User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But, lets not make them out to be the only ones who sacrifice and work hard.
    I don't think this was ever implied. Only that it does take a deal of hard work, risk and sacrifice to successfully get a private business up and running, and for it to become successful.

outsource jobs to china. Problem solved.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    outsource jobs to china. Problem solved.
    We already do that, because of business/employment costs in America. It solves nothing for us in the long run. It's only damaging.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This is only a temporary hiatus

I have already accumulated a large portion of the luck. I have a first-rate education, and at this point, I know several people who are really good at the things they do.

I didn't always believe the luck aspect was so high. I would have said 30% luck or something.

But we also have to look at the resources that a person was giving growing up. Namely, the education they receive, the "track" they were put on as children or young adults, etc.

For a large portion of people, what they got was a crappy education, and no connections in terms of personal relationships to the "superclass". In fact, for many people, the people they grew up with, the people that educated them, etc. were people of relatively low influence or wealth.
    You make your own luck.

I went to an academic magnet public school, and was an IB student. (That high school was number 3 in the country when I graduated. Now it's like number 16 in the southern US)

I received one of the best high school educations this world has to offer for free.

I also went to a public university where I was paid to go through bright futures scholarships.

Some are. I know a few. What's your point?

To clarify, I have a great deal of respect for business owners. But, lets not make them out to be the only ones who sacrifice and work hard.

Also:
    True or False?: Part of the "education" that is given to entrepreneurs is to become adept at using "other people's money", "other people's time", "other people's credit"...other people's resources in general.

I realize that there is a perfectly reasonable way to interpret this, where you make use of other people's resources in a way that will be beneficial to both you and them.

But let's be honest, do all business owners view that as their responsibility? Or are a good number of them just out for themselves?

Anyways, back to work...
    Of course they aren't the only one's who work hard.

To argue that would be ridiculous.

True, utilizing the labor of others to make a greater profit together than either could alone is the hallmark of entrepreneurship.

Most small business owners who are successful over the course of decades understand the importance of paying their employees well.

There are certainly others who do not share this view, but to argue that most entrepreneurs are predatory is as ridiculous as assuming that all entrepreneurs work harder than all employees.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    We already do that, because of business/employment costs in America. It solves nothing for us in the long run. It's only damaging.
    Yeah, if only Americans were willing to work for 10 cents an hour like the Chinese, the outsourcing would stop.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah, if only Americans were willing to work for 10 cents an hour like the Chinese, the outsourcing would stop.
    Well that is a problem. There needs to be more incentive for jobs staying in America and/or rules and regulations that put strict confines on outsourcing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Well that is a problem. There needs to be more incentive for jobs staying in America and/or rules and regulations that put strict confines on outsourcing.
    Tariffs
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTx

Tariffs
    Definitely.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If only China was willing to stop artificially devaluing it's currency.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If only China was willing to stop artificially devaluing it's currency.
    But even that's besides the point.

Think about it, as long as there are yawning disparities between the richest nations and the rest, cheap labor will be available in the developing world.

I don't see anything wrong with this, because that's what capitalism is.

What we need to do, is innovate in industries where outsourcing isn't such and issue. And this is where we come to investment in (and reform of) domestic energy programs and healthcare.