Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Not if he's already a violent schizophrenic. It brings on the on-set of schizophrenia quicker, and exacerbates its symptoms in people who already suffer, if they are prone to schizophrenia for existing reasons.

All schizophrenics aren't violent, but if that was his illness, and he was unmedicated and was smoking excessive amounts of weed, this is probably what happened.
    Then that simply means that those with certain psychological dispositions should be forbidden from using such substances (if they weren't already illegal). Also, people who are schizophrenic should probably not be allowed freedom in society, rather they should be safely hospitalized from the general public for their safety and the safety of others.

And pretty much nothing can be done with violent psychotics who are that bad off, so bad off that they eat people's faces. Those people murder prison guards and beat up psych ward staff. I can't believe people are complaining he was shot.
    Indeed, when one has reached such a psychological disposition and has no chance of returning to a sane state of mind, then the proper ethical route may be to simply euthanize the individual. It's cost efficient as well.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Weed makes you crazy and eat people's faces???

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Then that simply means that those with certain psychological dispositions should be forbidden from using such substances (if they weren't already illegal).
    Actually that isn't simple AT ALL, since the primary reason they discovered this is because of adolescents and young people smoking weed, including people who would be too young to buy it legally, were it legal like alcohol.

That's like saying people with depression should be forbidden from drinking alcohol because it's a depressant and could even lead to suicide by a person drinking themselves to death, or dying inadvertently from an accident. How do you propose we do that, hmm?

That would be much too fascist. The only thing that we can do is educate people and make marijuana legal.

Also, people who are schizophrenic should probably not be allowed freedom in society, rather they should be safely hospitalized from the general public for their safety and the safety of others.
    I'm going to try to control myself from responding the way I want to respond to the ignorance of this archaic statement.

You cannot, first of all, keep people institutionalized if they are not dangerous to themselves or others, and schizophrenics in treatment are highly capable of functioning outside of institutions.

People who are diagnosed as violent schizophrenics who are wards of the state ARE kept in institutions, or even in special prisons.

However, because of the cruelty and negligence of the American system, there are many people who do not get the psychiatric care they need. My Russian friend was shocked by it. He said, "why are there so many crazy people in America?"

Because he saw them walking around on the street, there to get lost, die, or kill someone else.

Indeed, when one has reached such a psychological disposition and has no chance of returning to a sane state of mind, then the proper ethical route may be to simply euthanize the individual. It's cost efficient as well.
    I agree with this if they are dangerous and will keep killing.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Actually that isn't simple AT ALL, since the primary reason they discovered this is because of adolescents and young people smoking weed, including people who would be too young to buy it legally, were it legal like alcohol.

That's like saying people with depression should be forbidden from drinking alcohol because it's a depressant and could even lead to suicide by a person drinking themselves to death, or dying inadvertently from an accident. How do you propose we do that, hmm?

That would be much too fascist. The only thing that we can do is educate people and make marijuana legal.
    The means of preventing certain people actually is a difficult task to accomplish. If it were legal, people who shouldn't take it would be barred from doing so (like having their name in a computer database/having retailers not allow transaction of that substance to that person), however any kind of process of that sort would be difficult to implement, and you are right, it would be fascist. That, and they would simply go and get it off the street anyway. Actually rather, perhaps people who associate with mentally ill people should work things out on the individual level and work to prevent certain people from taking certain substances if it results in dangerous consquences.

Although, I have to wonder, if we were to legalize pot, how do you suggest that we keep it out of the hands of those with certain mental illnesses, so as to prevent such psychotic episodes from occuring?

Also, your drinking analogy is flawed; the result of a depressed person drinking alcohol doesn't lead them to dangerous episodes where they might commit cannibalism. It might make them dangerous in different ways though, such as drunk driving or something similar. In fact, a better solution in such a case wouldn't be the prevention of their alcohol abuse, but rather treatment of their depression.

I'm going to try to control myself from responding the way I want to respond to the ignorance of this archaic statement.

You cannot, first of all, keep people institutionalized if they are not dangerous to themselves or others, and schizophrenics in treatment are highly capable of functioning outside of institutions.

People who are diagnosed as violent schizophrenics who are wards of the state ARE kept in institutions, or even in special prisons.

However, because of the cruelty and negligence of the American system, there are many people who do not get the psychiatric care they need. My Russian friend was shocked by it. He said, "why are there so many crazy people in America?"

Because he saw them walking around on the street, there to get lost, die, or kill someone else.
    I wasn't actually refering to people who weren't a danger to themselves or others; I should have spcified that. Granted anyone with severe schizophrenia should be at least monitored closely, medicated, and cared after. Those that can function outside in society though can be allowed their freedom.

Also, I am also appaled by the American Health System and it's failure to ensure the proper care of it's citizens; I think that 25% of all homeless people are supposedly schizophrenic, and I saw a show once about children with schizophrenia who bascially couldn't get the medical help that they needed. There needs to be a majot overhaul within the medical system and its availability to treat any and all people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Weed makes you crazy and eat people's faces???
    Only if you're an introvert and can't tell a face from...say...a Cheeto.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

How the fuck did the bath salt story get out? the news is completly FUCKED UP. Now that they only found marijuana they are goign to use it as a tactic to make it illegal FOREVER
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    STUF

I blame religion, he owned and read a bible and the quran.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

yes, i still don't think he should have been shot (i'd understand a shot to disperse, but not to kill) and i'll only accept it in case the police officer was nervous and didn't know what he was doing.
    anyway two days ago i was telling this story to someone and their first reaction was the same as mine: "why did he shoot to kill"?

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    They aren't. pinkgraffiti is literally the only person online or IRL that I've seen shun the officer's handling of the issue. I'm skeptical that she only said that to rattle the thread anyways.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    yes, i still don't think he should have been shot (i'd understand a shot to disperse, but not to kill) and i'll only accept it in case the police officer was nervous and didn't know what he was doing.
    anyway two days ago i was telling this story to someone and their first reaction was the same as mine: "why did he shoot to kill"?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    Well it might take a better knowledge on police tactics and procedure, but FYI, a cop doesn't use his/her weapon unless they intend to kill. There's no aiming for the leg, the hand, or firing warning shots into the sky. It's not Hollywood.

Deadly force is typically authorized for police when the person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to the officer or another citizen.