User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    From David Frum's Column over at the Daily Beast:

The "Wealth Creators" Are Winning

Frum is a Conservative. Some of us agree with you guys on wealth inequality.

We are not necessarily on opposite sides of this issue.
    @DiscoBiscuit Do you have a social account of any sort where you can share Frum's Column. It'll help drive the point even more.

I've been going through every conceivable party name, category, etc that I can think of that this idea goes through (in America... maybe not much with the Tea Party though....) And, well I've literally help driven Blodget's piece through the roof or... at least I think I have (I still don't intend on stopping until a few other sites start having it near popularity.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I personally hate the two-party system.
    If you had to choose between a two-party (i.e. single-member district, Presidential) system with representatives more accountable to constituents than party bosses, or a multi-party system (i.e. multi-member district with or without a President) where representatives are more accountable to party bosses than their constituents, which would you choose? Because that's basically the choice you have-in my opinion, we have the worst system in the world....except for all the others. Not that we couldn't do with some reform....

California has recently instituted primary reforms that should empower Independent and moderate voters within the context of the two party system (basically, candidates of every-or no-party all compete in the same primary, with the top two vote-getters competing in the regular election). In 'safe' Republican or Democratic districts, this should often lead to two members of the same party competing to attract the support of Independents and moderates, rather than competing to gain the support of the ideological hardliners within the party base.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    If you had to choose between a two-party (i.e. single-member district, Presidential) system with representatives more accountable to constituents than party bosses, or a multi-party system (i.e. multi-member district with or without a President) where representatives are more accountable to party bosses than their constituents, which would you choose? Because that's basically the choice you have-in my opinion, we have the worst system in the world....except for all the others. Not that we couldn't do with some reform....

California has recently instituted primary reforms that should empower Independent and moderate voters within the context of the two party system (basically, candidates of every-or no-party all compete in the same primary, with the top two vote-getters competing in the regular election). In 'safe' Republican or Democratic districts, this should often lead to two members of the same party competing to attract the support of Independents and moderates, rather than competing to gain the support of the ideological hardliners within the party base.
    That's not what we have. Right now we have representatives accountable to their campaign contributors.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

I guess to elaborate further. I don't think I'd mind the two-party system if the electoral college was done away with. I know it's very rare that the popular vote would have resulted in a different result than the electoral college vote resulted in... But the fact that it can happen is what I don't care for.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    @DiscoBiscuit Do you have a social account of any sort where you can share Frum's Column. It'll help drive the point even more.

I've been going through every conceivable party name, category, etc that I can think of that this idea goes through (in America... maybe not much with the Tea Party though....) And, well I've literally help driven Blodget's piece through the roof or... at least I think I have (I still don't intend on stopping until a few other sites start having it near popularity.)
    I do not have an account.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's not what we have. Right now we have representatives accountable to their campaign contributors.
    I think that's more than a little simplistic.

But yeah, you can't publically fund a primary-based electoral system, and campaign contributors will have some amount of influence over representatives. I do not think it comes anywhere close to the level in which representatives are accountable to their constituents.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I guess to elaborate further. I don't think I'd mind the two-party system if the electoral college was done away with. I know it's very rare that the popular vote would have resulted in a different result than the electoral college vote resulted in... But the fact that it can happen is what I don't care for.
    Ah, that's another matter entirely.

I actually like the electoral college, as it reinforces federalism by making Presidential candidates focus attention on the interests of the separate states rather than catering to the interests of the most populous states. Though that was not its original intention, the EC basically serves the same purpose as a bicameral legislature. The only problem I have with it is that not every state technically requires the electors to vote the same way as their district, though that hasn't been a problem in practice.

I saw that piece yesterday..... I couldn't stop laughing.

A rebuttal... lol