0 0%
  • 91%-99(?)%

8 24.24%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I met a woman in Denmark whose tax rate was 75%. She still had plenty of money to live more than comfortably and didn't seem too unhappy about having that tax rate. And the Danes are the happiest people in the world, so they must be doing something right.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The real question is how much does one need to make to qualify for your top rate.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I met a woman in Denmark whose tax rate was 75%. She still had plenty of money to live more than comfortably and didn't seem too unhappy about having that tax rate. And the Danes are the happiest people in the world, so they must be doing something right.
    They're just "happiest" according to a psychological test / survey. I've lived there and they don't seem so happy.

Anyway, Denmark and Norway have large oil reserves (compared to their small population), thus they can't be easily compared to most western countries.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I take it that we form states so that through collective support life is easier in a society than it would be alone. The maximum tax rate may thus be as high as it needs to be in order to make living in that society for all its members as pleasant an endeavour as possible. If it is 90% and I can still live comfortably, so be it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I take it that we form states so that through collective support life is easier in a society than it would be alone. The maximum tax rate may thus be as high as it needs to be in order to make living in that society for all its members as pleasant an endeavour as possible. If it is 90% and I can still live comfortably, so be it.
    Sorry, how did you conflate "all its members" with "I"?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sorry, how did you conflate "all its members" with "I"?
    I am a member as well.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Just for history's sake (the following is data from the united states only):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incom...nited_States#_

If you look at the section titled Historical Income tax rates NOT adjusted for inflation (1913-2010) you will see that taxable income on wages over $250,000 in the United States was 50% or greater from 1932-1986. In fact the rate was 70+% from 1942-1980 during perhaps the largest economic boom time in us history. Only after regeanomics in the 80s did the tax rate fall to the historical lows we experience today.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The real question is how much does one need to make to qualify for your top rate.
    This is where I think an exponential flat tax with only a standard deduction should come in. That way you avoid all that messy jumping from bracket to bracket bullshit. Maaaybe Include deductions of a specific dollar amount for dependents.

I can write an equation if you tell me a) total needed revenues, what the top rate should be, and the size of the standard deduction. I was playing around with this last night (I didn't have revenue needed data) and I think that you could make it so that the rate is about 42% for incomes above $200,00 and begins increasing SUBSTANTIALLY from there.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

That's why it asks about the top rate.

What's the highest rate you would employ for those most well off.
    No kidding. That's what I get for skimming threads at lunchtime.

OK: max rate 50% of income. Income taxes are the only taxes that make sense.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

what you should really ask is what is federal income tax for? the answer is very elusive.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

With a reform of the Tax system, and an end of deductions, I see no reason why the top rate needs to go much above around 22%.

If you don't reform deductions, you can raise the rates all you want, and people will still get around it.

Most don't understand the difference between the tax rate, and the effective rate.
    Very true. Most people also don't understand that raising/lowering tax rates is not synonymous with raising/lowering revenue. My fellow Californians are especially guilty of this.

I think the real question (in a broader sense, not this thread specifically) should be what arrangement produces the most revenue in the long run.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz