User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What a sad story.

Suicide and assistance of suicide and even incitement to suicide (with certain exceptions like conning somebody into commiting suicide with false information or not assisting somebody who is unconscious and of whom you do not know if they seriously intended to kill themselves, especially as a paramedic, etc.) are legal here in Germany and apparently what he did would be absolutely legal here.

I think the right to end your life is an essential part of human dignity and self determination, but one that should not be toyed with lightheartedly (I just saw a story about a 13 year old Romanian teenager who killed himself because his parents did forbid him to use the computer!!!). That clearly wasn't the case here.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

figsfiggyfigs

It is sad, but I found myself rolling my eyes at the "favorite seat...stream of sunshine.. overlooking a valley". It could've done without the fluff and still told a respectful and sad story.
    I feel for the old man, and his wife. I agree with Gish and Red, I think suicide should be a right, but not one to toy with. In this case, the old man should not be tried.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Imo, it strikes me that, for the most part, acknowledging and accepting voluntary end of life, stirs up the collective's, through the individual, own sense of mortality and an inner existential confrontation that not only most simply aren't ready to face, but, and moreso, the western society as we know it [my rudimentary knowledge hints that other cultures of the East may have a different outlook on these matters and life itself] basically runs and thrives from alluring to the shutting down and deflecting of any residual sense of resilience and drive to seek and face such demons, through the endless supply of any distracting "civilized" vices and business as usual.
    I have my doubts about that hypothesis.

I didn't know passive "assisted suicide", as in this man's case, just sitting by, was a crime, and I'm still not sure why it is. I come at it from the angle @UniqueMixture did, as control and choice over your own future/decisions.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

He did a very brave thing and he was with her till the end. Takes a lot of love to do that.

I think people should have the right to take their own lives, especially if they are suffering, and I'm angry because instead of a calm, peaceful way to die, the illegality of suicide forced her to go to sleeping pills and suffocation, which could not have been too pleasant to experience or watch.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think that the freaking out about the organs was interesting. Maybe her living on through organ donation made it feel less of a loss to him.

This is an interesting way to stand against a law but I could see ways around this that didn't involve him standing in the room saying he was there when the police got there and telling them to "rush!!!" Unless they were hoping to make a stand about assisted suicide it just seems like it could have been orchestrated differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I have my doubts about that hypothesis.

I didn't know passive "assisted suicide", as in this man's case, just sitting by, was a crime, and I'm still not sure why it is. I come at it from the angle @UniqueMixture did, as control and choice over your own future/decisions.
    Feel free tp elaborate on said doubts.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm too distracted by the transplanting of 84-year old organs. I guess there's no age cap? I can't imagine they'd be functioning all that well - depending on the organ, I guess.

Oh but yeah, legalized suicide for everyone.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

One of the problems is that we (at least here in the U.S.) prolong life at any cost without worrying about the quality of that life or how that person will be provided for. Some people want to live no matter what and some people don't. I think people should have that choice, though it should never be taken lightly (FYI--mental illnesses, like depression, are a whole other subject and I'm not including them in my comment.). The problem is that we are all human and that choice will be abused in some way, at some time, so we opt for what we think is the lesser evil--forcing people to live.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

It is extraordinarily difficult for Americans to accept death as a humane kindness for multiple reasons, but not least of which is the terror surrounding potential legal "gray areas." I understand why our government is so reluctant to embrace it for that reason, but I am less sympathetic toward our more narrow-minded members of society for being so damned selfish.

If individuals want to martyr themselves, that's their business. But I take great issue with their desire to force everyone else to take it up as well.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Anew Leaf

I believe very strongly in the right for everyone to choose their own death if needed. (So long as they aren't doing this selfishly via taking others with them.)

It is far more cruel and inhumane to require those who are sick to slowly die when it would be easier for everyone involved if they were allowed to take some meds that make them fall asleep and then not wake up.