User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Article said she was in constant, unbearable pain despite medications. Couldn't even get out of bed without her husbands help. I don't know about you but I definitely wouldn't want to go on living like that. Especially if I was reasonably sure the prognosis would not improve and if all treatment options were exhausted. I support suicide in this type of case and hopes the man doesn't go to prison for this.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISTx

This is one of those situations where the man is bound by black and white legislation, but to a reasonable person he should be given a pass. He was arrested on suspicion of committing a legitimate crime, and he will stand trial with due process of law. That's the nature of the beast.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

It was clearly a show of love. Otherwise he would not have stuck around with her while she did it.

I can say that confidently considering their ages. If these two people had been younger then things become much more cloudy to me.

All and all, I still think assisted suicide should remain illegal though. We can't have people going around killing themselves in masses for any old reason (like they would like to).

And with that, I'm out of this thread.

Default 'I want to die': Paralysed bank manager with terminal brain cancer pleads with doctor

Another sad situation where the humane thing to do should be pretty obvious:

'I want to die': Paralysed bank manager with terminal brain cancer pleads with doctor

A terminally ill bank manager with brain cancer has made her last wishes clear – she wants to die.

Grace Sung Eun Lee even managed to vocalise her wishes, telling her parents and the doctors tending to her: ‘I want to die.’

But because the 28-year-old’s parents are deeply religious and belong to a Korean Christian church in Queens, they believe that allowing her daughter to choose death over life is a sin.

The rift in beliefs has led to an agonising legal battle for the family.
    What I'm wondering is, if she is an adult, what right do the parents have to force her to remain alive? Do they have legal authority here?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

@iwakar, I find grouping suicide (assisted or otherwise) with allowing a terminally ill person to die with dignity to be very unsettling.

These two things are VERY different.

Suicide artificially ends a life.

Allowing a terminally ill person to die if she wants to is another thing entirely.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    @iwakar, I find grouping suicide (assisted or otherwise) with allowing a terminally ill person to die with dignity to be very unsettling.

These two things are VERY different.

Suicide artificially ends a life.

Allowing a terminally ill person to die if she wants to is another thing entirely.
    That's just semantics. Forcing a person to remain attached to machines in order to stay alive is artificially prolonging it. Removing her from these machines is being considered "suicide" by those around her. I would not consider it that. I do however, think there are large, unsettling gray areas to traverse for the public between artificially sustained life and artificially assisted death.

This particular young woman has changed her mind it seems, which makes her a weak springboard for the debate to be roused again for media purposes, but the issue needs to be addressed at large.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke