User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: NATO Protests

Default NATO Protests

It's going on now. There is probably more than just a few events that has happened, but these are the ones that have caught my attention so far.

Obama decides to split G8 from NATO summit. G8 is at Camp David and NATO is at Chicago.

Chicago, LRADS and much more.

50(?) veterans will be giving back their medals to the NATO generals. Or, if they can't, they'll be throwing their medals at the building the generals are staying in.<--Our Real Heroes.

Nurses Union rally.

National Lawyers Guild of Chicago making sure government don't take things out of hand (ex: search raids, house warrants.)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzouTMprfPA"]CPD Raids Independent Journalists[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaMZ3c9Xu0A"]CPD Raids Independent Journalists v2[/YOUTUBE]Houses raided, equipment/hard-drive tampered with. Journalists that are following the Occupy movement, many of them just filming the scene although many of them streaming actions by the police in the process. More of these actions have happened yesterday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, if only finals didn't happened the previous week, I would so love to go to Chicago just to see what is happening.

Veterans are currently throwing their medals towards the red zone(not allowed through.)

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

This is just the beginning
    1+1=3 OMFG

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

From David Frum and The Daily Beast:

How to Lose Hearts and Minds

Dear NATO protesters:

I hope you have plans to enjoy yourselves in Chicago next week, because otherwise it's hard to see why you even bother to make the trip. You are certainly not accomplishing anything for your cause, any more than the Occupy Wall Street protesters or the earlier anti-globalization protesters accomplished anything for theirs.

In fact, the recent history of mass left-wing protest is a litany of failure—a failure that people on the left seem incapable of analyzing, let alone acting upon.

Your core problem is this: Your supporters seem to think of protest as an expressive activity, a way for them to tell the world how they feel. But protest is not an expressive activity. It is a communicative activity. If you crave self-expression, join a creative-writing class. If you want to relieve your feelings, see a therapist.

The medium is the message, as the saying goes. People won't hear what you have to say if they don't like how you behave. Or don't understand it. So lose the giant papier-mâché art projects. As for pitching tents in public parks and inviting street people to move alongside you—who wouldn't expect a rapid deterioration into criminality?

Occupy Wall Street's one achievement was accomplished almost at the very beginning: its popularization of the concept of the "other 99%." That was powerful—and it was a message utterly undermined by the hobo camps that defined OWS as a movement of its own oddball 1% rather than the American mainstream. If instead OWS had staged daily 1-hour teach-ins—followed by trash pick-up in the parks where it convened—it might have proceeded to build on its first success. Instead it repelled potential followers.

The violence and confrontation that accompanied the anti-globalization protests of the late 1990s had the same results.

Organizers of left-wing protests always present themselves as helpless to contain the violent margin, the so-called Black Bloc. Maybe. But that self-presentation would carry more conviction if they announced from the start their intention to cooperate with police. "If you break the law, we'll turn you in ourselves and testify against you in court" is a message that would have powerful effect. The unwillingness to cooperate with police to prevent violence likewise sends a message about who you are, what you believe, and what your aspirations are.

Martin Luther King changed minds. The Black Panthers hardened minds. Dan Choi persuaded. ACT-UP repelled.

Yet despite this clear compare-and-contrast, the political left returns again and again to the wrong modes of protest. Maybe puppets, chants, and window-breaking are just more fun. Maybe they lack impulse control. Whatever the reason, the behavior predicts the outcome: they lose.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

very biased piece right there^

I'll lay it out straight.

The only way people can get their voices heard is to protest and make leaders to make movements. However, these things are usually hijacked by mainstream interests. The whole "99%" thing was mearly a protest hijack and instilled bias in those not interested, liek that piece of shit paragraph up there ^. There is merit to the protests, it just takes an open mind to see it and not be taken away by the bias. On the same note, "Anonymous" is going to hijack this into a violent approach. Because as with any protest, things get violent. It will only escalate with the biased polarization and Martial Law will soon get called out. It will be terrorism to be a conspirator at that point. Jusst stay far away from any movement, because people will be easily biased with paragraphs as written above. And in a majority rule society, guess who's going to win?.
    1+1=3 OMFG

FigerPuppet

Veterans throwing their Purple Hearts at a building. HAHA.

Munches, go watch Zeitgeist for the 15th time. Nutter.

NATO rocks! Woooh! Go NATO!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    very biased piece right there^

I'll lay it out straight.

The only way people can get their voices heard is to protest and make leaders to make movements. However, these things are usually hijacked by mainstream interests. The whole "99%" thing was mearly a protest hijack and instilled bias in those not interested, liek that piece of shit paragraph up there ^. There is merit to the protests, it just takes an open mind to see it and not be taken away by the bias. On the same note, "Anonymous" is going to hijack this into a violent approach. Because as with any protest, things get violent. It will only escalate with the biased polarization and Martial Law will soon get called out. It will be terrorism to be a conspirator at that point. Jusst stay far away from any movement, because people will be easily biased with paragraphs as written above. And in a majority rule society, guess who's going to win?.
    Biased...

I'll give you that David Frum is a moderate conservative.

But he also helped found No Labels with William Galston, and is widely recognized as one of the most unbiased right leaning thinkers of our time.

So what have your protests achieved?

What material change have your efforts managed to incite.

You take no role in the policy discussion, aren't directing the direction of the conversation, and are merely a novelty that the MSM will stop in with from time to time to check in on the good fight (which is going nowhere).

Protest all you want, but until the OWS crowd is willing to put on their big boy pants and take a serious position on policy, or have a more active voice in the conversation, I will continue to laugh at the whole thing for the drum circle it is.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Biased...

I'll give you that David Frum is a moderate conservative.

But he also helped found No Labels with William Galston, and is widely recognized as one of the most unbiased right leaning thinkers of our time.
    im talking about the paragragh not the person, prestige is completly irrelevant (and is actually biased when you look at the prestige of said person person and not what i said in contrast to what he said.
    So what have your protests achieved?
    I said stay far away from the movement, and you assume i'm an activist... lol
    What material change have your efforts managed to incite.
    this branches off the previouse assumption, more emotionally toned
    You take no role in the policy discussion, aren't directing the direction of the conversation, and are merely a novelty that the MSM will stop in with from time to time to check in on the good fight (which is going nowhere).
    it was a statement with my perspective of what is going on, idgaf about the semantics of the situation
    Protest all you want, but until the OWS crowd is willing to put on their big boy pants and take a serious position on policy, or have a more active voice in the conversation, I will continue to laugh at the whole thing for the drum circle it is.

you assimilate this separate movement with OWS, and emotionaly judge it in that sense, thus biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Veterans throwing their Purple Hearts at a building. HAHA.

Munches, go watch Zeitgeist for the 15th time. Nutter.

NATO rocks! Woooh! Go NATO!

you're a sensor, don't fool yourself.
    1+1=3 OMFG

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm still at work munchies, but I'll get to you once I can get back to my computer

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

ok. just to make it clear i'm not sticking to any side of the situation. this is all just speculation and predictions.
    1+1=3 OMFG