User Tag List

First 412131415 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

wow seriously? can i store that info in my brain as "the truth"? i'm amazed...
    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well it might take a better knowledge on police tactics and procedure, but FYI, a cop doesn't use his/her weapon unless they intend to kill. There's no aiming for the leg, the hand, or firing warning shots into the sky. It's not Hollywood.

Deadly force is typically authorized for police when the person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to the officer or another citizen.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    wow seriously? can i store that info in my brain as "the truth"? i'm amazed...
    Do some research. It'd be an entirely different situation if the guy were only punching the victim, but he was EATING HIS FACE OFF and not responding to repeated commands to cease (instead he snarled with flesh hanging out of his mouth).

@Bamboo did a pretty good job earlier in the thread of laying out the whole scene and why deadly force was necessary.

MBTI
    XXFP

yes, i still don't think he should have been shot (i'd understand a shot to disperse, but not to kill) and i'll only accept it in case the police officer was nervous and didn't know what he was doing.
    anyway two days ago i was telling this story to someone and their first reaction was the same as mine: "why did he shoot to kill"?
    Before things get too heated in here for actual discussion, can you explain your reasoning further?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Apparently bath salts weren't behind his urge to eat human flesh. Interesting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    What % deserved it?

For both.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What % deserved it?

For both.
    Are they beating the poor man with batons?! (watch the whole thing)

http://www.wbir.com/video/default.as...tvideo|article

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

it's very simple, the job of that policeman is to stop the crime, not to judge the criminal. for that you have courtrooms (#1). #2 it's unacceptable to kill people, in any circumstance, unless it is a last resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Before things get too heated in here for actual discussion, can you explain your reasoning further?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

it's very simple, the job of that policeman is to stop the crime, not to judge the criminal. for that you have courtrooms (#1). #2 it's unacceptable to kill people, in any circumstance, unless it is a last resort.
    The man was standing over his victim, who was still alive, and refused to stop eating the guys damn face. Hell, I would have killed the guy... If you are a danger to the life/lives of another/others lethal force is justified...

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm no fan of police brutality, but you have to be really naive to say shooting to kill in this circumstance was unjustified. If you examine the location, and play it out by the description, the police officer had no choice. He had to keep himself safe and others safe. Whatever was wrong with our cannibal, he was no longer recognizably human, and the police officer couldn't wait for back up, tranquilizers, and special ops team. He had to think and act fast.
    The cop could have also stood there and pissed himself too, but he didn't. He probably saved lives.
    He didn't have time to think. Be glad he reacted the way he did.

Why are the zombie land rules coming to mind?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Didn't they try using non-deadly force (shooting him where it wouldn't kill him), and didn't he just look up and growl?

Also, not to be a kill-joy with the zombie stuff (I know that it's easy shorthand), but this is a good article: There Is No Miami Zombie Apocolypse, Just Mentally Ill People With No Safety Net.

I'm surprised he was negative for bath salts--I have a notion that he might have taken some new kind of synthetic that they didn't test for, because that's not the kind of thing that someone does on marijuana (and while I know marijuana use in adolescence can trigger schizophrenia in those predisposed, 30 is later than average for onset in men, and we should consider whether there's a preponderance of evidence in this case for schizophrenia at all). In any case, though, the guy was clearly unwell.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.