User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 87

  1. #31
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I fire you. I fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more. Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire.

    You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.
    What he should do is gather up a bunch of his like-minded buddies, shut down their businesses, hide out in Colorado as society grinds to a halt, then re-emerge and deliver a two hour sermon on the evils of collectivism. The story alone would make a terrible novel!

  2. #32
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When did he demonize small business?
    His brand of Liberalism, and that of his ilk within the party places more focus on fairness than what works.

    If they had their way the regulatory schemes they would put in place would hamper small business to the point that redistribution would be moot because business owners wouldn't be making any more than their workers anyway.

    You seem to really care about making a distinction between yourself and the wing nuts in the Republican party, yet you use the same vocabulary. Surely you're intelligent enough to see the folly in this.
    And you seem to have nothing but the ability to offer 20th century answers for a 21st century world.

    Shape up and get on the modernization train or be left behind.

  3. #33
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Why the Fringe Sets the Agenda

    The next questioner I'll answer who wins a free Kindle copy of Patriots is Cindy. Please keep submitting questions. Cindy asks:

    The Democrats seem to have found a way to marginalize the far fringes of their base without completely losing their vote, while the Republicans seem currently to have been overwhelmed and taken over by their far fringes. Assuming you agree with that rather generic statement, why do you think that the GOP has been less successful in holding their middle? And, how do you think they can pull back from this current trend? Or, do you think it's possible at this point for that to happen?

    About 20% of America calls itself liberal; about 40% calls itself conservative. That asymmetry explains a great deal of the difference between the parties. The Democrats cannot remotely convince themselves that their base can deliver elections for them. They know they must work to broaden their coalition—and to restrain their base. Their base knows it too.

    The bigger Republican base, however, can imagine itself as representing the majority of the country, or anyway, something close to it. All that's needed is one last push! And when you are so close to having everything your own way—why compromise?

    That aversion to compromise is intensified by a strange fact of American government. Republicans, the anti-government party, depend on the votes of the elderly, the affluent, and the rural—in other words, the American government's redistributional winners. From the point of view of those voters, any compromise will bring only bad news to them. They like things the way they are now! And—in contrast to more prosperous times in the past—they don't today feel they have anything like the margin of security that would allow them to share.

    This is one of the major themes of Patriots: the most affluent have become the most anxious. My selfish protagonist, heir to a mustard fortune, stands in for these winners—and then breaks with them, not because he is so very remarkably generous, but because something in him recoils and rebels at a political game that heaps accumulating rewards on the winners—and only accumulating penalties on the losers.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    His brand of Liberalism, and that of his ilk within the party places more focus on fairness than what works.

    If they had their way the regulatory schemes they would put in place would hamper small business to the point that redistribution would be moot because business owners wouldn't be making any more than their workers anyway.
    Do you have a link? If not, I'm just going to have to assume this is a bunch of hot air.

    And you seem to have nothing but the ability to offer 20th century answers for a 21st century world.

    Shape up and get on the modernization train or be left behind.
    LOL, this is hilarious and ironic considering our discussion in another thread about the future of energy. Someone is stuck in the past, but it's not me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Do you have a link? If not, I'm just going to have to assume this is a bunch of hot air.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

    I don't have to, all I need to look at is his voting record, to say, "oh shit here is all the ridiculous regulation he's voted for in the past, he will probably continue to do so in the future"

    You can hide behind asking me for an article that exactly echoes my views, but I don't need too rely on an article because I follow politics and an have kept track.

    It's not hard to predict trends once you establish a history of past behavior.

    LOL, this is hilarious and ironic considering our discussion in another thread about the future of energy. Someone is stuck in the past, but it's not me.
    I faired much better there than you seem to assume.

    You can try to change the subject all you want, but it's not going to help with the voting public.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
    This is not a matter of opinion. This started with you saying that leftists "paint business as boogie men". So again I ask, who has demonized small business? Surely you can come up with at least one link given how convinced you are that this actually happens.

    I faired much better there than you seem to assume.

    You can try to change the subject all you want, but it's not going to help with the voting public.
    Bob and weave.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #37
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is not a matter of opinion. This started with you saying that leftists "paint business as boogie men". So again I ask, who has demonized small business? Surely you can come up with at least one link given how convinced you are that this actually happens.


    Bob and weave.
    Bury yourself in semantics if you will. That's the only way you can score points anymore.

    What I'm talking about is the voting trend here.

    Get sidetracked in the specifics of what I said if you want, but I'm trying to talk policy.

    And the policy choices (concerning regulation) haven't been successful.

    EDIT - So go ahead and reframe the the debate in a way that takes us away from the problems actually facing the country. And I will bring it back.

  8. #38

    Default

    How unprofessional. Also agree @ygolo I would consider quitting.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  9. #39
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I guess people aren't reading the bolded part at the bottom of the article. I've made the font size bigger.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It is then no wonder you chose not to pursue entrepreneurship.
    This is only a temporary hiatus

    I have already accumulated a large portion of the luck. I have a first-rate education, and at this point, I know several people who are really good at the things they do.

    I didn't always believe the luck aspect was so high. I would have said 30% luck or something.

    But we also have to look at the resources that a person was giving growing up. Namely, the education they receive, the "track" they were put on as children or young adults, etc.

    For a large portion of people, what they got was a crappy education, and no connections in terms of personal relationships to the "superclass". In fact, for many people, the people they grew up with, the people that educated them, etc. were people of relatively low influence or wealth.


    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Some Doctors and Scientists and Engineers are small business owners.
    Some are. I know a few. What's your point?

    To clarify, I have a great deal of respect for business owners. But, lets not make them out to be the only ones who sacrifice and work hard.

    Also:
    True or False?: Part of the "education" that is given to entrepreneurs is to become adept at using "other people's money", "other people's time", "other people's credit"...other people's resources in general.

    I realize that there is a perfectly reasonable way to interpret this, where you make use of other people's resources in a way that will be beneficial to both you and them.

    But let's be honest, do all business owners view that as their responsibility? Or are a good number of them just out for themselves?

    Anyways, back to work...

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Similar Threads

  1. Cover Letters & CVs: from an employer's viewpoint
    By 21% in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM
  2. Are you more different from your four letter opposite or your functional opposite?
    By Such Irony in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM
  3. [SP] An open letter to all SPs from a hard-core INFP
    By Abstract Thinker in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
  4. Psychotic Letters from Men
    By digesthisickness in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO