User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Cool Should political candidates take lie detector tests?

Do you think this would help to make politics more honest? Would they just find ways around it? What if we came up with a brain scanner that could tell if people were telling the truth? If we could scan a person's brain and determine that they were a sociopath or had sociopathic tendencies should such people be kept from positions of power? Should they be incarcerated? Killed? Forced into rehabilitation?

I got this idea from a book called The Truth Machine

"The Truth Machine (1996) is a science fiction novel by James L. Halperin about a genius who invents an infallible lie detector. Soon, every citizen must pass a thorough test under a Truth Machine to get a job or receive any sort of license. Eventually, people begin wearing them all the time, thus eliminating dishonesty in all parts of human interaction, and eliminating crime, terrorism and a great deal of general social problems."

I ask, because I think fields like cybernetics and brain computer interfaces could make things like this possible one day. Plus, it is just kind of a fun idea!
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

yes, this is a wonderful idea
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

no for the sole reason that they have been proven to not really work :/

In what way would it make politics more honest? Its similar to other ideas created by ideologues convinced that the status quo is just a result of career politicians playing the public, like delegation, direct democratic, topical referenda, term limits, name it pretty much.

What's the majority of the publics reaction going to be if politicians had to admit that the ideology driving the remaining active or interested voting population is hogwash that'd never work in practice? Or that corporations and finance capital really call the shots? Or perhaps that they're profile certain issues not because they actually give a damn but because its politically expedient to do so or beause enough saps out there identify with the issue like a football team in the play offs?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Let me just say...

Ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.

I'd pay money to watch a politician try to pass a lie detector test while making their standard claims of what they plan to do during their term.

Permabanned

the assumption is that lying is necessarily evil.
    is it?
    i don't think necessarily.

my assumption is evil is sometimes necessary.
    is it? idk

My inclination is Hell no. The questions matter more than the answers. What would they be tested on exactly?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISTx

No, because lie detector tests are fallacious. They can not prove true or false any more than a pencil can. They can read a physiological response in the body when presented with questions, but what triggers those responses aren't necessarily indicators of guilt or innocence. It is up to the test examiner to decide what they think the readings mean. Fallacious.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Do you think this would help to make politics more honest? Would they just find ways around it? What if we came up with a brain scanner that could tell if people were telling the truth? If we could scan a person's brain and determine that they were a sociopath or had sociopathic tendencies should such people be kept from positions of power? Should they be incarcerated? Killed? Forced into rehabilitation?
    No... abolish money, nationalize property, purge the media, then go after the politicians. Everyone knows that.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Well, to those who say it is too open to interpretation or not accurate, couldn't we do something else then like fmri to see if their neurological structures correlate more towards an altruistic brainstyle or one geared more toward psychopathy? I think people still like to cling to the delusion that physical structures are completely and totally unrelated to things like ethics, morality, intelligence, driving motivational force, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a stretch to say that these things (and these alone) DETERMINE a person's personality or character, but I think if we did proper research it might yield correlations which could help us make more informed descisions about the kind of person we elect to public office.

@LEGERdeMAIN in particular. I guess I think it is more practical to institute small changes like this that don't require violent revolution or a rewriting of the constitution to implement though to a large degree I agree with your sentiment. I'm sure the media would eat this up with a spoon.

Re: lying not necessarily being bad, I agree to some extent. I don't think I implied so in my OP.

@iwakar what do you think they should be asked/tested upon?

@Lark: Is there any particular line of questioning or methodology that would be more likely to create the outcomes you seek?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.