User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The dude was drunk.

The drunk dude essentially said he had the hots for your sister. How does that diminish your sister's standing in the eyes of the community? How does a fight with him serve to elevate her position?
    I think it does diminish her value [and his value, if he puts up with it]. The jerk talked about her like she was piece of meat. It's disrespectful and his choice of the F word was even more disrepectful.

My dad would give the guy one warning and if the guy was stupid enough to say it again, he would punch the guy's lights out, wrestle him to the floor, and punch him some more until the guy begged for mercy.

EDIT: It doesn't matter if the dude was drunk. Drunk or not, I guarantee you he would remember the beat down and never say it again.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    My Dad would give the guy one warning and if the guy was stupid enough to say it again, he would punch the guy's lights out, wrestle him to the floor, and punch him some more until the guy begged for mercy.
    What if the guy was meaner, stronger, or an armed thug?
    What counts as an honor offense?
    Is it OK to beat or kill family members to protect the family honor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

...and here we go.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

A window to the soul

What if the guy was meaner, stronger, or an armed thug?
    What counts as an honor offense?
    Is it OK to beat or kill family members to protect the family honor?
    I don't know. I can't speak for my dad, and I'm not brave enough to fight. I've only heard his stories and nobody died, but he always won. People respect him.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I can't speak for my dad, and I'm not brave enough to fight. I've only heard his stories and nobody died, but he always won. People respect him.
    Sounds like beer talk.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The dude was drunk.

The drunk dude essentially said he had the hots for your sister. How does that diminish your sister's standing in the eyes of the community? How does a fight with him serve to elevate her position?
    In vino veritas.

It's not that I'm trying to elevate her.

It's about defending her. Where I'm from, you don't talk about people's family members.

That crosses the line, and sitting back and taking it reflects poorly on you. It also let's the bully do the bullying, setting the precedent for behavior that will continue.

I know how to deal with bullies, and how you deal with bullies is stand up to them. You gotta set boundaries, and I did, and we are friends to this day.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's not that I'm trying to elevate her.
    Of course you are. You just said it (below) in so many words.

It's about defending her. Where I'm from, you don't talk about people's family members.

That crosses the line, and sitting back and taking it reflects poorly on you. It also let's the bully do the bullying, setting the precedent for behavior that will continue.

I know how to deal with bullies, and how you deal with bullies is stand up to them. You gotta set boundaries, and I did, and we are friends to this day.
    That's right. Long story short, you upheld (if not increased) your value to a point that was respectable amongst your frat buddies. All of what you said ties back to upholding/increasing value as to maintain/gain respect for the both of you.

The most cowardly action is to fight.

It takes moral courage to walk away.

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Lanton88 View Post
    running away...
    lol

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I haven't been in a fight since I was about 20. More than 10 years. Where I am from, girls fight with words, status and social dynamics. I often thought that the way girls fight (even in grade school) was much more cruel than the way the boys would fight (maybe wrestle around with a few hits - then be done with it).

For me personally, it takes so much for another person to bring me to the point of wanting to inflict physical damage, that random people can not (or have not) had this kind of pull on me. Only someone I love very much could frustrate and anger me to this degree.. and If they did (or have) I love them to much to hurt them.

I agree with Polaris, in that the number of fights I have observed seem to always be ego-driven. Which is silly to me, because my ego says "no stupid bitch is worth going to jail or a permanent scar or injury."

You can call it cowardice, I call it being above what some idiot says or thinks of you and self-preservation.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts