User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I imagine most of the controversy would be from how it was laid out. The usual strong independent looking women standing with a breastfeeding kid on a chair would be a conflict in the stereotypical packages that form in the minds of the public. The play in cross-stereotyping is often used to stir up certain emotion in images and videos but is often left quiet because of the lack of a possible 'spark' that allows it to be the central focus point. Of course, in this case, the act of breastfeeding is the 'spark' that allows the controversy to open itself up.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    I imagine most of the controversy would be from how it was laid out. The usual strong independent looking women standing with a breastfeeding kid on a chair would be a conflict in the stereotypical packages that form in the minds of the public. The play in cross-stereotyping is often used to stir up certain emotion in images and videos but is often left quiet because of the lack of a possible 'spark' that allows it to be the central focus point. Of course, in this case, the act of breastfeeding is the 'spark' that allows the controversy to open itself up.
    Definitely. Even the age of the child was designed as such -- he's wearing clothes and looks like a "boy," not a baby. Even as this thread attests, there is less controversy over breastfeeding a baby, but opinions differ wildly on how long is "okay" to breastfeed.

But of course that is the question... how long can a woman breastfeed her child before he becomes infantilized? Our culture is arguing with this question to a much older stage -- for example, kids who have graduated college but still live with their parents into their late 20's or longer. It's just another form of "breastfeeding" that people can get hot about.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Lol. What you said reminded me of that scene in me, myself, and irene. I wasn't sure if it'd be kosher to show jim carey doing what that 6 year old is doing so I refrained. Discretion.. yay!
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

That kid is going to need so much therapy when he grows up...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Well, that is what they advocate. Breastfeeding until at least 3. Sometimes as old as 6
    Lol. "They" do not. "They" advocate letting your child self-wean, as all children will do, which is ALMOST ALWAYS done by 3 or so. My daughter was 3.5, my son was 2.5 (though I wouldn't call his a "self-weaning" exactly- I initiated it but I did it gently and over time).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

By the way, about the cover: I don't like it. It's sensationalism and exploitation and it doesn't really illustrate my experience as a so-called "attachment parent." I nursed my children as long as she did, but by that age it was mostly a night time/first thing in the morning thing, not a nutrition thing, and definitely always at home. My kids were learning about privacy and private parts by that age.

MBTI
    IsFJ

That's a pretty goofy-looking cover... Almost looks like the poster for a comedy film.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    By the way, about the cover: I don't like it. It's sensationalism and exploitation and it doesn't really illustrate my experience as a so-called "attachment parent." I nursed my children as long as she did, but by that age it was mostly a night time/first thing in the morning thing, not a nutrition thing, and definitely always at home. My kids were learning about privacy and private parts by that age.
    Exactly how I feel.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have no problem with breastfeeding in public, but I kind of think once the child is old enough to eat solid food, he/she doesn't need to be breastfed anymore. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing in the animal kingdom, as soon as a baby can eat solid food, it is weaned. Not to mention that breastfeeding can (from what I understand) be really hard on the mother. My good friend just hit 6 months with her baby, which is what her doctor recommended as the minimum time to breastfeed, and she was struggling to make it until then.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not primates, Aquarelle.

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

(Please excuse her regrettable choice of fonts- the study is actually very good.)