First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Quick note on mechanics. A pistol round to the upper chest may break a rib, go through the empty space of the lung, and either pop out the back or roll around inside. Pumped with adrenaline you can stand up, walk around, attack people for another 20-30 seconds before collapsing - even after getting shot in the heart. The guy allegedly kept chewing after being shot once.

I'm unsuprised it took multiple rounds to take the guy down.

Also, a higher ambient temperature, such as what you might expect in Miami, perhaps worked to the advantage of the officer - vasodialation occurs and sends blood to the surface tissue, meaning greater blood flow which means quicker bleed out when shot - however - drugs, which are thought to have been involved, can constrict blood vessels. Stimulants such as cocaine are vasoconstrictors, meaning it would take longer to bleed out.

Strange as it may sound, a baton may have been a more effective choice, physically removing attacker from the victim and knocking him unconscious. But of course, that's a higher risk proposition and not guaranteed to work.
    A head shot with a baton would do it. But I'm sure it was a head shot that finished the job.

The zombie apocalypse has begun.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ

Investigators believe the victim may have been homeless and laying down when the crazed man pounced.
    Ew! He was eating a homeless man's face? That is pretty crazy - you can catch all sorts of diseases from bums.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ew! He was eating a homeless man's face? That is pretty crazy - you can catch all sorts of diseases from bums.
    Yeah. Unwashed food and all.

I'm still not sure why busting him across the back of the head wouldn't be as good as shooting him. Hard to say without actually being involved. I wonder if a sense of horror played into it?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

I'm still not sure why busting him across the back of the head wouldn't be as good as shooting him. Hard to say without actually being involved. I wonder if a sense of horror played into it?
    Yeah, all things considered, if I was in that cop's shoes, I would probably be quite aghast at the whole thing too.

In any case, I don't think society is any poorer because some face eating maniac is dead.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

The Return of the Repressed

This forum is called, "Politics, History and Current Events", but what we are getting here is for a forum called, "Freak Show".

Freak Shows are common and popular on TV in the USA. This is because Americans wear a Walt Disney mask in the never ending hope for a happy ending and a million dollars. And so the gothic nature of the society of the USA is repressed. And what we have here is the return of the repressed, spoken of by Freud.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think the cop did the right thing. The face-chewing guy growled at the officer and kept eating the other man's face when told to stop. He had essentially turned into an animal at that point so it's not surprising he got treated like one.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Quick note on mechanics. A pistol round to the upper chest may break a rib, go through the empty space of the lung, and either pop out the back or roll around inside. Pumped with adrenaline you can stand up, walk around, attack people for another 20-30 seconds before collapsing - even after getting shot in the heart. The guy allegedly kept chewing after being shot once.

I'm unsuprised it took multiple rounds to take the guy down.

Also, a higher ambient temperature, such as what you might expect in Miami, perhaps worked to the advantage of the officer - vasodialation occurs and sends blood to the surface tissue, meaning greater blood flow which means quicker bleed out when shot - however - drugs, which are thought to have been involved, can constrict blood vessels. Stimulants such as cocaine are vasoconstrictors, meaning it would take longer to bleed out.

Strange as it may sound, a baton may have been a more effective choice, physically removing attacker from the victim and knocking him unconscious. But of course, that's a higher risk proposition and not guaranteed to work. Same thing with a taser - an enraged person may be able to fight through it, and if the attacker was touching the victim the victim would have also been electrocuted.

In the end, I find these mechanical details important but secondary to the idea that something had to be done and done quickly. Officer did the right thing in my mind.

(Also I know this is partially a troll thread, but I'm just speaking my mind.)
    Hmm...alright. This is a pretty good rundown for why the policeman probably did the right thing.

It's just hard not to have a negative knee-jerk reaction to police shootings. Especially against an unarmed man. Even if he is engaging in something disgusting.

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post

What a joke of an article, LSD is a single molecule, there isn't a "more potent form". The daily mail is a pile of shit.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Hmm...alright. This is a pretty good rundown for why the policeman probably did the right thing.

It's just hard not to have a negative knee-jerk reaction to police shootings. Especially against an unarmed man. Even if he is engaging in something disgusting.
    Also, it appears in the video that the cop rolls up on the street, gets out of his car and looks over the waist high concrete barrier, then draws his weapon. To club the attacker down would have required:
    - the cop to jump over the barrier into a confined space
    - with an unarmed but enraged opponent who is obviously willing to tear him apart (literally, a man with flesh hanging out of his mouth), and then
    - get in some good swings to take the guy down
    - without getting himself thrown against the girder or concrete, without his weapon being taken from him
    - all without backup.

Also note that despite the attacker being naked, with a concrete barrier and the victim in the way it wasn't entirely obvious that the attacker didn't have a weapon of his own laying on the ground. Which wouldn't be unreasonable to expect, because after all, he did have this other guy down on the ground with his face torn apart.

I suppose he could have used pepper spray...but I think the situation was past that point, ya know? Police brutality and excessive use of force does exist but based on what I've seen here this seems legitimate. Call me yellow but given the option to shoot from a safe position and going toe to toe with some maniac I'm going to go with the first option and I wouldn't feel right ordering a lone cop to get in there and do work with a baton, either.

Honestly the attacker may have been some otherwise decent person who took some really messed up drugs and could have recovered, and it's not ideal that he's dead, but ... one less problem to deal with.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.