User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Default What is your opinion on riders (legislation)?

Here is the wiki article about what I'm talking about, if you're lost.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_%28legislation%29

I am extremely annoyed by how they are used, especially with their somewhat recent use in NDAA bills. The NDAA is essentially an annual bill which sets the U.S. Department of Defense's budget for the year, yet using riders there are often little things in the bill such as changing the rules for military detainment, and more recently a section which legalizes the use of propaganda.

The fact that such legislation can piggyback on something like a budget bill is extremely disconcerting to me, especially when you hear politicians saying things like this little gem of a quote from Nancy Pelosi...

So anyways, what do you think? Do you think it's right for unrelated, and often less agreeable, legislation to be able to piggyback on a larger, more supported bill? Do you even have an opinion on the matter?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It shouldn't be allowed to happen. Every single piece of legislation should stand on its own.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I should probably clarify that I realize that they are often necessary because of the sheer volume of legislation that needs to be considered, but how they are often used is irritating to me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I should probably clarify that I realize that they are often necessary because of the sheer volume of legislation that needs to be considered, but how they are often used is irritating to me.
    They're not really necessary. Congress people spend way too much time campaigning and fundraising to actually do their job. If they can't handle the job the way it should be done, they should find a new line of work.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

THIS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It shouldn't be allowed to happen. Every single piece of legislation should stand on its own.
    AND....

THIS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    They're not really necessary. Congress people spend way too much time campaigning and fundraising to actually do their job. If they can't handle the job the way it should be done, they should find a new line of work.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

I have a thing against such legislation, but it is often used even if the public don't like them. If you can't pack a legislation like SOPA and PIPA into one bill, they put parts of those bills onto other bills. I mean, they actually had a small piece of SOPA/PIPA on the CISPA bill even though the grand scheme of things don't sound like those bills.

I'm quite sure they'll keep doing riders in bills that are unpopular to the public. It was almost a given that they will do that.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think it becomes blurry where one category ends and another begins in more complex systems. I think creating criteria for riders might help, but ultimately it is just a stop-gap measure to the phenomena of patterns leaping into situations in which angels fear to tread.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.