User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The headlines should have been "Cops trying to save face after shooting an unarmed man for refusing to stop eating"
    Yup. That's what I got out of it.

Sure he was eating the dude's face, but I think shooting to kill is hardly appropriate. What kind of cops they got down there in Miami anyway?

The headlines should have been "Cops trying to save face after shooting an unarmed man for refusing to stop eating"
    LOL, I get it. But seriously, it's way out of line. The cop was obviously too scared to use non-lethal force in a rare situation in which the cop KNOWS the man is unarmed. This is another case of renegade cops shooting down (potentially) innocent cannibals. I think it's time for a change, just like the Prophet Tupac preached in his last days.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Wow, a news story involving police killing a man where I actually find myself on the side of the police / in support of their actions. Very well then.

MBTI
    XXFP

Oh, I know exactly where this happened. Miami is a weird place.

I'd say lethal force is justifiable when someone is acting to seriously injure or maim. Chewing apart a live person's face falls into this category. Then again, a club and taser would have probably done just as well, but at significantly higher risk to the officer on scene. Hard to say what's going on without more detail.

Detail which may be hard to get now that the suspect is dead. So it goes.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    , but I think shooting to kill is hardly appropriate.
    [QUOTE=LEGERdeMAIN;1859019 But seriously, it's way out of line. The cop was obviously too scared to use non-lethal force in a rare situation in which the cop KNOWS the man is unarmed. [/QUOTE]

But seriously, I think protecting the victim was the consideration of overwhelming importance. The cop deserves to commended for making the right decision under great stress. Had he froze, the attacker might have taken several more chunks out of the victims face. As it turned out, the attacker didn't even notice the first shot. Tapping him with a baton would have wasted precious time. I'm sure the victim's family is grateful.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

But seriously, I think protecting the victim was the consideration of overwhelming importance. The cop deserves to commended for making the right decision under great stress. Had he froze, the attacker might have taken several more chunks out of the victims face. As it turned out, the attacker didn't even notice the first shot. Tapping him with a baton would have wasted precious time. I'm sure the victim's family is grateful.
    Finally, someone talking sense in here. Thank you Not_Me.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    DID THE COPS GO TO FAR? Should they be PROSECUTED for MURDER? WILL THESE WEIRD, NOVEL INCIDENTS BECOME MORE COMMON AS DEC 21ST APPROACHES? Should Cannibals be accepted into mainstream society? If not, should we rehabilitate or exterminate?
    He's a zombie so the best thing is to try for a head shot.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

how can you possibly find this fair??
    why did that man deserve to be shot, even if he was eating someone else's face? was he endangering someone? was there no way to stop him? (was the other man dead already?)
    seriously, your position seems vindictive, and that should never be supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Wow, a news story involving police killing a man where I actually find myself on the side of the police / in support of their actions. Very well then.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    how can you possibly find this fair??
    why did that man deserve to be shot, even if he was eating someone else's face? was he endangering someone? was there no way to stop him? (was the other man dead already?)
    seriously, your position seems vindictive, and that should never be supported.
    Yes, the victim was still alive. Last I read he is in the hospital. The attacker chewed off 75% of his face and attempted to gouge out the victim's eyes.

Is this trolling? The first sentence in the OP quote: "One man was shot to death by Miami police, and another man is fighting for his life after he was attacked." It's right up there.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quick note on mechanics. A pistol round to the upper chest may break a rib, go through the empty space of the lung, and either pop out the back or roll around inside. Pumped with adrenaline you can stand up, walk around, attack people for another 20-30 seconds before collapsing - even after getting shot in the heart. The guy allegedly kept chewing after being shot once.

I'm unsuprised it took multiple rounds to take the guy down.

Also, a higher ambient temperature, such as what you might expect in Miami, perhaps worked to the advantage of the officer - vasodialation occurs and sends blood to the surface tissue, meaning greater blood flow which means quicker bleed out when shot - however - drugs, which are thought to have been involved, can constrict blood vessels. Stimulants such as cocaine are vasoconstrictors, meaning it would take longer to bleed out.

Strange as it may sound, a baton may have been a more effective choice, physically removing attacker from the victim and knocking him unconscious. But of course, that's a higher risk proposition and not guaranteed to work. Same thing with a taser - an enraged person may be able to fight through it, and if the attacker was touching the victim the victim would have also been electrocuted.

In the end, I find these mechanical details important but secondary to the idea that something had to be done and done quickly. Officer did the right thing in my mind.

(Also I know this is partially a troll thread, but I'm just speaking my mind.)