User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Read the whole article before commenting please. Apparently Mr. Purdy's wife had attempted suicide before. This is a really sad story, but asks highlights some important questions. Is suicide always wrong? Should Mr. Purdy be imprisioned? What would you do in his shoes? Is it time to legalize euthanasia? If so, what criteria (if any) should be adopted to allow it to go forward? Is this just wrong? How do you feel about this?
    Pretty sure it's legal in the state of Oregon.. euthanisia, I mean.. but nowhere else in the US.
    I support it for people with a definite terminal prognosis, but not for mental illness, where pain has more potential to be managed somehow, and there is a CHANCE for improvement, though the person at the time may be incapable of seeing past their own emotional tunnel vision at the time, so they wouldn't necessarily agree.

People with terminal disease will find a way out if they need to, either way. Might as well help it to be less traumatic in some respects. Having it in a procedural, medical setting, perhaps. Or just knowing that it's ''acceptable,'' in some cases, and helping others to see that, too.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why didn't she do it when he wasn't around?
    Perhaps she didn't want to deprive her husband of being with her during her last few moments. We all want to be at the hospital when a dying loved one finally passes; how is this different?

I for one am a strong advocate of legalizing assisted suicide. And therefore obviously no, I don't believe suicide is always wrong. I think it's tragic when it's the result of depression or another mental health issue, but if it is a carefully considered decision to end interminable and hopeless suffering...

I hope that this poor old man won't be penalized for allowing his wife to make this choice.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah, that'll work, because we live in a small village of approximately 157 people.
    I know, it occasionally happens, though. The world sucks, it can work like for 80% of people, but not for everybody. He shouldn't be punished, we should change the laws, but this will probably have to pay for it anyway.

Imo, it strikes me that, for the most part, acknowledging and accepting voluntary end of life, stirs up the collective's, through the individual, own sense of mortality and an inner existential confrontation that not only most simply aren't ready to face, but, and moreso, the western society as we know it [my rudimentary knowledge hints that other cultures of the East may have a different outlook on these matters and life itself] basically runs and thrives from alluring to the shutting down and deflecting of any residual sense of resilience and drive to seek and face such demons, through the endless supply of any distracting "civilized" vices and business as usual.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I plan to pop my clogs, when I can't live independently anymore (or just before.) This isn't me being callous or anything, but I don't want to end up in an old folks home. That's death before death. And I don't want some stranger (or any one really) wiping my ass.
    The state has no business telling me and my loved ones I can't do it.
    I'm sure as hell not going sit by, and watch a loved one in uncontrolled pain either, I'd ask them or they'd ask me, but honestly, I would not hesitate to assist.

As for the poor man in the above article, he was in a living hell, watching his wife in pain, being unable to do anything. How's going to prison at his age going to be any different? He'll be haunted by his wife's pain for the rest of his life any way. I'd hope they were lenient but, an example has to made.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post

I'd hope they were lenient but, an example has to made.
    Huh?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Pretty sure it's legal in the state of Oregon.. euthanisia, I mean.. but nowhere else in the US.
    I support it for people with a definite terminal prognosis, but not for mental illness, where pain has more potential to be managed somehow, and there is a CHANCE for improvement, though the person at the time may be incapable of seeing past their own emotional tunnel vision at the time, so they wouldn't necessarily agree.

People with terminal disease will find a way out if they need to, either way. Might as well help it to be less traumatic in some respects. Having it in a procedural, medical setting, perhaps. Or just knowing that it's ''acceptable,'' in some cases, and helping others to see that, too.
    I agree with this.

MBTI
    STUF

People should have the right to suicide if they want, it wasn't their choice to enter the world but the right to exit it should be a personal choice.
    Whoops.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Huh?
    I believe the state has no business telling people how they should end their lives, if they have been diagnosed with some terminal condition, or have uncontrollable pain.
    The state thinks it does, so an example will be made of the poor man in the artical laid out by the OP.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I plan to pop my clogs, when I can't live independently anymore (or just before.) This isn't me being callous or anything, but I don't want to end up in an old folks home. That's death before death. And I don't want some stranger (or any one really) wiping my ass.
    I'm sure as hell not going sit by, and watch a loved one in uncontrolled pain either, I'd ask them or they'd ask me, but honestly, I would not hesitate to assist.

As for the poor man in the above article, he was in a living hell, watching his wife in pain, being unable to do anything. How's going to prison at his age going to be any different? He'll be haunted by his wife's pain for the rest of his life any way. I'd hope they were lenient but, an example has to made.
    That attitude is very typical of people who have a high sense of control over their own fate. /random comment. I feel the same way.

I can't help but imagine that this has to do with not wanting young people who are still capable of working to suicide as well
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.