User Tag List

First 1234 Last

garbage

TED strives for ideas that are free from religious and political influences. They seem to like controversial ideas to spur thinking, but they still aim for neutrality in many senses.

But the transcript of this talk doesn't seem too terribly politically charged--at least, not as much as some other TED talks. Timing (this being an election year) should hardly be an issue when discussing/releasing ideas in TED's spirit. Besides, everyone is going to hear about this through news outlets and (rightfully) associate it with TED anyway.

/potentially biased TEDx organizer

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'm not sure why TED would shy away from this particular speech, though the fact that they are might end up giving it more publicity than if they hadn't.
    Basically, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I think it's not that insightful of a talk, really, especially compared with Wilkinson's talk on inequality.
    Oh, and this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Timing (this being an election year) should hardly be an issue when discussing/releasing ideas in TED's spirit.
    I find the timing to be highly suspicious.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Here's a statement on why the talk wasn't posted: http://tedchris.posterous.com/131417405

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Here's a statement on why the talk wasn't posted: http://tedchris.posterous.com/131417405
    Thanks. That seems to make more sense.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    The Washington Post put this article up today about Seattle-based venture capitalist Nick Hanauer gave a TED talk espousing the position that rich people don't create jobs, and TED is refusing to post it on the pretext that it's too politically controversial.

---
    From the article:

In November, Hanauer wrote a column for Bloomberg View taking direct aim at the conventional wisdom on taxation and job creation: "I can say with confidence that rich people don’t create jobs, nor do businesses, large or small. What does lead to more employment is the feedback loop between customers and businesses. And only consumers can set in motion a virtuous cycle that allows companies to survive and thrive and business owners to hire. An ordinary middle-class consumer is far more of a job creator than I ever have been or ever will be.”

And for that reason, Hanauer said, taxes on the rich would create jobs. “It is mathematically impossible to invest enough in our economy and our country to sustain the middle class (our customers) without taxing the top 1 percent at reasonable levels again. Shifting the burden from the 99 percent to the 1 percent is the surest and best way to get our consumer-based economy rolling again.”

In March, Hanauer was asked to give a TED talk on the subject. The talk went well. “I want to put this talk out into the world!” one excited TED official told Hanauer.

But Chris Anderson, director of TED, wrote that he wouldn’t post the talk because “it would be unquestionably regarded as out and out political. We’re in the middle of an election year in the US. Your argument comes down firmly on the side of one party.”

---
    So what do you make of it all? TED has never shied away from politically controversial issues before; why is this different?
    It annoys me that this shit is so controversial, its basic Keynesianism, its even more basic than Keynesianism, its just a fact of life in a mass consumption-mass production economy, and I've been saying it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It annoys me that this shit is so controversial, its basic Keynesianism, its even more basic than Keynesianism, its just a fact of life in a mass consumption-mass production economy, and I've been saying it for years.
    Yeah, if you read TED's response to the entire controversy in the link Seymour posted, they're basically saying they didn't publish it because it was basic stuff people had already said framed in a partisan manner.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Yeah, if you read TED's response to the entire controversy in the link Seymour posted, they're basically saying they didn't publish it because it was basic stuff people had already said framed in a partisan manner.
    Perhaps in the sense that its been published before now and is not totally original, on the other hand who HAS said it in the US mainstream like ever? The kiddy libertarians on this forum are pretty representative of what's the mainstream of US capitalist circles, there's pretty much consensus among most demos and republicans on it too.

I'd say that if stuff like this starts registering and the benefits of something other than slow growth and niche economics the rich would be shitting themselves because there'd be nothing like the Randian utopia they want for themselves on the political radar any place.

NB still who cares about them, they didnt care enough not to cause the God damned global economic crisis and double dip recession, their political hacks couldnt remedy it either.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    TED is pulling the patented liberal "We're more afraid of appearing biased than doing what we think is right so we're just going to be huge pussies instead" trick.
    I vote this.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    INTj

If I did not already agree with his position, his presentation would have been too weak to change my mind. He should have presented more empirical evidence rather than simply using himself as an authority. Unlike Buffet, he lacked the star power to be able to do that convincingly.