User Tag List

123 Last

Default The TED talk TED doesn't want you to hear.

The Washington Post put this article up today about Seattle-based venture capitalist Nick Hanauer gave a TED talk espousing the position that rich people don't create jobs, and TED is refusing to post it on the pretext that it's too politically controversial.

---
    From the article:

In November, Hanauer wrote a column for Bloomberg View taking direct aim at the conventional wisdom on taxation and job creation: "I can say with confidence that rich people don’t create jobs, nor do businesses, large or small. What does lead to more employment is the feedback loop between customers and businesses. And only consumers can set in motion a virtuous cycle that allows companies to survive and thrive and business owners to hire. An ordinary middle-class consumer is far more of a job creator than I ever have been or ever will be.”

And for that reason, Hanauer said, taxes on the rich would create jobs. “It is mathematically impossible to invest enough in our economy and our country to sustain the middle class (our customers) without taxing the top 1 percent at reasonable levels again. Shifting the burden from the 99 percent to the 1 percent is the surest and best way to get our consumer-based economy rolling again.”

In March, Hanauer was asked to give a TED talk on the subject. The talk went well. “I want to put this talk out into the world!” one excited TED official told Hanauer.

But Chris Anderson, director of TED, wrote that he wouldn’t post the talk because “it would be unquestionably regarded as out and out political. We’re in the middle of an election year in the US. Your argument comes down firmly on the side of one party.”

---
    So what do you make of it all? TED has never shied away from politically controversial issues before; why is this different?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm not sure why TED would shy away from this particular speech, though the fact that they are might end up giving it more publicity than if they hadn't.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Is there anywhere to see or even read a transcript?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Gag.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ENTP

There are subtle nuances going on here.

In other words, he's being bribed. Probably by a US government official.

Getting people to actually think about the system is discouraged. Everyone is in happy land, lost in television, entertainment. This is a very easy method of control, and it works because it makes people docile.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is there anywhere to see or even read a transcript?
    Yes, here is a transcript: http://roundtable.nationaljournal.co...t-show-you.php

I think it's not that insightful of a talk, really, especially compared with Wilkinson's talk on inequality.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Huh, reading the transcript it seems sort of innocuous and something you'd hear from some interest group on a college campus sidewalk, but I don't think it's particularly inflammatory. Attacks on trickle down concepts aren't new.

This is a head scratcher. Unless TED is pulling the patented liberal "We're more afraid of appearing biased than doing what we think is right so we're just going to be huge pussies instead" trick.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Surprise surprise. Talking about an idea that goes against what most TED attendees who are also members of the 1% believe? For shame : D. I'm grateful that at least some are willing to be honest (especially Warren Buffet).
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Surprise surprise. Talking about an idea that goes against what most TED attendees who are also members of the 1% believe? For shame : D. I'm grateful that at least some are willing to be honest (especially Warren Buffet).
    This is the point I came in to make. The move to table the talk was political in the sense of self-interested on TEDs part, not election year politics.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBx2Y5HhplI&feature=player_embedded"]Part of the talk[/YOUTUBE]
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.