hard enough to follow the prescribed path, then things will change and everything will be okay. Then eventually the person realizes that that concept was erroneous.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    If you're not some "maintain the canon" nazi, which you're not since you don't even read the comics
    I'm a "maintain the canon" nazi, and I am that way on principle, even with TV/books/movies/etc that I've never read -- so it's possible. Example: I don't watch "Dr. Who", and literally the #1 reason why I don't is that it doesn't give a shit about canon; I find that attitude sloppy and I don't respect it.

It made much more sense for Northstar to come out as gay, since his writers had always intended him to be gay. That being said, it's perfectly common for people who are married with kids to come out as gay. I don't see that as straining credibility.

So I guess I agree with most other people in the thread?
    Edit: I have just read most of @Jennifer's posts on this thread and I 100% agree with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Comics are soap operas for men/boys.
    So freaking true! And they go on even longer!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    for someone that is so homophobic, lark you definitely seem very interested in alternative sexualities. are you sure you're 100% heterosexual yourself?
    I'm not homophobic and I am 100% heterosexual.

Why would you say either thing other than to shut me up.

Which says a lot about those pushing your agenda. Its not social engineering nor nothing to try and silence alternatives to your own.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Please do, because it seems my understanding of the term is incorrect....though it would seem that most people who routinely use the term are incorrect, as well. I consider the rejection of my understanding of hetero-normativity to lead to idiocy like this: http://nationaljournal.com/thenextam..._search&page=1

As for Swordpath and his motivations, its perfectly reasonable to be annoyed at the anvilicious* nature of this change.

* http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Anvilicious
    That's a very good article, makes me think that ignorance of other demographics has on politics or public policy, I've long thought that, due to the size of the populations in question, the whole gay question is a diversion from discussion of the economy.

Also that when the chips are down and it looks like significant populations will vote in particular ways which could threaten the most privileged in society that those same people want culture wars which they can expect to shore up their privileges for a while longer (I've said that I would elect conservative candidates when it turns into a political battle against heteronormativity even when I'd otherwise never consider it, fiscal conservatism is some kind of disaster, now more than ever).

The extent that a minority has been able to set and control the public discourse and political stage despite their size would suggest that its easy enough for a democracy to be taken for a ride and questions which should be about minority-majority relations take on a different complection entirely. Although it doesnt surprise me, homosexuals, if they want to reproduce themselves, have to do so some way other than heterosexuals do, so its to the cultural and normative arena they go.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He who doth control the comic books doth control the culture. I see.

Once Sesame Street and My Little Ponies fall, humanity will be theirs! Damn them! And ever since howard the duck temporarily became Son of Satan, we should have known!!

More likely if people don't like the product, they'll go elsewhere...the wonders of capitalism in the public discourse seem scarier to me. If you don't have money, you can't buy the time; and if you don't please enough people with your words, you don't get the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I generally think it's more complicated than that. It's not that someone doesn't feel some level of interest/attraction, but one comes to realize as it's explored that it's not quite what one thought it was originally. There's also a lot of expectation and pressure to conform to a particular path in life, and there's pressure to just assume that if one tries hard enough to follow the prescribed path, then things will change and everything will be okay. Then eventually the person realizes that that concept was erroneous.
    See to me, reading that, I think that the alternative hypothesis that consumerism, "choice culture" and "potentiality anxiety" could be as much of an explanation. So what you have is individuals go through selfish mid life crisis and decide that nothing they know is satisfying or living up to expectations, so they make some pretty radical choices amidst that crisis, which could involve drastically altered brain chemistry, bouts of alcoholism or similar trippy craziness too, and our present culture rather than challenging it or even recommending pause for thought will be very supportive of decisions such as gravitating toward homosexuality.

Infact it is often articulated as the only possible or safe or supportable choice in such as situation. Which to my mind is pretty radical. Especially when I've read about famiiles in which the former spouses and children have come to endorse the changing up of sexual orientation.

I'm pretty sure it would be treated differently, by both heterosexuals and homosexuals but particularly homosexuals, were it occuring in reverse. I think I've pointed up before about the post secret posts which are about individuals who have come out agonising about second thoughts that they may actually be heterosexual or at least bisexual.

I really do not think that there's a healthy or realistic public attitude to sexuality per se presently, although it seems just plain wrong that in response to being disatisfied or feeling fails to live up to expectations that you should consider your very sexual orientation. That's just madness. I can think of few other areas of personal and social life were fantasy or imagination can have such import as sexuality, I really would be surprised if anyone didnt experience a measure of "disillusionment" as a result, even if you are a sort of being that isnt taken in by hype so easily pop culture presently does drive up expectations of sex like nothing else, perhaps love in an earlier romantic age but I'm not sure if that's even a good comparison.