User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hmm??

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0%-10%

    6 18.18%
  • 11%-20%

    2 6.06%
  • 21%-30%

    5 15.15%
  • 31%-40%

    4 12.12%
  • 41%-50%

    5 15.15%
  • 51%-60%

    1 3.03%
  • 61%-70%

    1 3.03%
  • 71%-80%

    1 3.03%
  • 81%-90%

    0 0%
  • 91%-99(?)%

    8 24.24%
First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 101

  1. #81
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    These poll results are ridiculous.
    I got the idea from this website. Over 300 votes on the poll. It's a political simulator with a lot of crazies on all sides I'm sure (esp libertarians). It seems this site skews more American.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    do you think that those economists could be bought off? It seems to me that economists not working in academia tend to intellectually rationalize the economic system that exists because they work in that field and also because they have spent an entire career populaizing the economic policy of the last 35 years or so, so they are too entrenched in their positions and alienated from the consequences of them to be able to relate to those that have to live w them on a day to day basis.
    It's certainly very possible. Maybe not amongst all contemporary economists, but I imagine at least a certain amount have dedicated themselves to the economic system that they like and not the one the works; or alternatively are dedicated to an economic system that they think works, but in reality it doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    A relatively small minority of people believe that taxation is theft. I (along with many others) believe that taxation itself is not wrong, but that it can be taken to the point that it becomes theft. As for exactly where that point is, that's debatable.
    True; if a tax rate reaches a level where an individual finds themselves losing almost all their wealth, then I think by that point it becomes a gratuitous abuse of government and unfair confiscation of legal tender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Theses people take the risk to be poor, but the rule is that there's a possibility to be rich and see the risk rewarded. Overall, taxes discourage people to take risk to make money and create wealth. Therefore people make less money and create less wealth. Therefore the country become more poor. It's logic.
    I don't follow, how does "Theses people take the risk to be poor, but the rule is that there's a possibility to be rich and see the risk rewarded" lead to "Overall, taxes discourage people to take risk to make money and create wealth"? Where's the connection there?

    Additionally, risks aren't always a good thing. Let's take an example, suppose ten people all decide to take their chances in the business career field. One of those people makes it big, develops a corporation that creates products, service, and jobs, plus benefits through the community via charity. Yes there's a surplus of wealth generated from that decision, however, they were also lucky enough not to fail. Those other nine people? They failed. Thier businesses collapsed, they were in severe debt, and they filed for bankruptcy; they ain't employing anyone else anytime soon. Because they took a risk, one of which was a large risk, they actually ended up poorer and with less wealth overall. So while a risk can carry benefit if someone is lucky enough to succeed, it can just as easily cripple a person economically speaking. In that regard, while perhaps some risks can be accepted, they shouldn't be expected of all people, for no functioning economy can grow if there's too much risk involve (in the same manner that one should never drive a car too fast; you may travel a greater distance, but you increase you chances of crashing along the way).

    Also, provided that taxes aren't too severe, there's no garuntee that slightly higher taxes are going to severly lower incentive amongst businesses to the point where we would see extreme declines in wealth or economic growth. As long as the final profits are worthy enough, capitalists will still venture for that gamble to create more for the nation. Additionally taxes can be redirected back towards them; like giving certain bussinesses welfare in order to give their store extra growth, better employee benefits, or anything that helps increase their level of progress and efficiency (something I'm in favor of).

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    91-99% has the highest score?
    ....please shoot me
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Yeah.

    I guess we are on the Sovietburo Central, not on Typology Central.
    What you guys don't understand is that those that voted for that amount of taxes, merely gauged it as the highest possible amount, not that it actually has to be that high. I actually voted for that entry merely because I was in favor of any tax percantage that lead to the best possible outcome for the general welfare of the nation; so if that tax rate (for variable individuals) is 95% because it'll lead to that result, then so be it; of course that's a hypothetical, chances are there wouldn't be any way to run a nation where any person was being taxed that much, unless of course there was some sort of perfect economic infrastructure designed to support that relocation of wealth, or if the individual(s) being taxed that much are already in a great possession of wealth that actually proves detrimental to the growth and condition of the country as a whole.

  3. #83
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    It should be noted the highest individual tax rate was in fact at 95% in the united states at one point in history. Also, in US history there was a point in time where tax rates for individuals was 0%. I wonder if people would prefer the lifestyle of the 1850s to what we have today.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  4. #84
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    SI, you are on ignore.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  5. #85
    Senior Member Elisius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    SI, you are on ignore.
    Because nothing says "I can refute everything you say." like enforced silence, Gavvy.

    I'd say 90+. The build up funds allows the build up of power and the problems with it. Whereas a high tax in a system of direct or near direct democracy is essentially just everyone pitching together the funds and ideas and seeing what comes to.
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

  6. #86
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elisius View Post
    Because nothing says "I can refute everything you say." like enforced silence, Gavvy.
    I can refute everything people say, but people require a minimum level of intelligence before I accept to spend time taliking with them. If they are below that minimum, they are on ignore and I don't waste my time with them, that's all.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  7. #87
    Senior Member Elisius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I can refute everything people say, but people require a minimum level of intelligence before I accept to spend time taliking with them. If they are below that minimum, they are on ignore and I don't waste my time with them, that's all.
    Aren't you lucky that no one else has those minimums?

    Anyways. You make yourself look like an idiot who gets frustrated easily and can't defend his opinions. So come on, refute a point. Sound smart, prove us all wrong. That's what a forum's for!
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

  8. #88
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elisius View Post
    Aren't you lucky that no one else has those minimums?

    Anyways. You make yourself look like an idiot who gets frustrated easily and can't defend his opinions. So come on, refute a point. Sound smart, prove us all wrong. That's what a forum's for!
    I've ever debated of that issue. I have nothing to prove.

    and you are probably an idiot too.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  9. #89
    Senior Member Elisius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I've ever debated of that issue. I have nothing to prove.

    and you are probably an idiot too.
    I've never seen you make an intelligent comment or a post that's more than two or three lines filled mostly with insults and half digested ideals.
    Let's have some substance shall we? I've put my opinions in the open, if you'd like me to elaborate I will. Afterwards you can refute my ideas and place your own down. I will refute those and so on and so forth until we're so exhausted intellectually that we need sleep and coffee.

    Sound fun?
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

  10. #90
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    It should be noted the highest individual tax rate was in fact at 95% in the united states at one point in history. Also, in US history there was a point in time where tax rates for individuals was 0%. I wonder if people would prefer the lifestyle of the 1850s to what we have today.
    Sophism.

    You should compare the lifestyle of different countries with different tax rate at the same time, not on different time to see how the tax rate is influent.

    Other than that, your analogy fail.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Similar Threads

  1. What do you think America's role in the world should be?
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 10:56 AM
  4. [NT] NTs what do you spend most of the time thinking about?
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
  5. Time to re-evaluate myself (again?) - what do you think I am/could be?
    By TenebrousReflection in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO