User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmm, well I stand corrected. In other news from that study, I really despise all these claims that children who aren't breastfed are apparently going to be morons. Yes, I know it's on "on average" deal, but I wasn't breastfed and my IQ is pretty darn high, thank you.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think there has ever been a study that shows children who aren't breastfed are going to be morons. They just show an increase in the AVERAGE IQ. Averages are funny that way, they don't always apply to individuals.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Like I said, I know it's a question of averages. And I was employing a bit of hyperbole with the "morons" bit. But whether there have been studies or not, a lot of self-righteous breastfeeding advocates these days do seem to imply that a mother who chooses not to breastfeed is not doing right by her child. Don't get me wrong, I fully support breastfeeding and plan to do it myself when I have kids, but it really should be the mother's choice.

My blog:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It absolutely should be, and I get really sick of this whole "you suck as a mom because you make different loving choices from me!" bullshit. Another good explanation of why I hate this cover:

http://www.scarymommy.com/its-time-t...he-mommy-wars/

Banned

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

LOL that is awesome! "Working Mothers are Failures!"

My blog:

I have too much time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Like I said, I know it's a question of averages. And I was employing a bit of hyperbole with the "morons" bit. But whether there have been studies or not, a lot of self-righteous breastfeeding advocates these days do seem to imply that a mother who chooses not to breastfeed is not doing right by her child. Don't get me wrong, I fully support breastfeeding and plan to do it myself when I have kids, but it really should be the mother's choice.
    Of course it's a mother's choice. But it's good to know what's good for your baby, right? Is information a bad thing because it makes people using formula uncomfortable?

My sister doesn't breast feed (I think it's body image?) and I think she's making a mistake. Just like a woman who feeds their kids junk food. It's not a terrible choice but it's really not a good one.

At one point women who breast fed were considered a bit strange. Science was "better" so of course formula was amazingly wonderful!!!! The pendulum is finally swinging back.

@Nicodemus I love the elbow cover. Put her tank top back on and I think it would be even better.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

And another interesting point.

Why is it normal to drink milk made for a cow's baby but it's gross to drink milk made for a human baby? I had cow's milk on my cereal and in my coffee this morning.

I think using human milk would make a lot more sense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Of course it's a mother's choice. But it's good to know what's good for your baby, right? Is information a bad thing because it makes people using formula uncomfortable?
    No, information is not a bad thing, but making uninformed judgements about other peoples' choices is. And the tone that a lot of people take when "informing" people about the benefits of breastfeeding very often implies that anyone who chooses not to breastfeed is a bad mother.

I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about putting pressure on mothers, but it's just like the debate about what pregnant women can/cannot eat. Studies have shown that caffeine, and even wine, is fine, perhaps even beneficial, in small doses. But when I'm pregnant if I go to Starbucks and order a non-decaf coffee, you know I'm going to get disapproving stares. And now you're not supposed to eat deli meat? I mean, come on, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    And another interesting point.

Why is it normal to drink milk made for a cow's baby but it's gross to drink milk made for a human baby? I had cow's milk on my cereal and in my coffee this morning.

I think using human milk would make a lot more sense.
    And actually I think drinking cow's milk is disgusting. Except in the case of humans raising other species, like kittens and chimpanzees, we are for sure the only species that drinks milk once its weaned, and milk of another species at that! Even though I do think it's kind of nasty, I do use milk in cereal and coffee. But never ever just drink it straight.

My blog: