User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    That policy works right now. Getting out of this mess is more important than spending any more dollars than we have to to get our energy requirements.

Once we get growing again, we can innovate in the boom.
    We're never getting out of this mess. The jobs are gone, forever.

But in this instant, gas is the cheaper option, not too mention I don't think you're going to be able to create solar powered cars to compete with gas. What about solar powered airplanes are those viable?
    You don't need a solar powered car. You just need an electric car, which we already have, and you can charge it using solar power.

I'm not an aerospace engineer, so I have no idea if an electric plane is viable. If we still have to use fossil fuels for airplanes, I can live with that. What percentage of oil is used for airplane fuel, anyway?

To your last point I say this... Solar and green renewables must be a portion of our energy portfolio, but can only take baseload duties when they can assume that role in a price competitive manner to traditional fossil energy.

If solar was ready to assume baseload duties in a price competitive fashion, they would already be doing so.
    As I said, 2020.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    We're never getting out of this mess. The jobs are gone, forever.
    Well that attitude won't get you very far.

You don't need a solar powered car. You just need an electric car, which we already have, and you can charge it using solar power.
    Still not price competitive. And forcing people to buy cars that aren't as useful for too much money isn't the answer.

I'm not an aerospace engineer, so I have no idea if an electric plane is viable. If we still have to use fossil fuels for airplanes, I can live with that. What percentage of oil is used for airplane fuel, anyway?
    I don't know, but it's not insubstantial.

As I said, 2020.
    I guess I'll have to check this thread again in 8 years.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is pretty good practice for brushing up on the ol' debate skills.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Well that attitude won't get you very far.
    My "attitude" has no impact on the situation.

Still not price competitive. And forcing people to buy cars that aren't as useful for too much money isn't the answer.
    People won't be forced to buy electric cars. The price of gasoline will continue to rise and the cost electricity will fall as solar overtakes coal. People will then choose electric cars willingly.

I don't know, but it's not insubstantial.
    It's not an earth shattering issue, regardless. It's pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My "attitude" has no impact on the situation.

People won't be forced to buy electric cars. The price of gasoline will continue to rise and the cost electricity will fall as solar overtakes coal. People will then choose electric cars willingly.

It's not an earth shattering issue, regardless. It's pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.
    Yea yea yea... and this is the part where I say that won't happen before the crisis is over.

If we choose to stagnate, all of this becomes a pipe dream.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yea yea yea... and this is the part where I say that won't happen before the crisis is over.

If we choose to stagnate, all of this becomes a pipe dream.
    I don't understand your point. Solar will overtake coal by the end of the decade regardless of what happens with the US economy. Nothing "harmful" to the economy needs to be done to make solar viable.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't understand your point. Solar will overtake coal by the end of the decade regardless of what happens with the US economy. Nothing "harmful" to the economy needs to be done to make solar viable.
    Let me put it to you this way.

The most profitable corporations on the planet want to stop this from happening.

Absent some serious trust busting, which I'm a fan of, this will be fought at every step, and will continue to take a curiously long time to make it to market.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The most profitable corporations on the planet want to stop this from happening.

Absent some serious trust busting, which I'm a fan of, this will be fought at every step, and will continue to take a curiously long time to make it to market.
    Exactly.

And anyone who doesn't understand this isn't thinking in terms of real world politics, no matter what is possible.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Exactly.

And anyone who doesn't understand this isn't thinking in terms of real world politics, no matter what is possible.
    Precisely.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Solar energy and other renewables have been making more headway in Europe, where the economic approach is quite different than in the U.S. Depending on how things play out in the global marketplace, that could influence how these technologies fare here.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...