User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should governments barcode everyone at birth?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

21 77.78%
  • Undecided

0 0%
  • It doesn't matter what I think. It'll happen eventually.

3 11.11%
123 Last

Default 'Barcode Everyone At Birth' Yay or nay?

Barcode Everyone At Birth from BBC News online Future Tech column.

Each week a global thinker from the worlds of philosophy, science, psychology or the arts is given a minute to put forward a radical, inspiring or controversial idea – no matter how improbable – that they believe would change the world.
    This week science fiction writer Elizabeth Moon argues that everyone should be given a barcode at birth.

“If I were empress of the Universe I would insist on every individual having a unique ID permanently attached - a barcode if you will; an implanted chip to provide an easy, fast inexpensive way to identify individuals.

It would be imprinted on everyone at birth. Point the scanner at someone and there it is.

Having such a unique barcode would have many advantages. In war soldiers could easily differentiate legitimate targets in a population from non combatants.

This could prevent mistakes in identity, mistakes that result in the deaths of innocent bystanders. Weapons systems would record the code of the use, identifying how fired which shot and leading to more accountability in the field.

Anonymity would be impossible as would mistaken identity making it easier to place responsibility accurately, not only in war but also in non-combat situations far from the war.”
    Frankly, I don't think it's improbable... I think it's inevitable. She doesn't discuss all the advantages and she doesn't discuss any of the disadvantages, but it is a pretty short editorial.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think it'd be a good idea.

In Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed the AI which runs the anarchist planet suggests a range of gender neutral names for parents to select which are unique so identities are unique and that sort of ID isnt required.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think it'd be a good idea.

In Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed the AI which runs the anarchist planet suggests a range of gender neutral names for parents to select which are unique so identities are unique and that sort of ID isnt required.
    Interesting.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    yupp

doesn't matter what i think, but i'm vehemently against it. we are not commodities and with a barcode that's what we're saying we are.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    STUF

I think it's a good idea because then I could start an underground business that revolved around removing people's tags.
    Whoops.

All I had to do was read: insist.
    My middle finger went up.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

if you chose to live outside of society and not participate in the rules, eventually society would expand enough where it would force its rules on you.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The Mark of the Beast!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

it's a terrible idea from the perspective of personal autonomy and freedom, but probably largely inevitable.

Banned

+ a GPS device inserted into the brain.