User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Honors Student Thrown in Jail! You Can Sleep Safe Tonight, Texas!

Ripped from the pages of Facebook

Honors Student Jailed for Absences

HOUSTON—A judge threw a 17-year-old 11th grade honor student from Willis High School in jail after she missed school again.

Judge Lanny Moriarty said last month Diane Tran was in his Justice of the Peace court for truancy and he warned her then to stop missing school. But she recently missed classes again so Wednesday he issued a summons and had her arrested in open court when she appeared.

Tran said she works a full-time job, a part-time job and takes advanced placement and dual credit college level courses. She said she is often too exhausted to wake up in time for school. Sometimes she misses the entire day, she said. Sometimes she arrives after attendance has been taken.

The judge ordered Tran to spend 24 hours in jail and pay a $100 fine. Judge Moriarty admitted that he wants to make an example of Tran.

“If you let one (truant student) run loose, what are you gonna’ do with the rest of ‘em? Let them go too?” Judge Moriarty asked.

Tran said she is working so hard because she is helping to support an older brother who attends Texas A&M University and a baby sister who lives with relatives in Houston. Tran said her parents divorced “out of the blue” and both moved away, leaving her in Willis. Her mother lives in Georgia, she said.
    “I always thought our family was happy,” the teen said tearfully.

Tran lives with the family of one of her employers. They own a wedding venue. She works at the Vineyard of Waverly Manor on weekends and at a dry cleaners full time.

“She goes from job to job, from school she stays up ‘til 7 o’clock in the morning,” said her friend, co-worker and classmate Devin Hill.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

*Slowly claps his hands together in mocking applause*

Way to go government, you've outdone yourselves once again...

To be honest, I think if she manages to hold a full-time job, a part-time job, and keep honor-student-level grades after missing that much school; she deserves a medal, not a punishment...

Could the judge really have not found a better student to make an example of? Say, a student heading towards dropping out? You know, the kind of student that truancy laws are actually intended to help/regulate?

P.S. I'm getting a "can't find server error" on the link, so if there was something that I missed that wasn't in the quote, I'm sorry about that...

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Just posted in a thread about a guy cooking up his genitalia and thought things can't get worse....it just got worse. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people these days?? Glorifying freaks (aforementioned thread, Jersey Shore, etc.) and punishing people doing the right thing/the best they can. Man, the world is turning into the Twilight Zone or something.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Lol, I guess they rather force the family to go to shambles than allow the kid to work for the family even though she gets top-notch grades. I mean, for crying out loud, she WANTS to work so that her sibling can attend Texas A&M and so that her other sibling can be a child.

What kind of example is this judge trying to set?

Because, quickly frankly, the judge is making himself and the high school look bad.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That judge should be flogged, sodomized, and skinned alive. A worthless pile of brainless horse shit polluting this planet; cleanse it.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

.....are you fucking serious?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    .....are you fucking serious?
    Perhaps a bit of a hyperbole given my initial visceral reaction to the situation, but I do want to see this judge suffer somehow for his stupidity.

She'll probably turn into a dangerous psychopath at a later point in her life, so the government is taking precautions.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Banned

This is completely and utterly insane.

Wait what, the judges name is Moriarty..?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The whole story is insane. Moreoever, since she's still underage, aren't her parents in some way liable for what they've done?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp