User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Wealth disparity is the only relevant question at this moment, and the conservative answer is uninspiring, to say the least. Especially since it's the Democrats that are giving the conservative answer.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Exactly my point too though ... I don't expect it of you personally, I just grow weary of reading people's opinions on the matter with no real weight to them, no real plan, just a mamby-pandy of "this one person will fix everything, this one party has all the answers, vote for MEEEE!" It just perpetually feeds into the existing system of the have's taking care of the have's ... the way that's become the norm in American society.

I think a two-party system is mostly to blame for that. It fosters the same old story played over and over again ... change your horse to try to change the outcome of the race. Blame the other party for every problem that exists currently. Crazy really, eh? I like to see people work together better.
    I definitely agree. The party system has commandeered what used to be system of smart individuals allowed to use their best judgement.

Now we have parties basically enforcing entrenched group think to the extent that not many exciting or promising ideas come out of our politicians these days for fear of stepping over the party line.

We need to allow our leaders to have original thoughts. Leaders like the moderate stalwart Olympia Snowe.

That sounds good and ooooh I like personal convictions ... what are yours
    I don't know if you've seen the second season of Game of Thrones, but there is a scene where Robb Stark is asked what kind of King would he would want to be.

He pauses and then says the good kind. It's terribly over generalized but I agree with this sentiment.

I am of the opinion that if I were ever to hold office, that every single one of my constituents is my boss. That's not to say that should I represent a district or state, that I would solely vote for largesse for my constituents, my obligation to my constituents would always come in a very close second to what's best for the nation.

Basically, however I can do the most good for the greatest number of people while maintaining my commitment to reasonably sized efficient government, and sound financial policy.

Ya ...

But I have faith in you ... you could do it. Then I want to see you run for office!
    I'm tremendously flattered that you think so.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Wealth disparity is the only relevant question at this moment
    Really?

You don't think that the long term financial prospects of our entitlement systems are a little shaky?

I think there is more to our problems than just inequality.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes it is easier to make fun of something than to rebut it's argument isn't it.
    Its easier yes, although to be honest sometimes its all too easy.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its easier yes, although to be honest sometimes its all too easy.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Really?

You don't think that the long term financial prospects of our entitlement systems are a little shaky?

Its not the benefits system which breeds the greatest and most socially consequential feelings of entitlement though. The rich feel pretty entitled to increasing their wealth despite being obscenely wealthy already.

There's a system in place in which board rooms of companies and chief executives can pay themselves whatever they see fit and the fastest growing ideology amidst the fall out from it is one which redirects public attention from it or wins public support for it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Its not the benefits system which breeds the greatest and most socially consequential feelings of entitlement though. The rich feel pretty entitled to increasing their wealth despite being obscenely wealthy already.

There's a system in place in which board rooms of companies and chief executives can pay themselves whatever they see fit and the fastest growing ideology amidst the fall out from it is one which redirects public attention from it or wins public support for it.
    How many times do I have to say I agree inequality is a problem before you will hear me?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

How many times do I have to say I agree inequality is a problem before you will hear me?
    Yeah but you think inequality is caused by the existence of benefits for those who're socially excluded or dependent on those voting themselves the latest pay rise whether their companies are performing or not.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah but you think inequality is caused by the existence of benefits for those who're socially excluded or dependent on those voting themselves the latest pay rise whether their companies are performing or not.
    I think inequality has risen based on the ability of corporate America lobby for beneficial legislation.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Really?

The issue with the social safety net is that the people who are required to pay into it, in order for it to function, do not want to do so. Furthermore, they have the political power to assure that they do not have to pay into it. They have this political power as a result of their vast fortunes. Others no longer have the power to shift policy in another direction that they once did, as their relative wealth has diminished.

As long as campaigns cost money, wealth disparity leads to political inequality. Political inequality leads to social problems, because people have competing interests. As wealth disparity grows, so does the competition between those interests. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.