User Tag List

Default Don't take the Internet for granted.

And in extension, the WWW. It is one of the biggest things we take for granted for this generation and it is sad to see that it may change dramatically near the end of this year. So.... for the rest of you 2 billion users that I will most likely never see in my lifetime... well yeah.

Come December, 193 countries (including the U.K., U.S. Russia, China, etc.) are to "decide" the fate of the internet as we know it. How they choose to decide will speak wonders of what the internet will become. If they come to decide, whether they'd reach an agreement, whether ICANN should be moved to another place, whether more control should be put into place. All those things will affect our experience.

So many events have happened in these last few years that it is hard (even for my government) to ignore it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...275240056.html

History of the Internet, the WWW, and where is it headed.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, let's put ICANN into the hands of China, middle eastern countries, and Russia (all famous for much worse civil rights violations, much worse civil liberties, and renowned for current internet censorship or as being the home of the kgb) that'll open things right up and make the world a fairer place. Fuck.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Yeah, let's put ICANN into the hands of China, middle eastern countries, and Russia (all famous for much worse civil rights violations, much worse civil liberties, and renowned for current internet censorship or as being the home of the kgb) that'll open things right up and make the world a fairer place. Fuck.
    They're thinking about putting it in the hands of the U.N. But I am not sure if that is a viable option or even a safe one. There is so many things going on with the internet that even the American government want some control over it before it gets out of hand (Anonymous, hacking, government taken down, etc.) Then again, I don't even know if the American representative will be going for the talks.

The other option is that the WWW won't be worldwide anymore and that there will only be zones when it comes to the internet (ex: American-Wide-Web) Every other country or continent will end up needing to make their own internet happen or risk having none.

But let's say that something big is going to happen within this year to the next couple years and it isn't a pretty picture seeing all the turn of events happening before my very eyes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

What a great way for the UN to begin the "New World Order".

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@Rail Tracer

I think if it is placed in the hands of the UN there will be a push for representative control by those countries/regions which imo would be disastrous.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned

I get vertigo on this tightrope.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think if it is placed in the hands of the UN there will be a push for representative control by those countries/regions which imo would be disastrous.
    Definitely. I just don't know what we can do to stop them from dividing the internet. Every single government entity wants some form of control over it (with, say Russia and China, wanting the most control.)

Government control: Every nation that saw what happened to Egypt and Libya is terrified. Every government, even the U.S. want the power rested in the government.

IP & Copyright: SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, TPP, and the countless amount of acronyms too many to name the content industries try to enforce throughout the world.

Cybersecurity: CISPA, anonymous, wikileaks, hackers, dissenter, etc, who are seen as "a threat"

Privacy: Everything you do or say on the internet and WWW can be tracked (this is especially true with ... say... facebook.)

It is what they list as problems with no immediate answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I get vertigo on this tightrope.
    That's how I felt when I learned about CISPA.