User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm well aware.

It's hard enough to get me to fight, that I can say without a doubt if I'm in a situation where I'm fighting as hard a I can, the least of my worries are the legal repercussions.
    Oh so you must have taken it for a while then, how long have you been practicing MMA?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I was there for a pretty solid 2 years, I missed a month here or there, but I was there pretty regular.

I didn't do MMA up in DC in 2011.

Since I moved back, I haven't had the cash to sign a new contract with the gym just yet.

When I do, I'll be back with WMA jax. I think we also have an American Top Team gym here now.

I'd have to go to WMA for a while first just to get back into shape before trying out American Top Team, those guys are super serious with it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I was there for a pretty solid 2 years, I missed a month here or there, but I was there pretty regular.

I didn't do MMA up in DC in 2011.

Since I moved back, I haven't had the cash to sign a new contract with the gym just yet.

When I do, I'll be back with WMA jax. I think we also have an American Top Team gym here now.

I'd have to go to WMA for a while first just to get back into shape before trying out American Top Team, those guys are super serious with it.
    Cool. I didn't know that they had teams. What style(s) did you take?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

My strength is my striking. I'm a Muay Thai guy at heart.

I've got good take downs if I'm not too winded, and I've got a good triangle choke, and a pretty fast kimura.

I trained in combat submission wrestling while at WMA almost as much as I did Muay Thai.

I'm a better wrestler than I am at pure Jiu-Jitsu...

I'm pretty good with a few joint locks, but I don't have very much experience rolling so my defense isn't that good. I didn't go to a ton of Jiu-Jitsu classes.

I've got good ground and pound.

But I'm most dangerous on my feet.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

I fight like a cornered animal.

Protecting its acorns.

Collected for the winter.

I have a black belt in fast feet and a rusty knife.

I can phase through walls.

But I'm most dangerous in low orbit.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

running away...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

***HEADS-UP: I reversed the order of your questions.***

Quote Originally Posted by godscollie View Post
    What do you believe is cowardly and disgusting that sometimes takes place in a fight?
    The most cowardly and disgusting aspect specific to physical violence is initiating it without cause, period.

It is especially disgusting when the act is also one of bullying, when there was no real offense committed by one person toward the other, when violence is used to intimidate, control, oppress, humiliate people just for the sake of meanness.

That type of shit really pisses me off.
    I've never tolerated it in my life, whether someone tried to start shit with me, or be an asshole to someone in my proximity.
    It amazes me how apathetic alot of people are, when something like that is going on right in front of a crowd of people and no one does anything.
    Fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by godscollie View Post
    What are your opinions on head butting?
    At this point, I'm assuming violence has been initiated.
    Again, my issue is why it was started in the first place.
    There are legitimate reasons to beat someone down without mercy.
    If someone has done something so fucked up that it warrants a formal ass kicking of biblical proportions, then I really don't care how it's administered.

A different case, some asshole starts a fight with a guy who doesn't deserve it.
    The guy who was getting picked on headbutts the asshole in the face, breaks his nose and then punches him in the solarplexus knocking the wind out of the asshole.
    Do you have a problem with the headbutt now?
    I'm guessing you might not, because it was used as a tactic against the aggressor, and who initiated the violence without cause.

At some point it is necessary to consider the age old expression: "All is fair in love and war."

I'm for anyone who gets attacked by another person doing whatever they need to do to end the confrontation with as little risk to themselves as possible.

The big questions that come up now are "What about the fact that everyone has a different degree of judgement when it comes down to what deserves an ass kicking and what doesn't?"

That's reality.
    It's also a reason to learn very quickly in life not to fuck with people, because you never know what someone is capable of until they are backed into a corner and feel trapped and in danger.
    It's those moments that can turn even the meekest of people into raging animals.

Some people will say that the law/police departments of the land act as a check and balance against violence.
    As a function of public administration, police departments primary duties are order maintenance and crime suppression.
    REF = http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21100773120581
    So, basically they do very little to PREVENT crime, and can only STOP CRIME if aware of its existence and in proximity of the perpetrators.
    I have no idea how many people actually think about what the potential legal ramifications of getting into a physical altercation are before the first blow is thrown.
    My guess is that the checks and balances that are most responsible for preventing people from resorting to use of violent force are more likely moral and ethical, rather than legal in nature.

I can tell you this though, if you are dealing with a TRUE CRIMINAL, or a SOCIOPATH and they have you in their sights as a target for violence, they have not a single iota of concern about legal ramifications - because their brain is not wired to consider consequences, their primary motivation in life is feeling whatever sick type of satisfaction they do experience, and it is usually at the expense of one or more victims over the course of their lives.
    If you EVER think someone like that is upon you then get the fuck out of their proximity and to a safe place ASAP, and if the worst begins to happen - then do whatever you need to do to protect yourself, have no regard for what harm you might inflict on them, and don't lose a wink of sleep over it anyday thereafter.

We are all children of the universe.
    We did not choose to be here, and thus we have a right to be here.
    And most importantly, none of us were created to be abused.
    No one's purpose in life is to be a victim to one or to many.
    That's not how things work.
    But because each of us has been given free will, it is up to us to protect ourselves (and hopefully each other) from those who wish to harm us.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Although if I get mugged or something, I'd (ideally) do everything that I could to make sure that I'm safe.
    Yes, if someone would try to assault me or someone I love, I don't really care about rules, especially considering I'd be at a disadvantage anyway. I would do whatever I could to end the assault and take care of myself.

I guess though, for men who are having an agreed-upon fight, then they should agree upon the rules to begin with. If they did not set rules, or a fight would just happen in a bar spontaneously, as an observer I would say a man kicking/hitting another in the balls would be very lame ("Butters! Goddammit, stop shooting guys in the penis, you never shoot a guy there!!" ~ Cartman), or continuing to assault someone who is down and not moving or showing any more aggression. Doing stuff that leaves probable permanent damage as well (such as eye gouges) seems pretty unnecessary in a normal fistfight. Unlike the OP, if the fight isn't completely just about "fists," then I don't really see anything wrong with a head butt, there are other ways you can hurt someone in the same way in a fight.

Again, all bets are off if someone attacks someone else and seems to want to kill/permanently maim them. At that point, all rules seem to be tossed out the window.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

if it is a fight with no emotional stimulus ( competition) only first should be used, everyhting else is cheap.

If you are fighting for your life, anythign can be used,

If someone picks a fight with you and you dont wantto fight, headbuts arent that big a deal; high kick him in the face.

If you are the one pickign a fight, prepare for the headbutt.

UFC teaches kids these days to hit people on the ground. I think any type of ground game is cheap ( people usually take people down as a form of "running away" to get the advantage).
    1+1=3 OMFG

Using your girlfriend/wife as a shield in any way. While, using a dead bad guy as a shield is badass.